Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-18-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers react to Reed's dismissal

Steelers react to Reed's dismissal
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...dismissal.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Wednesday November 17, 2010 11:35 PM

PITTSBURGH — For many Steelers, it was a sad Wednesday. They no longer had Jeff Reed as a teammate.

One day after Reed’s nine-year run as the team’s kicker ended, the mood in the locker room was obviously melancholy.

“He’s a guy who always kept a smile on everybody’s face,” safety Ryan Clark said. “When you lose a friend, a guy who’s gotten you through so many clutch moments, it’s upsetting. Jeff was a guy who lifted our spirits every day. So we’re going to miss him. “

Reed, the kicker for two Super Bowl teams and the second-leading scorer in team history, was cut after making only 15-of-22 field goal attempts in nine games. Among full-time NFL kickers, he ranked last with a 68.2 percent success rate.

“When I talked to Jeff, I told him I couldn’t believe it,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

“This is a performance based business, and when you don’t perform, things like this happen,” linebacker James Farrior said.

“That’s the stark reality of this business,” added punter Daniel Sepulveda, who was Reed’s holder.
Advertisement Click Here

Before and after the Steelers practiced Wednesday with their new kicker Shaun Suisham, the No. 1 topic of the day was Reed. His release has also been the No. 1 topic on radio talk shows in Pittsburgh.

“Jeff had a great run here,” wide receiver Hines Ward said. “We won a lot of games with Jeff. He was a close to a lot of guys on the team. When you lose a guy like that, it always hurts.

“But in this case, Coach (Mike) Tomlin was doing what he felt was best for the team. As a player, all you can do is respect his decision and move on.”

In the off-season, the Steelers placed a franchise tag on Reed, which meant he got a one-year contract worth $2.8 million. That’s the average of the top five salaries for kickers last year.

Reed has been paid $1.6 million. Because he cleared waivers Wednesday, the Steelers must pay him the remaining $1.2 million of his contract.

He is now eligible to sign with any other team.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: Steelers react to Reed's dismissal

So now we have a depressed team with Ben screaming at them.

nice call coach
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,796 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

nice call coach
Scott Brown's article in the Trib-Review today that mesa put in a separate thread (mesa - thanks for taking the time on a daily basis to get the articles up - it is greatly appreciated by me) has what seems to pass for a logical explanation for Reed's demise (assuming the real story is not something along the lines of Reed getting drunk and cussing out Tomlin's wife when he called Tomlin's house at 4 a.m. Monday morning to chew out Tomlin for not supporting his request for a new contract)

I guess if Tomlin decided Reed's increasing problems that made him perhaps the least dependable kicker in the league at the moment were not going to get fixed this year, Reed was not coming back next year under any circumstances, and the window for this current team to compete is closing fast thenReed had to go now. If that makes the locker room sad Tomlin figures they will deal with - it's nothing personal, it's strictly business

The vibe coming from the coaches and players this week is pure panic .
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,904 Times in 864 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
“This is a performance based business, and when you don’t perform, things like this happen,” linebacker James Farrior said
did you hear that Arians
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,500 Times in 2,337 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

nice call coach
i guess ben is yelling at the team cause the coach isn't . everytime something goes wrong, tomlin just stares off into space with a deer in headlights look that reminds me of kordell stewart
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote