Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #11
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850
Default Re: Farrior: Steelers ‘couldn’t stop anything’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Yep - and Charlie Weis & Belichick got the idea from Jon Kitna and the Bengals throwing on virtually every down to overcome a big deficit and upset the 2001 Steelers.

That 2002 defense was horrible the entire season with DeWayne Washington and Chad Scott at the corners - the answer was to fire D coordinator Tim Lewis after the 2003 season and dump the entire defensive backfield (Dewayne Washington/Lee Flowers/Brent Alexander/Mike Logan) other than Chad Scott, who then lost his position as a starter after being injured in 2004.

Brady & Belichick are LeBeau's kryptonite -
I don't see anyone else doing this because no one has the balls of Belichick. No one also has the balls to blitz 6-7 guys against Ben like the Saints did and like the Eagles did in 2008. Well I didn't, but it seems more and more coaches are trying it. Bengals started doing in the 2nd half against the Steelers, Patriots did it early on. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders do it with their speed rushers. But they don't have the confidence to pass every down.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
I honestly can't remember the last time the defense got abused like that. '06 maybe? I hope it get's Lebeau and the D out of whatever funk they were in last night.

Offense didn't look great either, but had that been any other team, this would have been a win to be honest.
When we played the Patriots in 2007 and got thrashed. At least that was an away game though
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
I don't see anyone else doing this because no one has the balls of Belichick. No one also has the balls to blitz 6-7 guys against Ben like the Saints did and like the Eagles did in 2008. Well I didn't, but it seems more and more coaches are trying it. Bengals started doing in the 2nd half against the Steelers, Patriots did it early on. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders do it with their speed rushers. But they don't have the confidence to pass every down.
Well it helps that Belichik has a great QB on his roster to make that strategy work. Remember in 08 and we played in NE with Matt Cassell at the helm, our defense downright dominated the second half of that game.
NO and NE have good enough QBs to play that way (and smart enough coaches to make the game plan) I'm not sure every team is going to do it, but I guess we'll see. I don't expect the RAiders too because so much of their identity is based in the ground game, and Campbell is prone to holding onto the ball too long and taking sacks.

Brees and Brady are good enough to quickly find the open spot and get the ball through a thread, not every QB can do it.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,137 Times in 2,640 Posts

the steelers DID stop their other rookie TE hernandez. their yardage leader was held w/o a reception.

anyone get the feeling the steelers game planned against him and then got bit by gronkowski?

its like "whack a mole".

anyone think belichick figured this and gameplanned to have gronkowski rebound after his horrible showing vs the browns?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #15
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,415 Times in 1,651 Posts

I just think our secondary sucks ass. Gameplan or not they were getting burned on a regular basis.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,137 Times in 2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
I don't see anyone else doing this because no one has the balls of Belichick. No one also has the balls to blitz 6-7 guys against Ben like the Saints did and like the Eagles did in 2008.
false.

eagles, patriots, cowboys, giants, ravens, browns, cinci, etc.

all sorts of teams send the house and kitchen sink vs the steelers. pretty much been the story ever since we got rid of a true fullback.

but like in the case of defeating the zone blitz, all teams dont have the people or talent to pull off the scheme successfully.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #17
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
When we played the Patriots in 2007 and got thrashed. At least that was an away game though
Yeah, that's true. I honestly couldn't remember if it was as bad or not. I guess it was. It's definitely not often though that any QB puts up those kinds of points against this D though.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #18
Lord of Lombardi
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15247

We have an above average Defense because of our ability to stop the run. If more teams took the Patriots approach and threw 80% of the time we'd be an 8-8 team. The thing that separates the Patriots is their offensive line. I hate Brady as much or more than anyone else. He is a winey little Be atch... He complains to the refs and tries to get their favortism during the game. He rants along the sidelines like a little school girl that doesn't get his way. Now think of that O line in front of Ben who by the way is back to his holding the ball way too long. He is back to not being able to read defenses. NOTE TO COACHING STAFF: Put short routes in play book for when Ben doesn't have more than 2 seconds of protection. NOTE TO WR's: Break off route when blitz is going to get your QB creamed. 2-2 at home is pathetic and this team won't win without WR's other than Randel El. Pouncy is a great and imagine how great our Line would be with another drafted player worth a damn. Not sure why we invest millions in a QB then do not invest in a line that can protect him. Brady is Brady and Manning is Manning because of time to throw. New England has our number because we didn't keep Brady on the sidelines. 10-6 and we miss the playoffs.
Lord of Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #19
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Lombardi View Post
We have an above average Defense because of our ability to stop the run. If more teams took the Patriots approach and threw 80% of the time we'd be an 8-8 team. The thing that separates the Patriots is their offensive line. I hate Brady as much or more than anyone else. He is a winey little Be atch... He complains to the refs and tries to get their favortism during the game. He rants along the sidelines like a little school girl that doesn't get his way. Now think of that O line in front of Ben who by the way is back to his holding the ball way too long. He is back to not being able to read defenses. NOTE TO COACHING STAFF: Put short routes in play book for when Ben doesn't have more than 2 seconds of protection. NOTE TO WR's: Break off route when blitz is going to get your QB creamed. 2-2 at home is pathetic and this team won't win without WR's other than Randel El. Pouncy is a great and imagine how great our Line would be with another drafted player worth a damn. Not sure why we invest millions in a QB then do not invest in a line that can protect him. Brady is Brady and Manning is Manning because of time to throw. New England has our number because we didn't keep Brady on the sidelines. 10-6 and we miss the playoffs.
Your criticism of Brady is way off. I can think of one instance where he begged and whined for a flag and got a call via favoritism. That was vs. the Ravens last year in their regular season matchup.

As for whining on the sidelines, you can't respect a team leader that gets fired up and fires up the players around him?

I wish we would have had somebody on the Steelers sideline doing that last night. Anybody trying to get a spark going or something.
Brady was lighting guys up because they didn't convert a 3rd down, and look at how they performed in general, a lot better than us.

As for your other conjecture, that Manning and Brady are only elite QBs because of their offensive lines. That's a statement that can't be proven with rationality, so we can leave it on the floor with the rest of the speculation where it belongs. Didn't you notice Brady releasing the ball pretty quickly last night? A lot of us have said it before but Ben is not as good as other QBs at quickly finding the open zone and getting passes out on time, his great talent is in making time to help create a play. Manning and Brady are much better at the former.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #20
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775

I'm confused. The media and Tomlin told me that there was nothing wrong with the pass defense.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote