Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #21
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943
Default Re: Goodbye Jeff Reed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
i know he sucks but cut him in week 10?
i want Arians fired too but not in mid season while you are still playing for first place
i just hope this will not come back and bite us in the ass
Seriously? He's friggin kicker. It's not like he has to learn a playbook - he just needs to make FGs and kick the ball deeper than the 10 on kickoffs. Period. There is no compelling reason to wait.
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #22
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,499 Times in 3,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
i know he sucks but cut him in week 10?
i want Arians fired too but not in mid season while you are still playing for first place
i just hope this will not come back and bite us in the ass
Reed came in during mid-November 2002 - sometimes **** happens during the season

His appeal had been he could kick at Heinz - kickoffs were always a problem and his leg strength was resulting in misses from 40 - 49 on good fields and bad - add that to his attitude + missing the kick that should have won the Atlanta game and his time was up
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #23
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Reed has missed very few short FGs during his career, and even this year.
Don't blame the guy for missing >50yds FGs. This is not his range. He shouldn't have to kick FGs from this distance if our coaches had an Oz of brains and if the offense was clicking on all cylinders, to begin with.
I agree that Reed's kick-offs were not good but this is not new.
Anyway, we'll see what Suisham brings to the table. Obviously, he's not a gem otherwise he wouldn't have been available today.
There's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes at the Steelers. They let Santonio go, now they let Reeds go and the main reasons are not football related.
This doesn't smell good. I hope Reed doesn't end up with Cincinnati when they come here in December. He knows Heinz Field better than anyone.
Based on this season's performance, I hope the Bengals DO sign him. He can miss game-winning FGs for them instead.
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #24
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Even if you ignore his rotten kickoffs, based on the stats for this year worst kicker in the league is spot on given his league worst 68.2% overall completion % and 0=4 record when kicking from 40-49 yards

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...t/fieldGoalPct

It is a gamble - but Reed has been slipping since early 2009 (starting with the Chicago game in which fellow problem Holmes also contributed to the loss) and his acting out about his contract burned up any goodwill he had with management
Damn you're right. I was looking at overall kicking stats (in which I think Carney was the worst). NO's has two shitty kickers right now. I didn't realize his FG % was that bad right now.

I'm still cautious though. I agree with most assessments here though. His comments and overall attitude most likely contributed to this move more than anything...but I just know what the attitude will be around here if Suisham screws the pooch on Sunday and beyond.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #25
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

I like it. It sends a message that crap play won't be tolerated. In the past, I feel Pgh has been far too slow
in reacting to things that needed addressed (I am looking at the Kordel/QB situation that was screaming for
a move but Cowher moronically stuck with him forever.) Let's be real: He has sucked this year. Missing that chip shot was the last straw. And if his comments added to the likelihood of him being canned? Good. This team needs a wake up call. F with the bull and you get the horns.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #26
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,268 Times in 641 Posts

Letting him go had as much to do with his attitude as it did his kicking. Maybe now the receivers can realize that dropping passes is going to kill this team. I thought if there was one good thing about the play calling Sunday, it was at the goal line. It just sucks that the receivers had to pick that night to drop TD passes. And that was with Hines being sidelined.

Look for Arians to be gone after this year. With the injuries and the lack of brains in our offense, I can see the Steelers making the playoffs but I do not see a Super Bowl contender. Too many injuries at the worst spots. I mean, the line was bad before the season and 3 of those guys are out to make it even worse.

And I still say, Goodell destroyed this season for the Steelers. Steelers after his fine and suspend barrage a few weeks back killed the Steelers aggressiveness. And Ill tell you this, this has been the worst NFL season I have watched in my life. I remember watching the Miami game and Bengals game, both wins and pretty much having zero enjoyment after the games. I had never had that feeling after a win, ever. And watching the Eagles and Redskins yesterday, no one tackling well, marginal running backs looking like Walter Payton, the NFL product is turning into Arena football and it is pure garbage.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #27
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

i think his mind is just completely messed up right now. he has nowhere to go but down. the pressure from the media and fans has gotten to him.. he knows how his audition for a top kicker contract this season has been going horribly bad. once that kind of shit gets in a kickers head, forget about it. he's been acting really short-fused, defensive, and paranoid. that's a recipe for failure.
jjpro11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #28
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I like it. It sends a message that crap play won't be tolerated. In the past, I feel Pgh has been far too slow
in reacting to things that needed addressed (I am looking at the Kordel/QB situation that was screaming for
a move but Cowher moronically stuck with him forever.) Let's be real: He has sucked this year. Missing that chip shot was the last straw. And if his comments added to the likelihood of him being canned? Good. This team needs a wake up call. F with the bull and you get the horns.
If crappy play is the real reason, then Gay should have been cut a long time ago. Our secondary is putrid and Gay is the worst.
Yeah, Reed sucked this year (on and off the field) but he didn't cost us the losses against the Pats, Baltimore, or New Orleans.
I just find it strange and the timing is even more strange, that's all.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #29
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Letting him go had as much to do with his attitude as it did his kicking. Maybe now the receivers can realize that dropping passes is going to kill this team. I thought if there was one good thing about the play calling Sunday, it was at the goal line. It just sucks that the receivers had to pick that night to drop TD passes. And that was with Hines being sidelined.

Look for Arians to be gone after this year. With the injuries and the lack of brains in our offense, I can see the Steelers making the playoffs but I do not see a Super Bowl contender. Too many injuries at the worst spots. I mean, the line was bad before the season and 3 of those guys are 5 are out to make it even worse.

And I still say, Goodell destroyed this season for the Steelers. Steelers after his fine and suspend barrage a few weeks back killed the Steelers aggressiveness. And Ill tell you this, this has been the worst NFL season I have watched in my life. I remember watching the Miami game and Bengals game, both wins and pretty much having zero enjoyment after the games. I had never had that feeling after a win, ever. And watching the Eagles and Redskins yesterday, no one tackling well, marginal running backs looking like Walter Payton, the NFL product is turning into Arena football and it is pure garbage.
what was the stat they mentioned last night? 13 or 14 QBs threw for over 300 yards this week? with 4 teams on a bye... wtf is that? it seems like every week there's a new offensive record taking place.

and i kinda can relate.. i've never been so mad at the NFL than this year. everything new this year has just pissed me off. the officiating gets worse every week. games are longer and longer with all the stupid challenges for receivers going to the ground with the football. it's just been a frustrating season, and that's with the Steelers being 6-3 for Christ sake.
jjpro11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #30
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

I wanted him gone before the season even started. This is probably not the best time to audition a new kicker but he deserves what he got. That 26 yard miss was inexcusable if he is money at Heinz Field like so many people keep saying he was. He will more than likely find work somewhere. Hopefully not a division rival.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote