Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #21
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,798 Times in 2,680 Posts
Default Re: Do we need to trade up to get LenDale White?

If you believe this article, LenDale White may be available with the #32 pick.

At the annual USC Pro Day for NFL scouts this past weekend:

White weighed in at 244 pounds, up six pounds from the doughy 238 pounds he displayed at the NFL scouting combine in February. White also did his best not to display much by wearing a loose-fitting warm-up suit for the entire workout. This was after White drew audible groans from NFL scouts when he bared his chest at the combine.

As one NFL general manager said after seeing White at the combine: ?The guy needed a bra, it was ridiculous. You come to the combine looking like that and you want to be a first-round pick? Come on. The guy had obviously been doing nothing.?

On Sunday, White benched 225 pounds all of 15 times. That?s one more than USC punter Tom Malone and nine less than Bush, who White happens to outweigh by 42 pounds. After doing the bench, White called it a day. He didn?t run the 40-yard dash or do any of the other myriad of drills that so many scouts and coaches were looking forward to.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12126007/

This act is going to cost White millions - with this attitude, the scary part for any team is if White will completely dog it once he gets any kind of signing bonus.

Although the Steelers had some pretty fair success with a RB who fought weight problems, I doubt this is a selling point in White's favor.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:27 PM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
If you believe this article, LenDale White may be available with the #32 pick.

At the annual USC Pro Day for NFL scouts this past weekend:

White weighed in at 244 pounds, up six pounds from the doughy 238 pounds he displayed at the NFL scouting combine in February. White also did his best not to display much by wearing a loose-fitting warm-up suit for the entire workout. This was after White drew audible groans from NFL scouts when he bared his chest at the combine.

As one NFL general manager said after seeing White at the combine: “The guy needed a bra, it was ridiculous. You come to the combine looking like that and you want to be a first-round pick? Come on. The guy had obviously been doing nothing.”

On Sunday, White benched 225 pounds all of 15 times. That’s one more than USC punter Tom Malone and nine less than Bush, who White happens to outweigh by 42 pounds. After doing the bench, White called it a day. He didn’t run the 40-yard dash or do any of the other myriad of drills that so many scouts and coaches were looking forward to.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12126007/

This act is going to cost White millions - with this attitude, the scary part for any team is if White will completely dog it once he gets any kind of signing bonus.

Although the Steelers had some pretty fair success with a RB who fought weight problems, I doubt this is a selling point in White's favor.
i thought of bumping this thread in light of his recent poor pro day. he would have to slip by denver and carolina and he could very well be there. it posing a really interresting delimma. i almost think he would be to good to pass up.

good perspective of him maybe dogging it though. maybe we can trade up to get him in the 2nd round!
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #23
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts

Man, who ever wrote this is a Steeler fan. I can feel it. This is perfect, I was hoping this was going to happen. This is the same crap they were saying about Larry Johnson. Aside from the weight issue, everything from not caring to dedication was said about LJ. If he is there at 32, I have no doubt in my mind Pitt will get him.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:54 PM   #24
SteelersNationsfl
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1658

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/white_lendale

I wouldn't mind picking him up on draft day.

SUMMARYWhite is a junior who came out early for the NFL Draft and is finally getting the publicity he did not get at USC because he shared the backfield with Reggie Bush. He is a big, physical running back who has all the physical tools to be a strong inside runner who consistently breaks tackles and gains yards after contact. However, he will need to do a much better job of picking up his feet when he runs in traffic to avoid being tripped up by low/grab tackles so often. He has good vision and instincts running with the ball and they combine with his quick feet so that he can make sharp cuts and get through the hole quickly. He has the ability to run aggressively, lower his shoulder and deliver a hard blow to tackler -- he can knock the tackler off his feet surprisingly well. Overall, White may not have the athleticism and the big play ability of Reggie Bush, but he is going to be a good starting running back in the NFL who will be able to handle 25-plus carries a game and will consistently gain yards after contact. While he might have the talent to start in any type of offense, White is best suited to play for a team that relies on a power running game that does a lot of inside running.
CRITICAL FACTORSSizeAthletic AbilityHandsCompetesPlay SpeedBlocking7.56.05.06.56.06.0

STRONG POINTSHe is a surprisingly good athlete for such a big back, which allows him to make sharp cuts to get through the backside hole very well. He has the quick feet and agility to avoid tacklers in the backfield and can accelerate to full speed quickly. While he lacks explosiveness, he does get through the hole fast and has the play speed to make big plays once he gets to full speed. He runs very strong and aggressive, which helps him to consistently break tackles and gain yards after contact. He does a very good job of reading the defense to adjust to different blitzes, gets into good position and stands up blitzers in their tracks consistently -- very good strength as pass blocker.

WEAKNESSESWhite lacks the explosiveness to shoot through the hole to get behind the defense in a flash and does not have the premier playing speed to run away from the defense on long runs and will get caught from behind in the NFL. He is not an elusive runner and will not be able to make tacklers miss in the NFL. He lacks the burst to get the corner on his own and cannot bounce runs outside when the middle is clogged up. He is an adequate receiver out of the backfield -- limited catches at USC and did not look natural on the few chances he had.

POSITIONAL FACTORSGradeCategoryComments/Description6.0Run InstinctsHe has good natural vision and run instincts that help him to consistently find the right hole.5.0ElusivenessWhile he has a little bit of a wiggle to avoid tacklers, he is not a really elusive make-you-miss runner.6.0Cutback AbiltyHis vision, instincts and quick feet help him to consistently find and get through the cutback hole.6.5Inside RunnerHas excellent strength running inside and gains yards after contact, but needs to pick up his feet better.5.5Outside RunnerLacks explosive burst to get the corner on his own, but has strength to break tackles consistently on outside.5.0Hands - ReceivingHe caught very few passes in the games that were graded and did not look very natural on the few he did catch.5.0Adjust to BallIn the games he was graded, he didn't get the chances and is not a natural receiver.6.0Runs After CatchLimited experience catching passes, but once he gets the ball out in space he is a strong and dangerous runner.5.0Run BlockerVery limited experience, but has the flexibility, strength and athleticism to be good lead blocker.6.5Pass BlockerHe does a very good job of reading and adjusting to blitz and blocks strong at the point of attack consistently.6.5Durability/ToughnessWhile there is some question about his durability, he is no doubt tough enough to become durable.6.5Fumbles/ErrorWhite is not a fumbler and does not make any errors of note.
ATHLETIC ABILITYSection Grade: 6.0White is a good athlete and often seems even more athletic because of how well he moves for such a big back. He has deceptively quick feet to get through the hole quickly and accelerating to full speed fast -- he isn't explosive through holes, but is definitely quick enough. His agility combines with quick feet to change directions pretty well. He can stop and start quickly to avoid tacklers in the backfield. His balance, agility and body control help him to consistently keep his feet vs. hard hits and to run through low arm/grab tackles when he runs aggressively. He gets tripped up by these low tackles when he does not run aggressively and pick feet up well. White has good natural flexibility, but tends to be an upright runner most of the time before contact -- he can bend his knees and lower his shoulder to deliver a hard initial blow to the tackler and has the strength to knock him backward. While he is a good athlete who can avoid tacklers in the backfield, he is a big running back and lacks the elusiveness and burst in other direction to consistently make tacklers miss out in space.
Q.A.B.Quick FeetC.O.D.FlexibilityCoordination6.06.06.06.06.0
COMPETITIVENESSSection Grade: 6.5White is a tough, hard-nosed running back who consistently has played through injuries and always seems willing to deliver a hard, punishing blow to the tackler. Although he has not consistently gotten all the touches in key situations, when he has been given the opportunity he consistently stepped up and picked up the important yards when they mattered most. His overall production was consistently very good when he played aggressively, but when he stays upright running in traffic and does not pick up feet while running in traffic he will struggle to ever play up to his raw talent consistently.
ToughnessClutch PlayProductionConsistencyTeam PlayerPride/Quit6.56.56.06.56.56.5
MENTAL ALERTNESSSection Grade: 6.0White is generally a smart young man who learns well and it shows in his consistently good pass blocking technique and his smart patience following blockers very well. But he has not learned to pick up his feet consistently when he runs through traffic and it leads to him getting tripped up too easily by low/grab tackles. He has very good instincts and can react quickly to what he sees to burst through the hole. His instincts also show in his consistently good adjustment to different blitzes. His ability to maintain his concentration helps him to consistently run strong between the tackles, keep his feet vs. hard hits and to break tackles and gain yards after contact.
Learn/RetainInstincts/ReactionsConcentration6.06.06.0STRENGTH/EXPLOSIONSection Grade: 6.5He has excellent size for a running back -- although he played at approximately 240 pounds in 2005 and is much better suited to play at 225. It is definitely a concern that he has split carries throughout his career with Reggie Bush, so he has not proven that he can be a durable starter over an entire season. But with his natural size, strength and toughness, he will be a very durable player in the NFL. While he is a good athelte with a quick burst through the hole for a big back, he lacks explosiveness through the hole. When he bends his knees, lowers his shoulder and runs aggressively, he can deliver an explosive blow to any tackler and can knock him backward. He has the outstanding play strength to be a consistently strong and powerful runner -- he can break tackles and stiff arms tacklers very well to consistently gain a lot of yards after contact.
Body TypeDurabilityExplosionPlay Strength7.56.55.57.0
SteelersNationsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:19 PM   #25
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I can't see him slipping past Carolina, but maybe they take Maroney? Either way, Carolina learned the hard way what happens if you don't have enough depth at RB in the NFCCG last year...I think they take a RB and take one early.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #26
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I still say we don`t trade up for him,and I don`t see the STeelers trading for him anyway, especially with all the doubts about him being thrown around. Maybe if he were healthy and not lazy
Old 04-26-2006, 09:38 PM   #27
Palmers Knee

Member Number:

I think if he's there, the Steelers will take him, but I doubt they'll trade up to get him. The Steelers didn't get to where they are by giving picks away. However, I'm not sure he'll be there. He's pretty tempting to anyone in the 20's, regardless of the combine crap. He produces. The team I don't think will take him is Carolina though. They have a big back in Shelton, he was hurt last year, and Foster is their go to guy.

By the way, I'm banned from the Bengals messageboard for some reason, so get used to me hanging around. Hopefully I can exist, and carry on serious conversations without getting bashed because I root for the Bengals. I'm not here to rip the Steelers, maybe just a few overzealous fans.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:01 PM   #28
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmers Knee
The Steelers didn't get to where they are by giving picks away. .

By the way, I'm banned from the Bengals messageboard for some reason, so get used to me hanging around. Hopefully I can exist, and carry on serious conversations without getting bashed because I root for the Bengals. I'm not here to rip the Steelers, maybe just a few overzealous fans.
the steelers did trade up to get k. bell. t. polamalu, and r. colclough. if carolina drafts white, i bet foster quickly becomes #2.

dont worry about it. youre here to talk football then you will fit in just fine. minus the stripes of course. even steelerfans cant always agree on everything. welcome to the board.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:16 PM   #29
Palmers Knee

Member Number:

I stand corrected then. The trading up surprises me though, seeing how much against it Marvin seems to be. And from what I've read he seems to be cut from the same cloth as Cowher. But I guess if trading up gets you those kind of players, you can't argue. Personally, I like the idea of trading down if you're picking late, assuming you have some talent evaluators that know what they're doing. I love mulitple picks and there are quality players in rounds 3 and 4.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:45 PM   #30
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmers Knee
I stand corrected then. The trading up surprises me though, seeing how much against it Marvin seems to be. And from what I've read he seems to be cut from the same cloth as Cowher. But I guess if trading up gets you those kind of players, you can't argue. Personally, I like the idea of trading down if you're picking late, assuming you have some talent evaluators that know what they're doing. I love mulitple picks and there are quality players in rounds 3 and 4.
as conservative as they seem, k. colbert and the steelers play it very loosey goosey on draft day. they call every team and inquire about trades, either up and down, and for every round, to find out what options exist. nothing is out of the possibility. if they need to trade up in the 4th round for a specific player, they pretty much know what team they need to call, within the alotted 10 minutes or so.