Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #11
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177
Default Re: Time to panic?

Well, if last night proved anything, it's that NFL analysts don't know jack shit.

I watched Playbook last week and listened to how the Steelers should dominate the Patriots because Ben is a great QB and we have a running game now and how the only shot New England had was to rely solely on Tom Brady. And I wanted to believe.

But deep down, I just couldn't.

The offense has struggled week to week, and its already pathetic O-Line is now chock full of back-up players. And given that the STARTERS on this unit (with the exception of Pouncey, who has played really well) tend to suck so bad that no other team in the league would even dream about using these guys in any capacity, well, safe to say, I knew to expect multiple sacks.

Then you add in our "improved" running game. I'm sorry, but I haven't been impressed with Bendandfall - sorry Mendenhall - for the past three seasons. I know that he's had a few impressive games and/or runs here and there, but the guy is just too inconsistent. He couldn't run against a horrible Browns defense last year when we really needed a win and it was too windy to throw the ball. And now he couldn't run against a crappy Pats defense that gave up 200 yards or something ridiculous to Peyton Hillis, a guy no one had ever even heard of before this season. Now granted, the Steelers did kind of give up on the run early, but multiple 3 & outs and backfield tackles will do that to you.

As for Ben - I tend to go easier on him than most people because he's played behind the worst O-Line I've ever seen year after year (seriously, I'd take the Redskins' O-Line over these guys) and has still managed to produce big numbers and big victories. But he's seemed to be off his game lately and I think that there are three main reasons: 1. trouble focusing in light of all of his recent off-the field problems and other pressures 2. no time to throw and 3. the lack of a WR who can run AND catch. For all of you who were rejoicing when Santonio got the boot, how are you feeling now? Holmes, like him or not, was a game-changing receiver. Ward and Miller are tough, but they're not fast. Wallace is fast, but he's not tough and occasionally gets a case of the Sweeds and drops important passes. And Randel El is worthless except on the occasional gadget play. Sanders might evolve into a true threat, but for now, he hasn't really stood out. Holmes was tough AND fast... the kind of WR who could take a 10-yard pass and turn it into a 40-yard TD. Just look at his game winner against Cleveland yesterday. THAT is what we are missing.

Finally, can we all finally agree that our defense is the most overrated unit in the NFL? I'm so sick of listening to these so-called experts gush over how brilliant the Steeler defense is, only to watch them get carved up either in the 4th quarter, or throughout the entire game, like last night. You want to know how to beat Pittsburgh? That's easy. Throw the ball. To anyone. Hell, just throw it up for grabs; it doesn't matter. Of course, if you want a surefire touchdown on every pass, just throw at William Gay. And no, I don't mean throw in his general direction. Throw it DIRECTLY AT HIM as if he were the intended receiver. Guaranteed, one of your WRs will get to it before he does.

Ultimately, failure starts at the top. People have been chanting "Fire Bruce Arians" in Pittsburgh for years, and it's time that happened, but I think a bigger house cleaning is necessary. Mike Tomlin has been coasting on Bill Cowher's legacy for long enough. He has no ideas, no solutions, and no clue how to coach a team that needs leadership. The only reason he has a Super Bowl ring is because he inherited a mostly complete team. And I also would go so far as to say that it's time for Dick LeBeau to retire. He is one of the greatest coaches of all time. But after last season and what we've seen of this one, I'm starting to think that the game has passed him by. His schemes no longer seem to be effective, and offenses all over the league are exploiting that. It might be time to bring in a fresh mind.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishSteel View Post
As long as the words 'unleash' and 'hell' aren't in there!

We're a beat up team, who are showing now that we're short on back-ups in key areas. Part of it is bad luck, part of it is having ageing players on both lines (Thank God we took Pouncey in Rd1 last year - I wanted us to go for Earl Thomas) and that compounds the injury situation, part of it is lack of talent in key positions and part of it is coaching.

We are still in the mix-up though, even with last nights f**k-up fresh in the mind - The Pats showed against the Browns what we showed against the Pats - that there are no elite teams in the AFC. It's still there if we want it badly enough. The question is, do we want it badly enough? And that's where your HC earns the big bucks, and last night's game proved why Bellicheat, for a much as I loathe him, is still the best head coach in the NFL - now Tomlin needs to step up.

For what it's worth, I think we'll finish 11-5, with loses against the Jets and the Rats, but make it as a wild card. For that to happen, we'll need to show a lot more than we did last night - the Raiders and Browns are both plenty good enough to beat us on last night's showing.
I do not want to hear about injuries. That is an excuse. It is not why we are losing. We had offensive issues all season. We were giving up passing yards late in games all season. Our kicker has stunk all season. Bruce Arians has been worthless all season.

The GB Packers have more serious injuries then we do, yet they are getting better and we are not.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
BritishSteel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
I do not want to hear about injuries. That is an excuse. It is not why we are losing. We had offensive issues all season. We were giving up passing yards late in games all season. Our kicker has stunk all season. Bruce Arians has been worthless all season.

The GB Packers have more serious injuries then we do, yet they are getting better and we are not.
Whch, if you read my post, is my point. There's no point denying we don't have injuries, because we do, just as there's no point denying that were better in the trenches with Starks and Smith than we obviously are when they're out. My point about us being beat up is that we don't have the quality of players to step in when we do have key players go down, and with aging lines, you have to draft with that in mind - we haven't done so, and that's where the fault is.

Injuries affect every team, it's how you factor for them that separates the men from the boys - we haven't and we're paying for it. I also raised the coaching issues and holes in key personnel areas.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

We banked on the old guys on defense having Enough left to get us through this season. Smith and Keisel are out as expected, Hampton is overpaid and overrated. Hood looks like a average player who was drafted in round 1. We are so slow up front and in the middle it's easy to exploite. Farrior is nothing but a backup now and that's all Foote ever was.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Hood looks like a average player who was drafted in round 1.

This is quite ANOTHER concern. You would think he'd be somewhat of a beast out there, but just really looks like a uniform with a number on it.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #16
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Ehh...I've seen enough good years and bad years to not "panic" anymore. Season's only a little over halfway over now, and they are 6-3. Similar to '08 and '09 in record...so I guess it could go either way or somewhere in between.

Yeah, I know that's a broad statement to make. But it's true. All predictions are pointless right now b/c the Steelers are in a position where anything could happen. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #17
Vinseyes50
Water Boy

Member Number: 16691

We need to release GAY he is by far the worse D back i ve ever seen... He doesnt try hard enough....on top of it...how can a 240 lb tight end burn him on so many plays...He stinks and the Steelers will lose more games with him.....
Vinseyes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #18
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

I was concerned after the the Titans game. If this team somehow drags itself into the playoffs, they'll need miracles to win anything.

We can't release anyone and just pull off people off the street, the coaches need to buckle down and coach and not lose the players this point in the season.

This could easily turn into one of Cowher's late 90's seasons where they looked good at the begining of the season then flatline at the mid point. 3 straight seasons the team started 5-3 or better and ended the season 7-9 6-10 and 9-7
This seems like another bad steeler season.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #19
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

I really have two worries about what could (or is most likely to) happen this season.

1. The Steelers have another LONG losing streak like they did last year, knocking them out of playoff contention. A bad thing for sure, but if could (possibly) lead to some actual ACTIVITY during free agency and a draft that doesn't leave fans dumbfounded. Although more than likely it would result in something profoundly stupid like Art Rooney II climbing up on his high horse, blaming all of the season's problems on Ben's legal troubles and trading him to the Browns for a 6th round pick in 2017 or something.

2. We manage to scrape by and win a string of close games (like in 2008) and make it into the playoffs, thereby leaving the "experts" to deem the season a success, which will lead to the coaching staff and the front office to fail to address any of the team's issues and we'll have another dormant period during free agency and a sub-par draft.

Of course, there's always the chance that this horrid game will light a fire under everyone's asses and they'll play lights out through the end of the season, but I don't know if I can say that without laughing.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #20
BlackAndGold4Ever
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 8179

Hopefully we learn from this loss and beat the Raiders (whom were terrible last year and beat us at home). Im not hitting the panic button yet, but if we look as anemic against the Raiders as we did against the Pats the alarms will be sounding

www.steelersinhoboken.com
BlackAndGold4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote