Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Farrior: Steelers ‘couldn’t stop anything’

Farrior: Steelers ‘couldn’t stop anything’
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_709409.html#
By Kevin Gorman
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, November 15, 2010

It wasn’t quite waving a white flag, but the Steelers conceded that going for an onsides kick midway through the fourth quarter while trailing New England by 11 points Sunday was the smart move.

Especially with the way their defense was playing.

“That’s a coach’s decision, but I wanted them to onsides kick,” Steelers inside linebacker James Farrior said. “We couldn’t stop anything.”

The Steelers had no answer Sunday night for Tom Brady, whose precision passing led the Patriots to a 39-26 victory at Heinz Field. Brady completed 30 of 43 attempts for 350 yards and three touchdowns for a 117.4 passer rating against a defense that ranked No. 2 in the NFL in total yards and first in scoring.

“When you’re talking about Tom Brady, you’re talking about a Super Bowl MVP, you’re talking about a great quarterback,” Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor said. “He showed what he can do. It wasn’t something we were looking for, but it happened. … With a guy like that, you’ve got to be consistent. You’ve got to be clicking on all cylinders every snap. The minute you don’t, he’ll pick you apart.”

Brady led New England on six scoring drives, and the efficiency of the first four had the Steelers scratching their scalps. The Patriots had touchdown drives of 70 yards on eight plays, 78 yards on 10 plays and 80 yards on seven plays, along with a 10-play, 46-yard drive that resulted in a field goal.

The Patriots’ first drives of each half appeared to be following a script.

“Whether they did or didn’t is irrelevant,” Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu said. “We’ve just got to be able to not give up big plays and give up field goals in the red zone. That was all the difference in the game.”

It’s no surprise that Brady spread the ball to eight different receivers, but what was frustrating to the Steelers was that they allowed so many big plays. He found rookie tight end Rob Gronkowski for touchdowns of 19, 9 and 25 yards, hit slot receiver Wes Welker eight times for 89 yards, including a 26-yarder, and a 45-yarder to Brandon Tate set up Brady’s 3-yard scoring run with 22 seconds left in the third quarter.

“Once he gets hot, starts reading the defense, he’s hard to defend,” Farrior said. “That showed (Sunday) night. He ate us alive.”

Despite their ranking as one of the NFL’s premier defenses, the Steelers have been susceptible against the pass. They came into the game allowing 240 yards a game, but gave up a season-high 453 to the Patriots. That led to questions of whether the Steelers could avoid a late-season collapse like last year, when they lost five of their final eight.

“We’ll see how this team reacts,” Polamalu said. “It differs from year to year, but this was a good gauge to see where we’re at. We’re not near where we need to be with the elite teams in the NFL, as New England has proven that. But we’re barely halfway through the season. We still have a lot to go.”

That they were missing starting defensive ends Aaron Smith (triceps) and Brett Keisel (hamstring) and lost inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons to a hip pointer was no excuse. The Steelers saw that their flaws were exposed but believe that had more to do with going against one of the game’s greatest quarterbacks than having a defense on the decline.

“I think we’ve still got a championship-caliber team,” Farrior said. “We’ve just got to put it all together. We can’t let one game discourage us and get us out of our rhythm. We’ve got to go back to the lab and get to work.”

Kevin Gorman can be reached at kgorman@tribweb.com or 412-320-7812.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177
Default Re: Farrior: Steelers ‘couldn’t stop anything’

“When you’re talking about Tom Brady, you’re talking about a Super Bowl MVP, you’re talking about a great quarterback,” Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor said. “He showed what he can do. It wasn’t something we were looking for, but it happened. … With a guy like that, you’ve got to be consistent. You’ve got to be clicking on all cylinders every snap. The minute you don’t, he’ll pick you apart.”

This floors me. It wasn't something they were looking for? Why the hell not? This is Tom Brady we're talking about here! The guy threw 50 TDs in one season! I might hate him as much as the rest of you do, but regardless... you have to PLAN for a QB like that. I'm not saying that they didn't, but it clearly wasn't enough. And when you hear a statement like this, it just makes you wonder what the hell is wrong with these defensive backs. Gee, it's Tom Brady... you think he might throw the ball? You think he's going to try and make a big play? You think he's going to target your weak spots (William Gay)? Nah! Not him! I'm sure he'll just hand the ball off every time!
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

I honestly can't remember the last time the defense got abused like that. '06 maybe? I hope it get's Lebeau and the D out of whatever funk they were in last night.

Offense didn't look great either, but had that been any other team, this would have been a win to be honest.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
I honestly can't remember the last time the defense got abused like that. '06 maybe? I hope it get's Lebeau and the D out of whatever funk they were in last night.

Offense didn't look great either, but had that been any other team, this would have been a win to be honest.
The problem is that teams will look at this and know how to beat the Steelers. They already know from the Bengals and Saints game that the offensive line can't block squat, and this will seal the deal how to handle the Defense.

The offense didn't look terrible, there were a lot of drops that shouldn't have happened and some stupid play calls, but it could have been way worse, but this was against a defense thats in the bottom 5 of the league, this worries me.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,468 Times in 2,383 Posts

Yup....This O didn't exactly light up the 29th ranked D.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
The problem is that teams will look at this and know how to beat the Steelers. They already know from the Bengals and Saints game that the offensive line can't block squat, and this will seal the deal how to handle the Defense.

The offense didn't look terrible, there were a lot of drops that shouldn't have happened and some stupid play calls, but it could have been way worse, but this was against a defense thats in the bottom 5 of the league, this worries me.
Yeah, a couple of caught passes (particularly in the EZ) and this would have been a much more interesting game.

Teams can look at it all they want, but typically it takes a QB like Brady or Manning to beat the Steelers D like it did last night. So I'm not in panic mode about them yet either. I expect them to work hard this week and fix what needs fixed. I expect insanity out of Arians....not out of Lebeau. Maybe I'll be wrong, but we'll see this week I guess.

I know it sucks losing like that to the Pats, but everything is very fixable. I'm not putting a fork in the season yet at all.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,082 Times in 4,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post

this blueprint was laid out in 2002 when tha patriots and raiders opened the season with almost 100 passes against the steelers and we fell 0-2.

this blueprint has always been there, right along with chewing up our zone blitz in the middle with a TE (especially in the red-zone).

it is the reason steelers TRADED UP to draft a safety in the 1st round of 2003.

again, this is nothing new, its just that so few teams acutally have the players to execute it.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,082 Times in 4,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Yup....This O didn't exactly light up the 29th ranked D.
hater.

thats dick le bu..bu..bu.. beau's fault.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
this blueprint was laid out in 2002 when tha patriots and raiders opened the season with almost 100 passes against the steelers and we fell 0-2.

this blueprint has always been there, right along with chewing up our zone blitz in the middle with a TE (especially in the red-zone).

again, this is nothing new, its just that so few teams acutally have the players to execute it.
Its more coaches have the balls to do it.
Not many coaches will blitz 6-7 guys and leave the pass open against Ben, who if he breaks a tackle will have a huge positive gain.
The defense is different, there's no real blueprint to beat the defense other than some outside passes and the middle of the field, but that's every defense. But the defense just plain and simple is playing bad, and an offense can pick that apart easily.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

Yep - and Charlie Weis & Belichick got the idea from Jon Kitna and the Bengals throwing on virtually every down to overcome a big deficit and upset the 2001 Steelers.

That 2002 defense was horrible the entire season with DeWayne Washington and Chad Scott at the corners - the answer was to fire D coordinator Tim Lewis after the 2003 season and dump the entire defensive backfield (Dewayne Washington/Lee Flowers/Brent Alexander/Mike Logan) other than Chad Scott, who then lost his position as a starter after being injured in 2004.

Brady & Belichick are LeBeau's kryptonite -
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote