Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-18-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ward thinks Chung should be fined for helmet-to-helmet hit

Ward thinks Chung should be fined for helmet-to-helmet hit
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_709847.html
By Mark Kaboly
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hines Ward is well aware of the crackdown by the NFL on helmet-to-helmet hits. He has watched the video produced by the league on what is legal and what is a fineable offense. After getting knocked out of Sunday's game by Patriots safety Patrick Chung with an apparent helmet-to-helmet hit, Ward wondered Wednesday why Chung has yet to hear from the league about a fine. "I was falling down and I wasn't expecting to get hit," Ward said. "He hit me, and that is what caused the head/neck or whatever you guys want to call it. I don't know what the league wants. It is what it is. It was helmet to helmet, and I thought that is what usually causes a fine. I am not going to sit there and worry about if the guy got fined or not." Chung was not fined by the league as of yesterday, but the NFL usually doesn't make fines known to public until Friday.

Guard Chris Kemoeatu went through practice yesterday for the first time since injuring his right ankle against Cincinnati. "I plan on going this week," Kemoeatu said. "It's my ankle. I took a little stuff for it and I think I'm ready."

Defensive end Brett Keisel isn't as optimistic about his return. Keisel was limited in practice; he is still nursing a hamstring injury that has kept him out of three of the past four games. "I probably should've waited a little more last week," Keisel said. Keisel originally injured the hamstring against Cleveland and aggravated it two weeks ago against the Bengals.

Sitting out practice for the Steelers were safety Will Allen (concussion), defensive end Nick Eason (illness), defensive tackle Steve McLendon (illness), safety Troy Polamalu (Achilles) and defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps), cornerback Crezdon Butler (quadriceps) and linebacker Lawrence Timmons (hip).

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Ward thinks Chung should be fined for helmet-to-helmet hit

He's right. You can't fine one guy....then completely over-look the next guy for the exact same thing. They're creating a dangerous double standard here.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Hayeksheroes
Banned

Member Number: 15387

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
He's right. You can't fine one guy....then completely over-look the next guy for the exact same thing. They're creating a dangerous double standard here.
Goodell thinks Ward is dirty. This is poetic justice.

Fire Goodell for the good of the NFL.
Hayeksheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Mumbly_Joe
Water Boy

Member Number: 17310

I general don't register and register places just to get into arguments but I feel there are two points that need to be brought up

1. Patrick Chung did not commit a helmet to helmet hit against Ward, it was James Sanders

2. (and this is where the argument starts) Here is the Video

My assessment (as a pats homer) is that Sanders is beginning to raise his head up, not drop it down which would lead me to believe that he's is trying to avoid hitting ward with the crown of his helmet (additionally Sanders is not actually moving), a helmet to helmet hit is not automatically a penalty on defense, the penalty is for lowering your head and striking your opponent with the crown of your helmet and that is how it's been enforced (Colts game Austin Collie got his bell rung), I think by that interpretation you could argue that hit does not warrant a fine
Mumbly_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,069 Times in 2,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly_Joe View Post
I general don't register and register places just to get into arguments but I feel there are two points that need to be brought up

1. Patrick Chung did not commit a helmet to helmet hit against Ward, it was James Sanders

My assessment (as a pats homer) is that Sanders is beginning to raise his head up, not drop it down which would lead me to believe that he's is trying to avoid hitting ward with the crown of his helmet (additionally Sanders is not actually moving), a helmet to helmet hit is not automatically a penalty on defense, the penalty is for lowering your head and striking your opponent with the crown of your helmet and that is how it's been enforced (Colts game Austin Collie got his bell rung), I think by that interpretation you could argue that hit does not warrant a fine
thanks for joining.

i, myself, keep wondering why pat chung's name keeps being brought up in this.

keep in mind, in the past 3 seasons, the steelers have had 3 "viloent hit shots" rules implimented against them (and the rest of the league.

the hines ward rule- (seriously a rule against wr's hitting lb's?)

the ryan clark rule- (no hitting patriot players too hard)

the james harrison rule- (no knocking 2 players the **** out in the same game)

as arbitrary as all three of these rules are, and as inconsistent as the nfl refs have been in calling all other rules, even a pats homer can understand steelerfans (and players, coaches, and ownership) wondering WTF is going on.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446

Hines has hit guys harder than i have ever seen and maybe it was a taste-of -your own medicine thing but if the league fines players for violent hits then fine everyone! Not a person on earth can convince me that the Pats are not treated differantly as far as rules are concerned. Fine for hits or let the Football players play, not a differant set of boundries for the pretty boy Bradys'
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

the fact that nobody, including the player, knows what the hell an illegal hit is tells you what a messed up job the league is doing.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,381 Times in 2,284 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:

i stopped reading after #1 go **** yourself
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:54 AM   #9
MikeHaullace
Starter

Member Number: 16733
Cool Re: Ward thinks Chung should be fined for helmet-to-helmet hit

Quote:
My assessment (as a pats homer) is

Irrelevant.

Fact of the matter is, Goodell said a defensive player is accountable for all contact, regardless of intent. When hats collide, money is taken.

That's how it was explained to Harrison who INTENTED on putting his shoulder into Massaquoi's torso. Problem for Harrison is, after he had already dropped his head to make the tackle, he didn't see MMq drop/duck last second. This last-second reaction made by MMq was irrelevant in the decision made when imposing the fine. Say it with me : $75,000. (the cribbs tackle inclusion was equally b.s. and unavoidable)

That, Joe, is why I am upset there has been no fine.

Because, F^$k Roger Goodell. He's an inconsistent, Rooney-envious, big-ego'ed, drunken-with-power sociopath with a personal vendetta against the Steelers. Or so it seems. But we all know, things are not always what they seem.

Welcome to the board.

Brett Favre.
MikeHaullace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

welcome but as a Pats fan, you can't just look at the Pats player, James Sanders, and say "well, it wasn't intentional, the other guy lowered his head, etc...". You're obviously looking at the hit as its "your guy". If you look fairly at the "rule and incidents, its non-negotiable.
The exact same thing happened in the Harrison incident. He meant to hit with his shoulder and it ended up being helmet to helmet because the other guy lowered his head...and bam!! Fine.
And just for the record, i don't think anybody should be fined for any of these hits. If any hit this year should have incurred a fine, it was indeed the Merriweather hit as that was obviously intentional .
But........in this instance.......a fine should be levied. Once again, and i don't see why everybody is having a hard time understanding this, you fine ONE player.....you have to fine the next player for the same result (as much as it pains me to say that because i don't agree with the new "rule" at all and think it is hurting the game + quality of play). You cannot pick and choose "who you want to fine" and attempt to get inside certain players heads and become God and decide that this one was intentional, that one wasn't, etc. This is extremely clear.
You really didn't have to post the video, we've all seen it dozens of times, and its very clear. All league "rules", as stupid, dumb, and detrimental to the league as they are, should apply to one and all fairly and consistently across the board.

No one here is out to say Pats players should be fined "because a Steeler was fined" or anything of the sort. But it has to be consistent. And it has not been. Goodell's office is playing God and creating double standards and clear unfairness out there.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote