Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
SteeleReign
Team President
 
SteeleReign's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,302
Member Number: 13943
Thanks: 323
Thanked 389 Times in 248 Posts
Default Re: next years draft

They have always & will continue to draft the best available from a list of needed positions. If they feel that the best available player at our pick in the first round in a safety then we will be drafting a safety. They won't (and shouldn't) draft a lower-tier CB over an upper-tier LB just because we need CB more.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
Third Rail
Team Captain
 
Third Rail's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 761
Member Number: 16177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: next years draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
They have always & will continue to draft the best available from a list of needed positions. If they feel that the best available player at our pick in the first round in a safety then we will be drafting a safety. They won't (and shouldn't) draft a lower-tier CB over an upper-tier LB just because we need CB more.
Five words:

Rashard Mendenhall over Chris Johnson.

They seriously didn't do their homework there. Even if you think Mendy's been good (I personally think he's mediocre at best and has just had a few lucky games) he isn't even in the same league as CJ2K.

I'd go so far as to say that if we had drafted Johnson, we'd have a 7th Super Bowl ring right now.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
ZoneBlitzer
Team President
 
ZoneBlitzer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,077
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16775
Thanks: 286
Thanked 575 Times in 314 Posts
My Mood: Doubtful
Default Re: next years draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
Five words:

Rashard Mendenhall over Chris Johnson.

They seriously didn't do their homework there. Even if you think Mendy's been good (I personally think he's mediocre at best and has just had a few lucky games) he isn't even in the same league as CJ2K.

I'd go so far as to say that if we had drafted Johnson, we'd have a 7th Super Bowl ring right now.
Yeah, that is a major head scratcher.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
SteeleReign
Team President
 
SteeleReign's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,302
Member Number: 13943
Thanks: 323
Thanked 389 Times in 248 Posts
Default Re: next years draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
Five words:

Rashard Mendenhall over Chris Johnson.

They seriously didn't do their homework there. Even if you think Mendy's been good (I personally think he's mediocre at best and has just had a few lucky games) he isn't even in the same league as CJ2K.

I'd go so far as to say that if we had drafted Johnson, we'd have a 7th Super Bowl ring right now.
Come one dude - this isn't fantasy football. There was no way to know that CJ would be this good. Aside from that, I doubt that CJ would have performed to this level given the state of our offensive line.

Truthfully, I don't think our draft performance has been a problem. It's more an issue with over-valuing our current roster.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
Lord of Lombardi
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 131
Member Number: 15247
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: next years draft

just look how Pouncy has made a difference. Add Hartwell and Ben gets sacked more than 5 times last night. Get more O lineman and this team gets better. Ben Candy arm might actually throw the ball long enough to Wallace.
Lord of Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #16
Third Rail
Team Captain
 
Third Rail's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 761
Member Number: 16177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: next years draft

Perhaps it is true that it would have been impossible to predict CJ's amazing performance at the NFL level, but these guys do this for a living. They should know how to evaluate players. And with CJ's record-tying 40-time and college stats, I just can't believe that someone didn't think, "Maybe we shouldn't overlook this guy."

Although, yeah... with our O-Line, perhaps he would be CJ1K or CJ500 or CJ-IR right about now.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #17
SteeleReign
Team President
 
SteeleReign's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,302
Member Number: 13943
Thanks: 323
Thanked 389 Times in 248 Posts
Default Re: next years draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
Perhaps it is true that it would have been impossible to predict CJ's amazing performance at the NFL level, but these guys do this for a living. They should know how to evaluate players. And with CJ's record-tying 40-time and college stats, I just can't believe that someone didn't think, "Maybe we shouldn't overlook this guy."

Although, yeah... with our O-Line, perhaps he would be CJ1K or CJ500 or CJ-IR right about now.
Well, he really doesn't fit the typical profile for a Steelers RB. I'm sure they looked at him, but decided he might be too fragile. Of course, that isn't the case, but there was no way to know that prior to the pick.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #18
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,094
Member Number: 13149
Thanks: 368
Thanked 171 Times in 119 Posts
Default Re: next years draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
Come one dude - this isn't fantasy football. There was no way to know that CJ would be this good. Aside from that, I doubt that CJ would have performed to this level given the state of our offensive line.

Truthfully, I don't think our draft performance has been a problem. It's more an issue with over-valuing our current roster.
yes it has...we haven't really addressed the O line or secondary the last 2 drafts...Kraig Urbick?-Cut, Keenan Lewis?-couldn't beat out 85 year old Deshea Townsend, Joe Burnett? -See Keenan Lewis the wack ass short armed center from Penn State?- gone. Yet we draft 8 Lb's on a unit that could have been addressed next draft since it was only for depth. We need potential starters at the Corner and O-Line and 1 center and a free agent guard/Tackle out of the last 2 years of drafting won't cut it...
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #19
SteeleReign
Team President
 
SteeleReign's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,302
Member Number: 13943
Thanks: 323
Thanked 389 Times in 248 Posts
Default Re: next years draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
yes it has...we haven't really addressed the O line or secondary the last 2 drafts...Kraig Urbick?-Cut, Keenan Lewis?-couldn't beat out 85 year old Deshea Townsend, Joe Burnett? -See Keenan Lewis the wack ass short armed center from Penn State?- gone. Yet we draft 8 Lb's on a unit that could have been addressed next draft since it was only for depth. We need potential starters at the Corner and O-Line and 1 center and a free agent guard/Tackle out of the last 2 years of drafting won't cut it...
All the benefit of hindsight. Every team misses on a few picks. No story here.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #20
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,094
Member Number: 13149
Thanks: 368
Thanked 171 Times in 119 Posts
Default Re: next years draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
All the benefit of hindsight. Every team misses on a few picks. No story here.
how about the benefit of better scouting? other players were available that i thought the steelers would take that are playing well for their teams right now.
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts