Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #21
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177
Default Re: next years draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
Well, he really doesn't fit the typical profile for a Steelers RB. I'm sure they looked at him, but decided he might be too fragile. Of course, that isn't the case, but there was no way to know that prior to the pick.
And therein lies their problem. Too many teams get lost in this idea that they have to play the exact same way they did 30 years ago. What's wrong with a speedy running game rather than a power running game, if that's what works? What's wrong with throwing the ball for red zone TDs, if running it constantly gets you stuffed at the goal line?

The Steelers need to adapt a stop thinking that they are still playing in the 70s.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #22
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
And therein lies their problem. Too many teams get lost in this idea that they have to play the exact same way they did 30 years ago. What's wrong with a speedy running game rather than a power running game, if that's what works? What's wrong with throwing the ball for red zone TDs, if running it constantly gets you stuffed at the goal line?

The Steelers need to adapt a stop thinking that they are still playing in the 70s.
No argument from me on this point. I agree that the days of the Steelers running it down your throat, even when they know it's coming are long gone. It's time to adapt.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #23
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
All the benefit of hindsight. Every team misses on a few picks. No story here.
This is dead on. It's sad hearing wretched people act like bigwig draft buffs reporting on what should have been done 2 years after the fact.

Reminds me of Captain Hindsight on South Park.

Additionally, the constant criticism of our FO drafting linebackers needs to be checked and more realistic. Even if you draft for a depth, it's a necessary depth. The defense runs through the LB's, especially with the Steelers, we need to groom the replacements for our departing star OLBs once they get up to big contract status.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #24
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,050 Times in 788 Posts

We don't need LB, we need help on the Secondary which is the number one concern.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #25
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
We don't need LB, we need help on the Secondary which is the number one concern.
I would put the secondary as 1B and the Oline as 1A (like it's been for the last few years). It would benefit and make sense to draft a top tier lineman or DB early in the draft.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #26
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Quote:
No argument from me on this point. I agree that the days of the Steelers running it down your throat, even when they know it's coming are long gone. It's time to adapt.
Exactly. There is only one Jerome Bettis, and he's been gone for five years.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #27
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Yep. Its not 1992 anymore.
Don't even tell me Johnson wouldn't fit into this team. He would be marvelous to have.
That said, i still like Mendenhall.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #28
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post

I think he means typical running back as in someone who runs up the gut because thats what the Steelers system is based around. It isn't the Steelers history, its how Arian's philosophy is, and it has no need for a speed back.. We all saw how bad Parker did under Arians.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #29
kwpit79
Water Boy

Member Number: 16028

Our drafts have been pretty good. When was the last time we busted out on our first round pick, 1999 (the Troy Edwards pick)?

Since 2000 (which I believe is Colbert's first year):

2000: Plaxico Burress
2001: Casey Hampton
2002: Kendall Simmons (OK, he didn't last long but it was mostly due to acquiring diabetes in his second year)
2003: Troy Polomalu
2004: Big Ben
2005: Heath Miller
2006: Santonio Holmes
2007: Lawrence Timmons
2008: Rashard Mendenhall

I mean, execept for Simmons, the rest are Pro Bowl-level talents. That's pretty rare to almost never whiff on your first round pick.

Now some of the other picks ...
kwpit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #30
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392

Quote:
Come one dude - this isn't fantasy football. There was no way to know that CJ would be this good. Aside from that, I doubt that CJ would have performed to this level given the state of our offensive line.

Truthfully, I don't think our draft performance has been a problem. It's more an issue with over-valuing our current roster.
Very true. don't care if we had the second coming of Barry Sanders, if somebody doesn,t open a hole he goes nowhere.
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote