Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #41
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Re: Sepuvelda sucks, and so does Randle el!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Wow there's no winning with you is there? I bet 1 average kick he has and the defense doesn't stop a score, you blame him, but the other team that has like 5 terrible punts but the offense can't capitolize on it, you don't say anything about their punter.

Why the hell would I? Stupid point.

]Its rediculous, he's a punter, he's important, but because he isn't perfect you ****ing let hang him out to dry like dirty laundry. Apparently if he was perfect the team would by 9-0 right now because the defense and offense can't do no wrong. The whole team has sucked the past 3 games, he's part of the team so he'll suck too, it happens
Wtf does "rediculous mean anyhow? And the reason I'm calling out the punter is because of the next 7 games probably at least 5 are going to evolve into one score games, games where field position can mean the difference between a win and a loss. If you're looking for a way to kill an hour look at our drive charts at our games and notice starting field position for scoring drives in our games, both for and against. Do this and you're bound to notice that when we start inside our own 25 we rarely score, when we start near the 40 or better we score at a much higher rate.The same goes for our opponents, check the starting field position of the Saints on their scoring drives in that game, and then come back here and tell me that Dan Sepuvelda's inability to punt the damn ball more than 40 yards when he's got a full field to punt to isn't potentially damaging?

And this thread doesn't absolve the offense or defense of anything, it's about one aspect of the game that needs to get better or it's going to cost us.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #42
steelerfan5
Water Boy

Member Number: 4488

Never understood why we signed El. That was a waste. I have no problem with our punter. He may not be the greatest, but he's certainly not the weakest spot on the roster - not by a long hot.
steelerfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #43
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Wtf does "rediculous mean anyhow? And the reason I'm calling out the punter is because of the next 7 games probably at least 5 are going to evolve into one score games, games where field position can mean the difference between a win and a loss. If you're looking for a way to kill an hour look at our drive charts at our games and notice starting field position for scoring drives in our games, both for and against. Do this and you're bound to notice that when we start inside our own 25 we rarely score, when we start near the 40 or better we score at a much higher rate.The same goes for our opponents, check the starting field position of the Saints on their scoring drives in that game, and then come back here and tell me that Dan Sepuvelda's inability to punt the damn ball more than 40 yards when he's got a full field to punt to isn't potentially damaging?

And this thread doesn't absolve the offense or defense of anything, it's about one aspect of the game that needs to get better or it's going to cost us.
The point is he's still above average probably top 10 in the league, but because he isn't top 5 he isn't good enough for you. The problem is you wanting him to be perfect when there isn't a perfect punter in the game except maybe Lechler and another guy, but thats it, no other punter in the league is up to your standards. You just want him to lose a game for the Steelers so you can say you were right. But whether the ball is inside the 5 or on the 20 the defense can't let the other team drive 80+ yards to get a touchdown. If they can't stop them from the 20 what makes you think inside the 10 will be any easier? Especially with this prevent/fail against the pass defense.

And just so you know on those punts that aren't over 40 yards they have a hang time of like 5 seconds, usually the special teams coach calls the play as either a high punt or a long low punt. Low punts typically have big returns. If the special teams unit can't get down there on a high punt, it's their fault not the punters.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #44
zulater
Team Owner

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl.../puntsInside20

Notice where Sepuvelda stands on punts inside the the 20, way down the list tied for 23rd. Now look at touchbacks, tied for second most aka second worst with 6. That's what seperates the men from the boys when it comes to punters, and Dan is below average so far this year.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #45
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl.../puntsInside20

Notice where Sepuvelda stands on punts inside the the 20, way down the list tied for 23rd. Now look at touchbacks, tied for second most aka second worst with 6. That's what seperates the men from the boys when it comes to punters, and Dan is below average so far this year.
He's in the top 10 for like every other stat except those 2... Like i said in another post there has never been a top 10, not even top 20 punter when it comes to inside the 20 and touchbacks. Gardocki was a great punter before he came here, he turned into mr touchback, its the Steelers, they ruin punters, but Dan is still a top punter whether you want to believe it or not.

And its cool of you to just dismiss the defenses is play when the ball is insside the 20 anyways... Yeah... They seem to actually play better when the team has good field position, but when the ball is 20 or farther back teams drive down and get points. But no its the punters fault.

He's also top 5 in fair catches proving my point about his hang time and how its the special teams coach's fault. Plus he isn't a typical punter, when he kicks the balls spin backwards, so kicking it straight towards the endzone, the ball should bounce back if it lands on the 1 or so, he just has been 1 or 2 yards off when doing this.

Also compared to Lechler's stats, the greatest punter in the history of the league, he's only like 2 or 3 yards off of everything else, and he's only 3 touchbacks behind him and has 3 more touchbacks than lechler. And they both have punted the ball 42 times.
Lechler actually has 7 less fair catches and 9 more returns.

Last edited by lionslicer; 11-15-2010 at 08:46 PM.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #46
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I'm pretty sure he's having his best year, statistically. Of all of the players on the team to hold a grudge against, I'm thinking Sepulveda should be way low down on everyone's list.

Randle El seems to do just enough week-in and week-out to merit a spot (so long as he's not our punt returner, where he's not even useless.)
Old 11-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #47
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I'm pretty sure he's having his best year, statistically. Of all of the players on the team to hold a grudge against, I'm thinking Sepulveda should be way low down on everyone's list.

Randle El seems to do just enough week-in and week-out to merit a spot (so long as he's not our punt returner, where he's not even useless.)
I don't hold a grudge against anyone, I just think he's been part of the problem the last 3 games. I think he can and needs to do better.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:07 AM   #48
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868

We can always bring back Paul Ernster
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #49
Acerinox
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15579

Um... yeah... great use of stats on the internet everyone.

Sometimes I wonder if half the guys on here have ever been to Heinz Field. You do know there is a little wind through that stadium right? And if you have the ball in the air for a rather long time then there really isn't a great deal you can do about it? It's all right for Mike Scifres to land the damn thing on a sixpence in his DOME but when 1 yard is the difference between "perfect" and "failure" (according to Mr Zulater) then you might think that atmospheric conditions could be factored in.

What I mean to say is - Zulater lay the hell off Sepulveda. I think he's just fine and you can't find many supporters for your point of view in this thread.
Acerinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:50 AM   #50
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I'm all for sticking to the company line but Sep is starting to look like the Tony Mandarich of punters.

El seems to be much better suited for throwing than catching at this point of his career. Did he get smaller??
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote