Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Tomlin talks about offensive line

NFL from the sidelines
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.
Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Tomlin talks about offensive line

Mike Tomlin said Wednesday that Jonathan Scott is the team's left tackle moving forward and that there are no plans to move right tackle Flozell Adams to replace injured Max Starks.

Tomlin said that he likes what he's seen of Adams at right tackle and doesn't want to change that. The team also has confidence in Scott.

It also appears that Ramon Foster will start next to Scott at guard instead of Doug Legursky.

Foster started four games in place of Chris Kemoeatu in 2009 and the Steelers like him on the left side.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,279 Times in 646 Posts
Default Re: Tomlin talks about offensive line

Let me guess, he said something like this: "make no bones about it, we are here to win games, its not about style points, we intend to play steeler football regardless of who plays,"
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

"The standard remains the standard, if you will."
Old 11-11-2010, 02:56 AM   #4
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

This has been buggin me for a couple years now too.
LeBeau does to the Steelers defense like any one of us would love to do to Kate Beckinsale... err uhm u know what I mean.
HE MAKES happy STARS outta them -#1 NFL "D" team.
If there is a weird schism within the Steelers' Offense and Defense then Tomlin has to put that in check.
ok, Tomlin and/or BA are not a Dick LeBeau, but Tomlin is smart enough to know (as head-coach) that Offensively we are up and down, all over the map sometimes.

Is there a slight "horse-collar" on Tomlin where he is not given enough control over BA/Offense... ? does Tomlin react more "gently" to "Offense" criticism because Tomlin
professionally is a defense guy, and not an Offense guy ?
Well, Tomlin has to "mentally" fix some of his own "backyard" too !
In other words, is BA Rooney's golfing buddy !!!???, or wtf is goin' on !

Gawd, I know that sounds stoopid, but what else could it possibly be. ?
Our Offense should be atleast close to the calibre our Defense is. It has had 5 years to improve, with consistency, generally-speaking.
Dodging bullitt's, and trick-plays can only go so far. We need to Offesively score points, and manage it, when we critically need it, hence our redzone, 4th quarter MELTDOWN issues.
And yet, there are plenty of "bright-lights" within the Offense, such as Mendy, ......

They says "... Defense wins games...", ya... well NOT without an Offense, it just won't happen.
If that was Tomlin's freekin' "talk" on the Offense, then that is just smoke n' mirrors, behind a mystery, wrapped up in an enigma.
More of the same I guess ?

Last edited by Kanata-Steeler; 11-11-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Jonathan Scott better be up for the challenge. I have plenty of faith in Ramon Foster to do well at left guard for us. As long as Matt Spaeth doesn't have to play tackle we should be alright.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanata-Steeler View Post
This has been buggin me for a couple years now too.
LeBeau does to the Steelers defense like any one of us would love to do to Kate Beckinsale... err uhm u know what I mean.
HE MAKES happy STARS outta them -#1 NFL "D" team.
If there is a weird schism within the Steelers' Offense and Defense then Tomlin has to put that in check.
ok, Tomlin and/or BA are not a Dick LeBeau, but Tomlin is smart enough to know (as head-coach) that Offensively we are up and down, all over the map sometimes.

Is there a slight "horse-collar" on Tomlin where he is not given enough control over BA/Offense... ? does Tomlin react more "gently" to "Offense" criticism because Tomlin
professionally is a defense guy, and not an Offense guy ?
Well, Tomlin has to "mentally" fix some of his own "backyard" too !
In other words, is BA Rooney's golfing buddy !!!???, or wtf is goin' on !

Gawd, I know that sounds stoopid, but what else could it possibly be. ?
Our Offense should be atleast close to the calibre our Defense is. It has had 5 years to improve, with consistency, generally-speaking.
Dodging bullitt's, and trick-plays can only go so far. We need to Offesively score points, and manage it, when we critically need it, hence our redzone, 4th quarter MELTDOWN issues.
And yet, there are plenty of "bright-lights" within the Offense, such as Mendy, ......

They says "... Defense wins games...", ya... well NOT without an Offense, it just won't happen.
If that was Tomlin's freekin' "talk" on the Offense, then that is just smoke n' mirrors, behind a mystery, wrapped up in an enigma.
More of the same I guess ?
Tomlin played more offense in his college days than defense, but he started coaching defensive backs in 1998 with Arkansas and was never asked to do offense again.
He should know offense, but we don't know what control BA has or who's listening to the offensive line coach and such. When a coach is hired or promoted, sometimes to sweeten the deal the GM or Owner gives them control over certain aspects. As in BA might have total control over who starts on offense no matter what, we don't know what his contract is so we can't judge at the moment.
The way the NFL is set up now of days is totally different than what people are used to and it's stupid and doesn't make sense sometimes. Its reallly to put less stress on a head coach and GM but it tends to not work well.

Also I blame 4th quarter meltdowns on the defense, no offense to LeBeau, but his calls totally change in the 4th quarter. And when a team is playing from behind to win, typically their defense is going to play a lot better, and when you try to run the clock with terrible designed Arians plays, the defense will stop the run forcing you to pass at some point.
The bengals game should have been run out, but Mendy was exhausted due to both of his backups getting concussions.. no way is that a coaches fault.

There has to be a point where you have to give some blame to the players. They are the ones out there, they could be more relaxed with a lead and let up leads too, or not play as well on offense, there is so much that has to go right, its impossible to know who to blame unless you were on the sidelines.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,652 Posts

So Legursky and Hills get to dress as the reserves probably. Still reasonable depth, but hopefully we dont need it.

Jon Scott was the LT at Texas before Tony Hills. I have confidence that he can get the job done, but still wish we invested in some decent OT's the past few years instead of 5th round picks always.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,504 Times in 3,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
"The standard remains the standard, if you will."
If we address our ills and really don’t blink in the face of adversity and really let that guide our energy and decision making and continue to do the things well that we’re doing well, we should be fine and should be able to correct these issues. In the short term? Uncomfortable? Absolutely, because this is a competitors’ business and we’re competitors, but Redemption Sunday, if you will, is coming for us in the form of the [New England Patriots] on Sunday Night Football, so we’re excited about that. That medicine is just what the doctor ordered when you look at where we are, having the opportunity to play our rivals on prime-time television.

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=8343

You really can just plug this **** in from a previous week (or year)
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
So Legursky and Hills get to dress as the reserves probably. Still reasonable depth, but hopefully we dont need it.

Jon Scott was the LT at Texas before Tony Hills. I have confidence that he can get the job done, but still wish we invested in some decent OT's the past few years instead of 5th round picks always.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!

I've been saying and writing this for the entire time i've been on this board (the last 2 drafts) and everyone was saying they were fine with the draft Picks...they have no problem with the picks, some cat on here even gave me some semantic bullshit about the draft round of a certain scrub with the last name of Urbick...see a problem now?
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
Steelerfreak58
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8080

"IF YOU WILL!"