Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' Miller returns to practice, ready to play vs. Patriots

Steelers' Miller returns to practice, ready to play vs. Patriots
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_709122.html
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, November 13, 2010

Tight end Heath Miller, who missed the first two days of practice this week because of fluid in his left knee, practiced Friday and pronounced himself ready for Sunday night's game against New England. "It feels good," he said after practice. "I should be ready to go. We planned to give it a test (yesterday). We'll see how it reacts."

Defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps) is out. Defensive end Brett Keisel (hamstring) and guard Chris Kemoeatu (knee/ankle) are doubtful. Keisel and Kemoeatu didn't practice this week.

Four players who started the opener Smith, Keisel, Kemoeatu and tackle Max Starks, who was placed on injured reserve this week will be sidelined against the Patriots. "Those things happen throughout the course of the season," Miller said. "You could walk into any locker room in the league, and I'd be surprised if they've got the same 22 guys starting they had on opening day. It's part of the game."

For New England, safety Jarrad Page (calf) is out. Safety Patrick Chung (knee), guard Stephen Neal (shoulder), nose tackle Myron Pryor (back) and defensive lineman Mike Wright (groin) are questionable.

Free safety Ryan Clark, who joined the Steelers in 2006, wasn't on the roster when New England coach Bill Belichick was accused of stealing signals. "I wasn't here when that was supposedly going on when they won those Super Bowls, so I don't really care," Clark said. "They won those Super Bowls. It's not going to take away whether (or not) it was videotaped."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860
Default Re: Steelers' Miller returns to practice, ready to play vs. Patriots

Great news!If anything,he must be watched and will be a great decoy!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
lol We'll see if he makes his presence felt. I have him as our 18th most valuable starter (of the 22). He is ahead of Kemo, Essex, Keisel and Randel El/Redmen (depending on unit/formation). Hearing he's ready to play makes me yawn. lol If we had lost him for the season instead of Starks, I would have forgotten already.

Last edited by SteelKnight; 11-12-2010 at 11:57 PM.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
MikeHaullace
Starter

Member Number: 16733
Cool Re: Steelers' Miller returns to practice, ready to play vs. Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
I'd rather they just make sure the knee stays healthy, sit him a week, and let Spaeth remind us why he's on the team.

Besides, with us hurting at tackle, I think we're going to really need some beef outside helping Spaeth is huge. In this game, variables considered, seems to be the right move to make.

Sit it out, Heath.
MikeHaullace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

While Heath hasn't really had chances to get going yet........it sure would be nice to see him have a breakout game against the Patriots. He could easily exploit their defense in the passing game.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
lol We'll see if he makes his presence felt. I have him as our 18th most valuable starter (of the 22). He is ahead of Kemo, Essex, Keisel and Randel El/Redmen (depending on unit/formation). Hearing he's ready to play makes me yawn. lol If we had lost him for the season instead of Starks, I would have forgotten already.

You're still an idiot when it comes to Miller.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_709251.html

Miller role adjusts

Heath Miller has had three or fewer catches in seven of his eight games this year and just 20 for the season ... and there is a good reason for it.

Miller has been used more as a blocker, especially lining in the backfield next to Ben Roethlisberger, due to the health of the offensive line.

Now, with Starks out for the year, Miller doesn't expect his role to change much.

"I'm sure I'll be used a little bit in all the phases of the game," he said. "I don't expect my role to change a whole lot."

Miller is on pace for only 40 catches or nearly half as many as last year's 76, the most ever for a Steelers tight end

It's readily apparent to most Steeler fans that Miller is as unselfish as he is valuable to this team. There's probably not another tight end in the league that coming off a Pro Bowl season would sacrifice their stats in the way that Miller clearly has this year. and even more to the point, most aren't good enough blockers that it would even be worthwhile asking them.

You're stuck on your own misguided cause and continue to miss the obvious. Heath isn't even going out in the pattern more often than not when the Steelers pass the ball because he's usually staying in to block! Of the 20 catches he has this season, nearly a quarter of them have come with Heath being used as check down option, after he's already completed a block.

You want an answer to why Heath is being used differently this year? ( outside of the obvious team first nature of the player that should be appreciated by Steeler fans, but for some reason doesn't resonate with you! ) Willie Colon's injury, that's why. It became evident early to the Steelers that Flozell isn't a reliable pass blocker anymore, he gets beat to the edge way to frequently by speed rushers. Heath is the guy who's usually asked to pick up the slack. And instead of appreciating the unselfish nature of a player coming off a career year who easily could have grumbled, pissed and moaned about not getting to do what he likes t do best, you do nothing but continually take pot shots at him and make out as if he's a liability to this team and the offense!

End of sermon, time to go to work.