Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-30-2005, 09:19 AM   #21
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: 4th round pick: WR Fred Gibson

The steelers normally shy away from guys w/ character issues,and me first attitudes, so they obviously felt his past issues were just that, in the past.. or they wouldnt have drafted him. I trust they're judgement since we dont normally make mistakes in that dept. of the draft.

he does need to bulk up alittle bit though and jsut practice and learn the system and he could be an awesome pick up for us.. he's got the size!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:54 PM   #22
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Gibson will wear #11 next season. I like that number for WR's. Recently alot of players have picked it........ I hope he is more like Roy Williams than Kellen Winslow. :)
Old 05-05-2005, 02:20 PM   #23
Avoid LLoyd1975
Starter

Member Number: 376

Be like Roy Williams, that would be a god-send. I like the pick as well. You can never substitute attitude for results. Hopefully his character flaws go away and he focuses more on productivity. Especially because of his history of dropping balls.
Avoid LLoyd1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:23 PM   #24
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I like the lower numbered recievers #11 thats cool. If hines can teach his Georgia alum, to be half as good as himself then we have some hope.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:55 PM   #25
JrRawlins
Water Boy

Member Number: 381

Gibson has to get alittle stronger, and concentrate more... but he has the potential to be great.... hopefully he comes to camp and works hard.......
JrRawlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:59 PM   #26
LuvSteelers4Ever
Water Boy

Member Number: 290

does any one have any stats on him????
LuvSteelers4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:01 PM   #27
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

nobody wants #85?
Old 05-05-2005, 11:16 PM   #28
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrRawlins
Gibson has to get alittle stronger, and concentrate more... but he has the potential to be great.... hopefully he comes to camp and works hard.......
Yeah, that was the knock on him in the draft.. his lack of concentration of times causes him to miss run routes and drop balls. but ur w/ the big boys now fred, its time to go to work!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:41 AM   #29
JrRawlins
Water Boy

Member Number: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
Yeah, that was the knock on him in the draft.. his lack of concentration of times causes him to miss run routes and drop balls. but ur w/ the big boys now fred, its time to go to work!
my feelings exactly, hopefully he comes to play and shows his ability..... they few Georgia games i saw last year, he played quite well.
JrRawlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:37 PM   #30
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Quote:
FRED GIBSON ? PART 1

What was your first Steelers practice like for you when you came in for mini-camp?

It was overwhelming. You had so much stuff that you were thinking about. Basically the playbook, the first day I saw the playbook and tried to come out here and jump into the fire, my head was just spinning. Now I have a better understanding of the playbook.

How much do you think you will benefit from the team?s off-season program, getting a chance to learn things before training camp arrives?

It helps you a lot. It helps you understand. The whole playbook is schemed. If you don?t know the playbook, you aren?t going to play. You need the most coaching that is possible.

How have the veterans been with you so far? Do they welcome you and offer you advise? Has any one guy been particularly helpful and how so?

Antwaan Randle El and Hines Ward are great people. In mini-camp I was complaining to them telling them, I was like there is a lot in this playbook. They said to me to take my time, it?s going to come. Everybody understands. It?s like being a freshman all over again. Every little thing that comes up that I have to ask somebody something I go to El or to Hines and they tell me what I want to hear.

Is it good to have veterans like Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El to learn from?

It is great. I watch them running their routes. They run some great routes. It?s a whole new learning thing for me. I?m coming to the NFL. I was just in college. Looking at Hines and Randle El they have been here four and six years and that?s a long time. Why not look up to them. They are great leaders.

From what you are hearing, what do you think will be the biggest adjust to the NFL for you?

I really don?t know. I think just understanding the coverages. There are so many schemes with the defenses and different teams have different schemes. They throw so much stuff at you. You just have to feel comfortable and get adjusted to the NFL. You just have to keep an open mind and go out there and do what you do best and that?s play football.
It is good to hear Hines and El are such good leaders.....