Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #11
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Risky assumptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELMAN
There is a slight hitch in this romantic scenario. The Steelers don?t need another Bettis.

Snoop Dogg may be a Steelers fan. White and Mr. Dogg may be good friends. And White played for the USC Trojans like starting safety Troy Polamalu. That?s where the connections to the Steelers end.

RB Willie Parker?s home run style also signals a changing of the guard. One touch and Willie is gone, as he demonstrated in the Super Bowl. Parker isn?t in there to wear down the defense like Bettis did. The offense also doesn?t revolve around Parker like it did Bettis, at least at one point a few years ago.
I just do not agree. When I think of White in Black and Gold it is not about romance and I do not drool. The Snoop Dogg reference really has nothing to do with football. And I neither like nor buy into hype.

The Steelers will always be my No. 1 team in ALL of sports. But I'm also an ardent and enthusiastic USC follower and fan. Because of this I haven't missed an snap in a long long long time. There were a only a few lapses when Paul Hackett and Larry Smith were coaching. Players that come out of USC tend to excel in the NFL also - okay Jason Seahorn should have gone into acting.

If LenDale were on almost any other NCAA team last year then he could have easily rushed for 2000 yards which is a benchmark that probably would push his draft value a little higher. Of course I love Reggie Bush but if I had to pick as a Steeler Fan then I go with White. He may not be the fastest guy on the field but he runs with speed and is
highly intuitive.

But, most importantly to me, (if you watched his games) the yardage after the first and second contact was remarkable. And this brings me to Wille Parker. His production in the playoffs was mathematically sub-par. As injuries (they'll come) and the wear and tear of a 16 game season take their toll on our offensive line the "yardage after contact" will become more significant. Waiting around for home runs doesn't sound like Steelers football so I don't see the "changing of the guard" - at least I hope not.

A tailback who maintains speed and balance after getting hit is a tailback that I'd pay for in the first round.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:47 PM   #12
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182
Default Re: Pass on LenDale White.....

the changing of the guard thing was pretty dumb. White could haev had 2500 yard if he was the feature back. He is a stud. You hit it on the head when saying " Waiting around for home runs doesnt sound like Steeler football" It is not nor do i hope that is what we turn into. Everyone loves Parker, but If he is only gaining 2.5 yards per carry and a once in awhile home run.... that may change. I cant see parker being our RB that gets the ball 20-25 times a game for 16 games for 10 years. In White i can see that .. i would much rather have Parker as a compliment or an alternative when needed no matter who we pick up or draft.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #13
MichiSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 959

Anybody who says we should pass on White given the opportunity is crazy... Of course we would get him! He would be the perfect replacement... how could we not?

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me."- Jack Lambert

Go Buckeyes and Spartans!
MichiSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:07 PM   #14
Avoid Lloyd
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1024

I just don't see how you can pass on a player of White's caliber.

If he's there, then you take him.
Avoid Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:27 PM   #15
TexaSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I agree with Diesel somwhat. Our we going to continue to be the bruising, pounding running team we were? Or our we goig for a faster more finesse running game that can throw too? Bettis was awesome, but with Kordell, Tomszak, and Tommy, we had to run, and pound the ball and hope to keep scoring low. Ben gives us a chance at scoring everytime he steps on the field. Our offense may change, because our qb did.
I actually think the bruising running game and finesse passing game can co-exist, and probably better than any other scenerio. If a back breaks one or two tackles and bruises the secondary, that plays well for the passing game. I can see it being a lethal combination.

Haven't we always said that the only thing missing the last eight years was a great QB(and occassionally a secondary)?
TexaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:52 PM   #16
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

Haven't we always said that the only thing missing the last eight years was a great QB(and occassionally a secondary)?[/QUOTE]

We have always needed a QB that didnt lose it for us. Didnt have to have a great Qb, just one that wasnt pissing big games away throwing INT's
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:12 PM   #17
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
if white should happen too fall to the steelers,and they pass.....they better land another polomalu calibre player.i use polomalu,because we passed on johnson for him, which was a wash.
You can't blame the FO for passing on Larry Johnson, at that point our secondary was our weakest link, and Troy had the looks of a Pro Bowl Safety. Plus, at that point we still had Bettis, and we may have been targeting Duce, knowing that he was gonna be a FA the following year. If we had taken Johnson, we would probably be kicking ourselves in the ass too for not taking Troy, so it's kind of a double edged sword.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:54 PM   #18
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031

Jim Russell who wrote the article is always looking at the different angles and options that the Steelers could take.Now that we do have a damn good QB behind the wheel there is no telling what our offensive philosophy will be.We've been so used to run first and pass when absolutely necessary that maybe a lot of us can't see us going in a different direction.I think now that Fast Willie has a year under his belt and the guidance of the Bus for that year we might be amazed at what he'll do in 2006.Big Ben hasn't even thought of reaching his full potential yet,if we can get a deep threat WR it's going to be an interesting year.

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote