Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #21
Wallace108

Member Number:
Default Re: Tomlin takes new approach to Steelers' adversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinSteelerMan View Post
I am continually amazed at this board and at my fellow rabid Steeler's Fans when our team faces adversity. I cannot believe how quick we are to jump to the "Fire Tomlin" crap and "Tomlin's clueless" crap. Come on guys! You want clueless, there is plenty of clueless around the league. Phillips and Childress come to mind immediately.

The fact is that Tomlin has the team he has now with the injuries. He is trying to not give bulletin board material to the other team and trying to answer some pretty indefensible questions about some very inept play by the players we had in the game. Talk is cheap.... Walk is EXPENSIVE...

This team has an overall WINNING record and a strong winning record under Tomlin, so I would say that he must have SOMETHING going for him.

Besides... remember who owns our team??? The ROONEY'S! They won't fire Tomlin...just ain't gonna happen! Remember Cowher when the team had back-to-back losing years??

Sheesh!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Good post. I guess when you win as much as we have for as long as we have, you expect to win EVERY game. You know you won't win every game, but you expect to. And when you don't, you moan and groan (myself included).

I agree with most of what you said, but I'm not sure I agree entirely with the injuries part. When we played the Saints, they had a backup and I believe a waterboy playing corners, and they still shut us down. The Patriots have a young, inexperienced defense and they pretty much manhandled us until garbage time.

Good coaching, to some degree, can overcome injuries. Our O-line is mediocre at best when it's healthy. Right now, it's horrible. So why are we running so many plays that take time to develop, knowing that the line can't protect? That falls on the coaches. Everybody knows that the way to shut down the Patriots offense is to pressure Brady, but we drop into zone coverage. Again, that falls on the coaches.

When a team is less than 100 percent, there's no room for error for the coaches. With our coaching staff, I'm seeing a lot of errors. And it all starts at the top, with Tomlin.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #22
roopdawg
Water Boy

Member Number: 15358

I agree! Tomlin's BS rhetoric about turning over stones and getting back in the lab is complete crap. Did the Browns not give us a blueprint?? I like living in New England, but being a Steeler fan right now is absolutely embarrassing!! Humble pie for dessert tastes awful!! Nuff said!!
roopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #23
Steeler4life1972
Banned

Member Number: 17121

Let's look at a complete season and body of work to grade our team. I bitch and moan as much as the next guy but lets see how we can recover, then when the season is over we can grade them.
Steeler4life1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #24
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868

Eh, I personally don't suscribe to that Hocus Pocus.
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #25
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

I've got an idea. Since tomlin starts every season 6-2, let's let him start every season. And since Cowher still doesn't seem to be totally commited to coming back to coaching full time, and when he did coach his teams always played best after November....

if only

Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #26
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
At this juncture, ummm...if you will, the standard is the standard,uhhh, there will be a lot of football to be played by big men on blades of grass, umm if you will. Ummm, It's a war of attrition and the most violent team wins. Uhhhh, we accept that, um, and it is what it is, thus far. The expectation level is very high, um, as we try to make splash plays without worrying, ummmm about style points.

His new approach will be to put the last sentence (above) of the previous press conference at the beginning of the next press conference.
This is SPOT ON - HILARIOUS!!!!
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #27
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
Good post. I guess when you win as much as we have for as long as we have, you expect to win EVERY game. You know you won't win every game, but you expect to. And when you don't, you moan and groan (myself included).

I agree with most of what you said, but I'm not sure I agree entirely with the injuries part. When we played the Saints, they had a backup and I believe a waterboy playing corners, and they still shut us down. The Patriots have a young, inexperienced defense and they pretty much manhandled us until garbage time.

Good coaching, to some degree, can overcome injuries. Our O-line is mediocre at best when it's healthy. Right now, it's horrible. So why are we running so many plays that take time to develop, knowing that the line can't protect? That falls on the coaches. Everybody knows that the way to shut down the Patriots offense is to pressure Brady, but we drop into zone coverage. Again, that falls on the coaches.

When a team is less than 100 percent, there's no room for error for the coaches. With our coaching staff, I'm seeing a lot of errors. And it all starts at the top, with
Tomlin.
This IS the point. Our coaches aren't getting the job done, either because they are inept or are too bull-headed to realize that they may need to adapt to overcome. I suspect it's the latter.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #28
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
At this juncture, ummm...if you will, the standard is the standard,uhhh, there will be a lot of football to be played by big men on blades of grass, umm if you will. Ummm, It's a war of attrition and the most violent team wins. Uhhhh, we accept that, um, and it is what it is, thus far. The expectation level is very high, um, as we try to make splash plays without worrying, ummmm about style points.

His new approach will be to put the last sentence (above) of the previous press conference at the beginning of the next press conference.
haha. funny. You just forgot the part where he says "umm...we're not going to change anything we're doing......"
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote