Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default With or Without Smith

Aaron Smith was a pretty healthy guy until the last 4 seasons. 3 of the last 4 seasons he has missed significant time due to injuries. The only season in the last 4 he hasn't missed a game was 08, when we were 12-4 and won the SB.

Last 4 seasons records including playoff games with and without Smith.

With Smith. 32-10
W/O Smith. 8-11

Those are staggering records. I know there were other factors involved. But,
Any word on if or when this guy could be back?

Last edited by steelerchad; 11-16-2010 at 11:49 AM.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9669
Default Re: With or Without Smith

Even if he does come back this year, or next year...it's clear his body is letting him down and his career is on the decline. Sad to see this unfold in front of our eyes...Aaron Smith is a Steeler through and through and I just hope he can extend his career as a backup for this team. But I don't see him lasting as a starter any more. The front office needs to get more guys to replace our aging D line.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
Aaron Smith was a pretty healthy guy until the last 4 seasons. 3 of the last 4 seasons he has missed significant time due to injuries. The only season in the last 4 he hasn't missed a game was 08, when we were 12-4 and won the SB.

Last 4 seasons records including playoff games with and without Smith.

With Smith. 32-10
W/O Smith. 8-11

Those are staggering records. I know there were other factors involved. But,
Any word on if or when this guy could be back?
Yes, with Smith we would have beaten the Patriots. What a bunch of crap. He is 35 old and slow now. Our run defense has been the same no matter who plays.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,052 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Yes, with Smith we would have beaten the Patriots. What a bunch of crap. He is 35 old and slow now. Our run defense has been the same no matter who plays.
the way we played sunday i dont think we would have beat a H S team even with him playing
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
I was just stating fact. Did I say we would have beat the Patriots? Our team played like dog crap, so no we wouldn't have. Do I think Smith will be back next year? No, I don't. So, someone needs to step up, because we've sucked without him. And no, our run D hasn't been nearly as good without him this year or other years. You need to check your facts if you think it has. In fact, just look at the Miami game when he got injured. Nobody ran the ball all year until that game. For most of the first half the Dolphins couldn't even get a first down. But they moved the ball pretty well once he wen't down.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
I was just stating fact. Did I say we would have beat the Patriots? Our team played like dog crap, so no we wouldn't have. Do I think Smith will be back next year? No, I don't. So, someone needs to step up, because we've sucked without him. And no, our run D hasn't been nearly as good without him this year or other years. You need to check your facts if you think it has. In fact, just look at the Miami game when he got injured. Nobody ran the ball all year until that game. For most of the first half the Dolphins couldn't even get a first down. But they moved the ball pretty well once he wen't down.
Last year rushing against us was 6 yards more per game than in 2008 with Smith. Thats not worth the 6x more money he makes.

Listen, i like the guy. But we are now strapped with half a team of old players that need replaced....Keisel...Smith...Hoke ...Farrior.....Hampton....and now Ryan Clark.

Thats not what has kept us winning over the years. We replaced them before they got to this point.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts

Everyone wants to go goo-goo gaga over our linebackers and Polamalu AND for great reason, but our defense is REALLY built from the defensive line-out. Our down 3 lineman are so monumental not only in our run defense, but atleast applying pressure and collapsing the pocket on a 3/4 man rush. If that doesn't happen, then Troy can't be Troy and our backers can't be backers in our 3-4, which showed Sunday Night.

Mr.Smith, I know it's selfish, but PLEASE RETURN SOON!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Last year rushing against us was 6 yards more per game than in 2008 with Smith. Thats not worth the 6x more money he makes.

Listen, i like the guy. But we are now strapped with half a team of old players that need replaced....Keisel...Smith...Hoke ...Farrior.....Hampton....and now Ryan Clark.

Thats not what has kept us winning over the years. We replaced them before they got to this point.
I'll agree with you there. This D has gotten old and instead of getting younger we got older by bringing back retreads in McFadden and Foote. I was happy with the trade for BMAC as Gay was totally inept last year, but isn't it saying we don't trust the guys we've drafted the last couple of years when you go out and sign aging veterans instead of giving them a chance.

I don't think Smith is the total answer, but you can't argue with how we've played without him. We've gotten no push from the line without him.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
This has nothing to do eith the run defense but the pass rush! He takes away the double teams that Harrison and Woodley get because he can penetrate against the o-lines he faces and it opens up the LBers to get on the QB!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post

Mr.Smith, I know it's selfish, but PLEASE RETURN SOON!

Ditto
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote