Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-15-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Post-New England thoughts

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.
Monday, November 15, 2010
Post-New England thoughts

It was a humbled group in the Steelers locker room following the team's 39-26 loss Sunday night to the New England Patriots.

And it should have been.

The Steelers were soundly beaten in every phase of the game.

Heck, the Patriots even ran for 103 yards.

You knew going in that New England's offense was going to score some points. That's what the Patriots do.

But Pittsburgh's offense took nearly two quarters to finally adjust to playing without wide receiver Hines Ward, who was knocked out of the game with a concussion on a helmet-to-helmet hit – that was not penalized – by safety James Sanders. (Of course it was not penalized. No official would dare penalize Roger Goodell's favorite team. - mesa)

By the time that happened, the Steelers had already dropped three passes in the end zone and Jeff Reed had missed a 26-yard field goal, a chip-shot by any definition.

You can't beat good teams doing that.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger completed one of 10 passes attempts to wide receivers in the first half.

The Steelers were fortunate to be down just 10-3 at that point.

I've seen about all of tight end David Johnson in the backfield that I care to see. If you're not going to block somebody, at least get in their way.

The Steelers had done a good job of tackling in their secondary until Sunday night, limiting the damage from quarterbacks, who were completing over 65 percent of their passes against them.

That changed against New England, which had a number of plays where receivers picked up extra yardage after contact.

If you're not going to cover well, you'd better tackle well. The Steelers did neither Sunday night.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Post-New England thoughts

all the holes we have and all the mistakes and everything, the one thing that stands out for me "post-game" is this:
NE played with fury and fire. Passion. Did you see Brady & crew yelling/screaming and getting fired up on the bench??

Pittsburgh? Tomlin stood there all night like he was constipated, with no emotion at all. Same with the team. Looked like deer-in-headlight, walking zombies.....
Zero fire. Zero passion.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Crappy

A few good things might come from this loss.

1.Realizing that our recieving core needs some work
2.The secondary is pretty close to the same as last year and that won't take us anywhere
3.Getting our Offensive line healthy is key
4.Get serious and finding another kicker(Thank you Jeff Reed for the past few seasons but goodbye)
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
A few good things might come from this loss.

1.Realizing that our recieving core needs some work
2.The secondary is pretty close to the same as last year and that won't take us anywhere
3.Getting our Offensive line healthy is key
4.Get serious and finding another kicker(Thank you Jeff Reed for the past few seasons but goodbye)

True, but with the lack of faith i have in our coaching staff now, i wouldn't even look for changes. Hell, i expect them to "stay the course" even. Like they're completely blind to whats going on.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
True, but with the lack of faith i have in our coaching staff now, i wouldn't even look for changes. Hell, i expect them to "stay the course" even. Like they're completely blind to whats going on.
Maybe they know that mules can't win the Kentucky Derby? When you don't have the right personnel, it doesn't matter what your strategy is. The fact of the matter is the Steelers are not a great team anymore, and it's been the case for 2 1/2 seasons. Sad but true.
I'm wondering what second half they're gonna have this year, but at this point, they're no Superbowl caliber, by any stretch of the imagination.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Drafts have not helped replace a bad Oline...a slow MLB....an overated slow nose.....a pair of slow old DE's...or any DB at all. I realize our line isn't always meant to be sackers but we get no pressure at all. Hood is as good as any of the others but shows no more speed than the older players. Very disapointing!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful

Quote:
all the holes we have and all the mistakes and everything, the one thing that stands out for me "post-game" is this:
NE played with fury and fire. Passion. Did you see Brady & crew yelling/screaming and getting fired up on the bench??

Pittsburgh? Tomlin stood there all night like he was constipated, with no emotion at all. Same with the team. Looked like deer-in-headlight, walking zombies.....
Zero fire. Zero passion.
I know. It made me sick. If I didn't know better it almost looked like they threw the game.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

They gave Brady pass after pass after pass to the flat by backing off 15 yards on every single play. They have a mediocre receiving corps at best but the Steelers made them look like all pros as Brady played pitch and catch all night. Seeing Harrison dropping into coverage over and over is just plain stupid. Brady looked like a scared little rabbit the one time the hounds went after him.Why they didn't do it the whole game is beyond me. And why is William Gay still on this team? He is no better than he was last year.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

1) After watching Gay get burned by a freaking TE for a touchdown..i reiterate my call for a CB in the first round of next years draft
2) LT Jonathan Scott did pretty well last night. i liked what i saw from him
3)Foster played ok, got burned on some inside stunts though...but then i thought so does the guy he plays behind.
4)Can we Please draft for need next year and not 8 more linebackers?
5) LeBeau seems to be have more and more trouble making in game adjustments, i know dude is a legend but... might be time to usher in a new era in the burgh...the zone blitz seems to be getting obsolete
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Thats what i hate about the Steelers the most, they would never make changes during the season and not to mention no one ever gets canned.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote