Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 7,976
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Criticism getting to Reed?

View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29

Criticism getting to Reed?
November 15th, 2010

Jeff Reed is in the midst of his most trying season of his career, and he showed the strain of it after the Steelers’ 39-26 loss Sunday night to the Patriots.

Reed took exception to both the fan and media criticism he had endured this season, both of which figure to intensify after he missed a 26-yard field goal against the Patriots.

Reed has made just 71.4 percent of his field goal attempts, well below the 83.3 career conversion rate he took into the season.

“It doesn’t help that everything you read or hear on the radio is negative too and that comes from you guys too,” Reed said to reporters after the Steelers fell to 6-3. “People calling in they have the right to say what they want to say and I don’t listen to it. I just come across it sometimes and happen to catch my name so I want to read about it.

“Instead of it being a 53-yarder last week that I made it was the 46-yarder that I missed that could have clinched in the game. That’s negativity and if you lose, they focus on all the negatives.”

Reed made a 22-yard field goal Sunday night, and he said on both field goal attempts he slipped because of the condition of the field.

“I can’t help it when turf moves and you miss a kick,” said Reed, adding that he wears cleats with the longest spikes allowed by the NFL. “I just wish if you play sports or are a sports fan you understand things like that. I’ve been here a long time. I think I know what I’m doing.”

How long he will be doing it in Pittsburgh remains to be seen.

Reed signed a one-year, $2.81 contract with the Steelers in July and he will be a free agent after the season.

The team had placed the franchise tag on the ninth-year last February, but Reed said at the beginning of training camp that the Steelers never followed through on a promise to negotiate with him on a long-term deal.

He did not endear himself to fans by going public with his unhappiness over his contract situation. His struggles this season have only made him more of a target for criticism.

Reed said he has heard it from fans while attending Penguins games and at Heinz Field.

“It’s like they buy tickets just to bash me, (punter) Dan (Sepulvda) and (long snapper) Greg (Warren),” Reed said. “It’s more me because points come off my foot. It’s other players too, it’s not just me. I talk about myself because I don’t want to comment on other people’s business. It’s the five percent you hear and the ones that truly have your back, that’s 95 percent (of fans) in my mind.

“Everyone goes back if I miss one to what I said at camp and I think that’s absurd because I love this team, I love this town.”

Reed said he wants to stay in Pittsburgh beyond this season and that he believes coach Mike Tomlin has not lost confidence in him.

“He sends me out there all the time because he knows I’m going to make it and so do I,” Reed said. “I don’t take anything for granted that’s why on a field like that a 2-yard field goal you can miss.”
Filed under: Steelers Comment (0)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
TRH
Living Legend
 
TRH's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 4,460
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17206
Thanks: 103
Thanked 244 Times in 167 Posts
Default Re: Criticism getting to Reed?

There's no reason to miss 26 yarders in big games. Criticism getting to you is absolutely no excuse.

When you're team has to start worrying if you're even going to get extra-points through, thats a problem.

*edit* Also, jeezus.....how about those 2 EXTREMELY poor "on-side" kick attempts. Those had to be the lamest attempts i've ever seen. Not even much bounce to the ball. Don't they practice these things?
As i watched them, they were so bad, i said to myself "god, we don't have a chance to recover these...."
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
BritishSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter
 
BritishSteel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lincoln, England
Posts: 1,494
Gender: Male
Member Number: 878
Thanks: 294
Thanked 425 Times in 193 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Criticism getting to Reed?

Quote:
“It’s like they buy tickets just to bash me, (punter) Dan (Sepulvda) and (long snapper) Greg (Warren),” Reed said.
Since when has anyone given Greg Warren any smack?

If Jeff Reed wants to be loved, perhaps he ought to grow a pair and not miss 26 yard field goals. That's not being affected by criticism, that's flat-out suckage. He used to be money and now he's not. Who's fault is that? The Fans? If he genuinely thinks that he's got no place on a football field.
__________________
All Humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo!.
BritishSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
TRH
Living Legend
 
TRH's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 4,460
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17206
Thanks: 103
Thanked 244 Times in 167 Posts
Default Re: Criticism getting to Reed?

Reed has some serious balls to say something like that when he's whiffing field goals like no tomorrow, whiffing on kick-offs, can't perform an on-side kick properly, and 'attempts' to tackle like a little schoolgirl.

But then again, he always has big ones when it comes to civilians, bathroom paper towl holders and the press. The place he has no balls at is on the field.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter
 
StainlessStill's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,546
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12999
Thanks: 524
Thanked 1,365 Times in 566 Posts
Default Re: Criticism getting to Reed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29

Criticism getting to Reed?
November 15th, 2010

Jeff Reed is in the midst of his most trying season of his career, and he showed the strain of it after the Steelers’ 39-26 loss Sunday night to the Patriots.

Reed took exception to both the fan and media criticism he had endured this season, both of which figure to intensify after he missed a 26-yard field goal against the Patriots.

Reed has made just 71.4 percent of his field goal attempts, well below the 83.3 career conversion rate he took into the season.

“It doesn’t help that everything you read or hear on the radio is negative too and that comes from you guys too,” Reed said to reporters after the Steelers fell to 6-3. “People calling in they have the right to say what they want to say and I don’t listen to it. I just come across it sometimes and happen to catch my name so I want to read about it.

“Instead of it being a 53-yarder last week that I made it was the 46-yarder that I missed that could have clinched in the game. That’s negativity and if you lose, they focus on all the negatives.”

Reed made a 22-yard field goal Sunday night, and he said on both field goal attempts he slipped because of the condition of the field.

“I can’t help it when turf moves and you miss a kick,” said Reed, adding that he wears cleats with the longest spikes allowed by the NFL. “I just wish if you play sports or are a sports fan you understand things like that. I’ve been here a long time. I think I know what I’m doing.”

How long he will be doing it in Pittsburgh remains to be seen.

Reed signed a one-year, $2.81 contract with the Steelers in July and he will be a free agent after the season.

The team had placed the franchise tag on the ninth-year last February, but Reed said at the beginning of training camp that the Steelers never followed through on a promise to negotiate with him on a long-term deal.

He did not endear himself to fans by going public with his unhappiness over his contract situation. His struggles this season have only made him more of a target for criticism.

Reed said he has heard it from fans while attending Penguins games and at Heinz Field.

“It’s like they buy tickets just to bash me, (punter) Dan (Sepulvda) and (long snapper) Greg (Warren),” Reed said. “It’s more me because points come off my foot. It’s other players too, it’s not just me. I talk about myself because I don’t want to comment on other people’s business. It’s the five percent you hear and the ones that truly have your back, that’s 95 percent (of fans) in my mind.

“Everyone goes back if I miss one to what I said at camp and I think that’s absurd because I love this team, I love this town.”

Reed said he wants to stay in Pittsburgh beyond this season and that he believes coach Mike Tomlin has not lost confidence in him.

“He sends me out there all the time because he knows I’m going to make it and so do I,” Reed said. “I don’t take anything for granted that’s why on a field like that a 2-yard field goal you can miss.”
Filed under: Steelers Comment (0)

Wah wah wah, wah wah! Man up and take the criticism like a man, you goon! There's no excuse for missing a 26 yard field goal my little new born cousin could of kicked! Maybe if we paint the ball like a paper towel dispenser or a bottle of Miller Lite, then maybe he'll kick the ball like he gives a shit. Reed has KILLED us in all of our seasons loss's. I've been a Reed supporter, but if he keeps this up, I say cut ties with him before he embarrasses himself even more on the field, and in the press's!
__________________
"I believe the game is designed to reward the one's who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!" -Jack Lambert
StainlessStill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach
 
steelerdave1969's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Whittier, NC
Posts: 1,244
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12338
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Criticism getting to Reed?

He's got a terrible way of lying thats for sure. He said he doesnt read the stuff or listen to it, but obviously the Jack A$$ does . . .Its time they release him and bring back Gary Anderson he should still be around at the ripe age of 60 I would think

__________________
I Just Want Steelers Football . .
Time For DeMaurice Smith to Resign
steelerdave1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Third Rail
Team Captain
 
Third Rail's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 761
Member Number: 16177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Criticism getting to Reed?

I'm done with Reed. What is he to this team now? When he was making every field goal, I could excuse his weak kickoffs and pathetic attempts at tackles. But missing a 26-yarder? There's no excuse for that. You'd be hard pressed to find a kicker in this league that would miss that, and if you did, you can be damned sure he wouldn't hold a press conference afterward and try to make excuses.

Reed, thanks for your service... now retire before you contribute to more losses.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
lionslicer
Team President
 
lionslicer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,371
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12850
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Criticism getting to Reed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
There's no reason to miss 26 yarders in big games. Criticism getting to you is absolutely no excuse.

When you're team has to start worrying if you're even going to get extra-points through, thats a problem.

*edit* Also, jeezus.....how about those 2 EXTREMELY poor "on-side" kick attempts. Those had to be the lamest attempts i've ever seen. Not even much bounce to the ball. Don't they practice these things?
As i watched them, they were so bad, i said to myself "god, we don't have a chance to recover these...."
Maybe if people didn't boo him when he got on the field he wouldn't be such a terrible kicker
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
Third Rail
Team Captain
 
Third Rail's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 761
Member Number: 16177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Criticism getting to Reed?

That's a good point... but I think that at least some of those boos might come from the fact that they've just watched the offense choke in the red zone AGAIN. I don't think they're all booing Reed.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter
 
MACH1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Potataho
Posts: 14,153
Member Number: 3236
Thanks: 1,663
Thanked 4,952 Times in 1,846 Posts
Default Re: Criticism getting to Reed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Maybe if people didn't boo him when he got on the field he wouldn't be such a terrible kicker
Maybe if he would do his job as a PRO kicker and hit the chip shots at the very least.
__________________


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts