Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Arians speaks

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
View From The Press Box

Arians speaks

November 18th, 2010

Judging by the response to the blog entry I posted earlier this week about Bruce Arians, it's probably best to post a transcript of his Thursday Q&A sessions with reporters.

Thanks to all who took part in and kept the disuccsion going about Arians and the job he has done as the Steelers' offensivfe coordinator. A lot of insight was provided by a lot of people, and it gave me a good sampling as to how Steelers fans feel about Arians.

That being said, here is Arians' talk with reporters following practice Thursday:

Q: Is it possible you might start opening up the offense more?

A: “I don’t think so. Each game’s a little different. We talk about it each week. Last week we had to (open it up) but we want to maintain balance as long as we can in the game. To me, (50/50) is the perfect ratio. You come into a game and you have the lead in the fourth quarter the runs are going to go up.”

Q: Has anything stood out about why the offense has struggled to score touchdowns in the red zone?

A: “Yeah, dropped balls. We haven’t run it very good inside the 10-yard line. We’ve had like first and goal at the seven or eight and we haven’t run the ball for 3 (yards), run the ball for 3 (yards) and gotten it down there where you have two things to do. We’ve thrown it into the end zone and it’s come right back to second and 7. We need to pick that up.”

Q: How do you react when players are making mistakes like they were last week?

A: “You identify the problems and you keep your poise on the sidelines because there’s a long way to go. The most disappointing thing to me is we’ve been very, very good for four years starting second halves, and we have not been very good this year. We’ve not been starting ballgames as good (either). It seems like we get going instead of coming out ready to go and we’ve talked about it a lot.”

Q: Was the last game a particularly disappointing one?

A: “Oh yeah. I never would have guessed we would play that poorly and made the mistakes we made.”

Q: What did you come up with after reviewing tape as to why you played so poorly?

A: “I think each guy has to answer that individually. We had opportunities to catch the ball and score touchdowns and keep it pretty daggone close and we didn’t make the plays and overall we never ran the ball as well as we thought we would. Of course, you’re down two scores in the second half and things change but we should have been able to keep that game closer.”

Q: Has the offense's approach changed with Ben?

A: “Not really. We’re still trying to establish runs for play actions, throw on running downs, mix it up, more so like when Charlie (Batch) was in at the beginning of September. ”

Q: Have injuries along the offensive line affected the play calling, especially since you've had your share of them during games?

A: “You can’t change what your game plan is, you just expect the next guy to step up and play and it gets taxing after awhile when it happens every damn week.”

Q: If you see that backups can’t step up, don’t you have to change the game plan?

A: “If they can’t do something you try not to do that but if they can’t do something then you’re in trouble. If they can’t run block hopefully they can pass block. If they can’t play we’re dead but it’s something that we preach hard, whoever steps in, we won’t change what we’re doing. Now sometimes you get bad matchups, you try to stay out of formations that create those matchups up front if you can.”

Q: Tony Hills played late in the Patriots game. Was Flozell OK?

A: “He had stung his ankle the series before pretty good and he stayed in. We probably should have taken him out then but then Flo came back. Tony he’s done fairly well with the opportunities he’s had.”

Q: What did you think of Ben calling Hines and both deciding that they needed to step up as leaders on offense?

A: “It doesn’t surprise me I think people blow that relationship more into what it really is and things are said in the hest of battle sometimes that nobody really means. I’ve never sensed that there wasn’t a really good relationship there.”

Q: What about them both taking it upon themselves to lead?

A: “That’s what they need to do. They’re the vets, they’re the guys, they’re the ‘A’ players, and I’ve always felt they have done that. I know this. I’ve been here seven years and that’s the best two practices Hines has had in five of them because he hasn’t practiced on Wednesday in a long time. He wanted to prove to everybody that he was healthy. He had two great practices and showed a lot of the younger guys how to do it."
Filed under: Steelers Comments (15)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483
Default Re: Arians speaks

A: “I don’t think so. Each game’s a little different. We talk about it each week. Last week we had to (open it up) but we want to maintain balance as long as we can in the game. To me, (50/50) is the perfect ratio. You come into a game and you have the lead in the fourth quarter the runs are going to go up
.”

And the band plays on. What horse$h*t
Old 11-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

shouldve said:

We run on running downs, try to run on passing downs, but always punt on 4th and long. We might try passing on running downs, and running on running downs more. Especially when we are behind, as per Mr. Rooney, we can never run enough.

Or, perhaps we should try to challenge the call when we actually run the ball in and get called short?
OR perhaps, just stick with what works when something is working?
Or maybe lets try to no huddle early on to get them from blitzing 10 every play and we go 3 set 3 and out?
OR maybe, just maybe we can ask the WR's to turn the F around on blitzes so we have someone to pass too?
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
pitt0wns
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15034

All of us fans are trying to point the finger somewhere and our easiest target is Arians.

I'm not a fan of him but it is true that we had a lot of balls dropped but then again you can blame the offensive line not holding up for Ben to make some throws.

I think the our defense was the killer in that game. Hard to win when your D cannot make a stop. Our D is no where near a championship defense.

The firing of Jeff Reed was a huge mistake and shows what a clown Tomlin is. You don't make that change in the middle of the season for someone who is worse.
pitt0wns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

That's the key right there. If you KNOW your offensive line can't protect your QB for more than a 3 step drop, then it's up to the offensive coordinator to recognize that, and say, oh, I don't know.... ROLL THE QB OUT OF THE POCKET once in a while. DRAW plays. Quick slants. ANYTHING but going 4 wide or bubble screens!! GOD BA is BS.
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
California-Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11917

Q: Have injuries along the offensive line affected the play calling, especially since you've had your share of them during games?

A: “You can’t change what your game plan is, you just expect the next guy to step up and play and it gets taxing after awhile when it happens every damn week.”

Q: If you see that backups can’t step up, don’t you have to change the game plan?

A: “If they can’t do something you try not to do that but if they can’t do something then you’re in trouble. If they can’t run block hopefully they can pass block. If they can’t play we’re dead but it’s something that we preach hard, whoever steps in, we won’t change what we’re doing. Now sometimes you get bad matchups, you try to stay out of formations that create those matchups up front if you can.”

WOW!!!! Right from the donkey's (Jackazz's) mouth. Put that square peg into that round hole Bruce...

Last edited by California-Steel; 11-19-2010 at 04:41 PM.
California-Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

What a flipping moron!!!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,026 Times in 3,357 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,361 Times in 4,303 Posts

ive said for 2 years now that he would be so much more tolerable if he would just STFU and never speak to the media again.

i swear everytime he speaks a spew of garbled bullshit comes out. its much better for us to just think hes and idiot instead of opening his mouth and proving it.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

A: “I don’t think so. Each game’s a little different. We talk about it each week. Last week we had to (open it up) but we want to maintain balance as long as we can in the game. To me, (50/50) is the perfect ratio. You come into a game and you have the lead in the fourth quarter the runs are going to go up.”

And it shows week after week..........I wonder if Arians watch's himself on tape, cause this F**c'n records skipping!... He thinks he's still a winner just because Tomlin takes him to pizza hut after a loss.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote