Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Fans United

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #31
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689
Default Re: You know you've been living in Pittsburgh way too long when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerDad
I went to the base library here at Davis Monthan and I started talking with the woman at the front desk. After about 5 minutes, she ****s her head to the side and says, "Cambria or Somerset County?" I was a little shocked and said Somerset. She said she was from Altoona and can usually pick out a Wetsern Pennsylvania from a mile away.

I've been told we walk differently too.
I'm surprised she didn't include Blair County when she asked you which county you were from since she's from Altoona. I live in Cambria County. Mostly when I'm talking with someone on the West coast they can't really pinpoint where I'm from unless they're from western Pennsylvania themselves. They just say that they know I'm a yankee...(lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl
Ok then how about pierogies and stuffed cabbage. People here have never heard of pierogies unless they happen to come across Mrs T's at the grocery! And they think that "pigs in a blanket" are hot dogs rolled in dough!
Call the "pigs" halupki when you're talking to people and you'll really confuse the heck out of 'em...(lol). You need to get back to J-town for a visit, girl. You're due for a Coney Island run!
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #32
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Call the "pigs" halupki when you're talking to people and you'll really confuse the heck out of 'em...(lol). You need to get back to J-town for a visit, girl. You're due for a Coney Island run! [/QUOTE]We do call it halupki in my family...wouldn't even bother saying it here! Coney Island is the best! I try to get there twice when I'm in town. They don't have subs here like back home either. They also have never heard of gobs! I'm gettin hungry just thinkin about it.

You've got to be in or near Johnstown if you know about Coney Island???
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #33
SteelerDad

Member Number:

That reminds me......I really miss MTOs!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:34 PM   #34
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Yes I am. Born and raised. But the majority of Pittsburgh is either Italian or Polish. I happen to be full-blooded Italian. Hence, the Italian meal. Not everybody in Pittsburgh eats kraut and pork. At one point in time, Pittsburgh was third in the country with the most Italian-Americans (after NYC and Chicago).
That's interesting. When I was growing up in Johnstown, people from every ethnic background that I knew, had pork & kraut for New Years. Now they would add to it with their own traditional foods as well...Italian - pasta, meats, cheeses. Ukranian...peirogies, halupki. Etc. That's one of the things that I love and miss so much about that area. Such strong ethnic groups - first and second generations in the US. I'm half Croatian with a mix of German and Irish from the other side. My Mom was such a great cook because she learned how to make different dishes from all of her friends...sauce, bread, pierogies, halushki.....
Old 03-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #35
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I guess what some consider strange or "interesting", others consider normal. Eating Italian food on Holidays is something I really don't consider strange, nor do I consider people who eat kraut and pork on New Year's strange. Depends on your upbringing and heritage.

It's just odd questioning somebody's birth place based on what they eat during New Year's. lol. I never knew you had to eat kraut and pork on New Year's in order to be considered a "true" Western Pennsylvanian. Then again, I like to consider myself a Pittsburgher more than a Western Pennsylvanian.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 03-28-2006 at 03:47 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:07 PM   #36
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Quote:
I guess what some consider strange or "interesting", others consider normal. Eating Italian food on Holidays is something I really don't consider strange, nor do I consider people who eat kraut and pork on New Year's strange. Depends on your upbringing and heritage.

It's just odd questioning somebody's birth place based on what they eat during New Year's. lol. I never knew you had to eat kraut and pork on New Year's in order to be considered a "true" Western Pennsylvanian. Then again, I like to consider myself a Pittsburgher more than a Western Pennsylvanian.
Woah! Sounds like somebody needs to chill out. Absolutely no offense was meant toward you or your heritage. I was only speaking of my experience and if you reread my posts it was all complimentary of the entire region, Pittsburgh included. Why would I be any different? I was born and raised there!

BTW as for my"questioning your birth place", it was said in jest. Take a poll...most people eat pork and kraut for New Year's in that region of the country. So what? You can eat whatever you want. And, I never said or meant that anything was strange. I said it was interesting.

I know you can't read voice inflections and tones on a message board but you're definately reading this one wrong. I was interested in enjoyable conversation not controversy from this thread. Not what I expected from a Steeler site. Whew...
Old 03-28-2006, 04:12 PM   #37
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

I'm fine. Hence the "lol". I find it amusing if anything. I simply responsed to your post. Guess I didn't get the "jest".

I also do not recall stating you were any different. I just happen to consider myself a Pittsburgher more than a Western Pennsylvanian. Whatever, take care.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #38
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Glad you "get it" now. You take care too.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:29 PM   #39
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Glad you "get it" now. You take care too.
LOL, right. I'll make sure I eat kraut and pork this New Year's so I can join the rest of Western Pa...lol.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 03-28-2006 at 04:40 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:48 PM   #40
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689

Quote:

Hey you hot Italian Stallion you?(lol). I know floodcitygirl didn?t mean to infer anything derogatory towards you in her post because I know exactly what she?s talking about since we?re from the same area of Pennsylvania.

Cambria County consists of many small communities where everybody pretty much knows everyone else. Floodcitygirl is correct when she said that our area is very rich in ethnic origin and tradition, just as it is in Pittsburgh, but we're on a smaller scale because of the small towns and communities which make up Cambria County. On New Year?s Eve and New Year?s Day, it is tradition to eat pork and sauerkraut in our area regardless of ethnic origin. I don?t think I?ve ever been to a New Year?s Eve party at anyone?s house around here where pork and sauerkraut hasn?t been served. I don?t think I?ve ever been to a club on New Year?s Eve that didn?t offer pork and sauerkraut as part of a meal offered as part of the New Year?s Eve celebration either. That doesn?t mean that other foods may not be included. It?s just what we do around here?(lol). It may sound kind of strange, but that's what we do in Cambria County for New Year's, but it may very well include other foods, as well.

You gonna invite us to your house for the Feast of the Seven Fishes on Christmas Eve?(lol)?

Quote:
You've got to be in or near Johnstown if you know about Coney Island???
Yep, you?re right! I live in the County Seat of Ebensburg and work in Johnstown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerDad
That reminds me......I really miss MTOs!
We?re here talking about good ethnic foods and you want Sheetz MTOs?
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote