Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338
Default Is It Just Me?

As I read some of the articles and done alot of thinking I remembered how when the first year that Tomlin took over for Cowher that our team made such great adjustments and it just seems like they are no longer doing that to me. Does anyone else notice that or think the same thing?

I love Tomlin and what he brings to the team, but I also believe that he has won alot on the talents of Bill Cowher. I think the first year he, Tomlin that this team made great adjustments to what other teams were doing against us and changing things that wasnt working for our offense vs the other defenses as well. It just seems like its not the same right now and was also missing last year. I believe that our Offensive Line talent has went way down hill since Cowher and Russ Grimm left. I know that alot of the sacks are not our Lines' fault with the way that Ben holds onto the ball for a long time most all the time trying to make plays. But I also agree with Chris Collinsworth when he says that Ben has to make a 3 step drop and get rid of that ball at times as well, especially when teams are just Blitzing the crap out of us like 80% of the time now days.

Does anyone agree with me here or is it just me?

Last edited by SteelCityMom; 11-17-2010 at 12:39 PM.
steelerdave1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Is It Just Me?

no, its not just you.
this "business as usual" garbage has got to change. Not only MUST we make adjustments, you have to now that the entire NFL is on to us.
It was shown clear as day on Sunday night that even during the game Brady was able to read exactly what we were going to do on defense.
What happened to all those different looks and people moving around like crazy? Didn't that used to throw everybody into fits?
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

I agree with most of what you said, but i dont think Ben's the 3 step back QB type, or at least it doesnt look that way. Not sure if they could have him adjust to that or not. The OL is just horrible, has been for 2-3 years now. Gettin rid of the ball isnt always the answer, Brady could of made out grocery list out on some of his Offensive plays.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,084 Times in 2,801 Posts

Brady lit up the 2004 defense in the AFC championship and did it again in the 2005 regular season while Belichick forced the Steelers to try and win with Kordell Stewart in the 2001 AFC Championship and shut down Roethlisberger in the 2004 AFC championship - so the Steelers having no answer for New England goes back 9 years to Cowher's time

As for game time adjustments, the long time rap on Cowher was that he was a one trick pony with running the ball & defense which always blew up on him in the playoffs because he had no answer until Roethlisberger arrived once a well coached team with decent talent could stop the run.

Knowing how to torch the Steelers D and actually doing it are not the same thing if you do not have a precision passer such as Brady or Kurt Warner - not a lot of those guys around
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
Set-Man
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12795

What we are missing is a good set of assistant coaches on the offensive side. I like the addition of Kugler but BA seems to have no leadership of that group. I don't see any cohesiveness between the line, receivers, tight end, etc. Time to mix it up and get some good short passing routes, running back screens on a blitz, scrap the lame receiver bubble screen which never works.

I love Lebeau but I think his zone scheme is getting outdated when we face teams like the Saints or Patriots. They have qbs who can pick it apart.

The other thing is where is the D that showed up the first 4 games of the season. Are they burnt out already? They were on fire those games....
Set-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set-Man View Post
What we are missing is a good set of assistant coaches on the offensive side. I like the addition of Kugler but BA seems to have no leadership of that group. I don't see any cohesiveness between the line, receivers, tight end, etc. Time to mix it up and get some good short passing routes, running back screens on a blitz, scrap the lame receiver bubble screen which never works.

I love Lebeau but I think his zone scheme is getting outdated when we face teams like the Saints or Patriots. They have qbs who can pick it apart.

The other thing is where is the D that showed up the first 4 games of the season. Are they burnt out already? They were on fire those games....
Goodell paid someone $75,000 to "burn out" the Steelers' defense.....as it stands, we get hit with huge fines every week when we try to rush the passer. Silverback is about $1 away from having some time off, thanks to the wussification of the NFL by Chairman GODell.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,968 Times in 892 Posts
My Mood: Cool

can anyone fire Goodell?
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote