Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-27-2006, 09:56 PM   #11
Rush58
Starter

Member Number: 516
Default Re: Do we need to trade up to get LenDale White?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Running backs will be available later. How oten do we draft a first round running back anyway, the last one was probably Worley, and he was a bust. With our line, and commitment to the run, we could be like Denver, whoever you throw in works. I think someone will cut a back eventually, and we will pick him up
See, that's the thing. I see us being productive, stats-wise when it comes to the running game, but not able to pound the clock out without the Bus. That's why LenDale would be so valuable to us. We need a hammer once we get the lead. And right now, I just don't see that rb on our roster.
Rush58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:27 AM   #12
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906

Duce can do it when he's healthy. He was banging away, getting more yards than Bettis before he got his boo boo.

I wish there was a way that we could move up to get RB Lendale White but I just don't see it.

Maybe one of the big backs later in the draft will pan out: RB Wali Lundy, RB Gerald Riggs, or RB Cedric Hume.

With all of our draft picks we can get two of them.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:32 AM   #13
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

With only 3 RB's curretnly in place.... we will get a mudder for sure. Ownership os the same, philosophy is the same, coaches are the same ... is just time to get a new mudder and i am sure somewhere in the draft we will do just that. Where it will be who knows, but i am pretty sure they will get someone who is able to run out that clock and get those tough yards. 1) staley's health 2 ) Parker cant do it 3 ) haynes hasnt shown he can do it and they havn't put him in that spot for a reason

SO the only questionwill be which mudder they will get, i am sure they alreayd have their eye on the guy in the draft.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:32 AM   #14
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031

Joe Bendel, of the Tribune-Review, reports Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher said the Steelers would not rule out going after a running back in the NFL Draft, despite the fact RBs Willie Parker, Duce Staley and Verron Haynes are returning.I really doubt we'll reach for White but if hes there who knows....Cowher and co. have always had an eye for the unknowns so it wouldn't surprise me if they get a RB who is not that well known and he will be a good compliment to the rest of the backfield.....

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!

Last edited by DIESELMAN; 03-28-2006 at 08:36 AM.
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:58 PM   #15
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Alot of Steeler fans seem to think that Duce Staley is far from certain to complete the season healthy.

If you factor that in with a RB who, while having alot of breakaway talent, isn't the every down back the Steelers need - you have to think the Steelers will definitely be looking for a load carrying RB in the first 3 rounds.

A combination of the 3 backs (Haynes, Parker and Staley) would give you a very good RB - but if Staley gets injured and Parker is unable to get consistent yardage on 1st and 2nd down we could see Ben throwing alot more than he wants.

I know all about this scenario - its pretty much what happened to the Pats last year.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:17 PM   #16
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Everyone is saying, IF, Duce stays healthy. My only thing about White is I dont think we need a first rounder to be our big back. White would be great, but we will make a good back great.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #17
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

lol of coursein case Duce gets hurt again or else this wouldnt even be an issue. But soething we have to address since only 3 backs and i seriously doubt Parker is going to be able to carry that much of a load. haynes is ok, but not sure want him in there all the time. We will be getting someone though may be late in 3rd
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:57 AM   #18
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031

I've heard in a few places about the character of White....Heres one by Jim Wexell for Fox Sports Radio 970
Verron Haynes fills a hole on the depth chart and saves the Steelers from further investigation into the character of USC tailback LenDale White.

White’s running style fits the Steelers, who’d like a big back to complement Willie Parker. White is a 240-pounder who runs between the tackles and has enough pop to go the distance – kind of like a young Jerome Bettis. A better comparison would be Natrone Means.

But White’s lifestyle doesn’t fit the Steelers. It’s the character questions that are causing scouts problems. He’s one of the party guys from America’s favorite party team. White once faked a suicide leap off a building to throw a charge into his teammates.

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #19
SteelerFan1
Water Boy

Member Number: 1507

Wow...didn't know that! I wonder if faking my own suicide would throw a charge into my workmates??

Copy more papers damn it!

That's it! I'm jumping!!
SteelerFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #20
drizze99
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1070

If I'm the FO, I don't reach for White. I was high on him after the bowl game, but the more I read about him, the less I like.

I would really like the Steelers to draft Cedric Humes & Martin Nance. I don't care what rounds they come in. Maybe use both picks in the 3rd round to get them?

"You win by attrition. You impose your will on your opponent." ~ Mike Tomlin
drizze99 is offline   Reply With Quote