Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 03-28-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Steelers to downplay opening festivities....

Don't expect the Steelers to make too much of a fuss about their long-awaited fifth Super Bowl title on Sept. 7, when Miami visits Pittsburgh in the NFL's Kickoff Weekend Thursday-night regular-season opener. Making a grand to-do of hanging a Super Bowl banner at Heinz Field -- akin to what the then-defending champion Patriots did the past two Thursday night openers at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro -- is not the Steelers' way of doing things. The venerable Rooney informed me of this on Monday, after the league announced its glamour Week 1 matchups.
"It's a big game, and it's a great way to open up, back on NBC, but no, we don't do the banner thing,'' Rooney said.

But aren't the Steelers going to do a little commemorating or self-congratulation in the pre-game?

"No, we don't do things like that,'' he said. "We gave them all rings, and we have a trophy for winning that game.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...eetings/1.html

Typical Rooney style and humility....
Old 03-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182
Default Re: Steelers to downplay opening festivities....

damn, i wanted another ticke tape parade lol lol

It is perfect Rooney style and humilty .. the Rooney's have any daughters aroudn the age of 25 or so ? i soooo want to be in that family !! ha
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I was hoping they would make something big of this occasion. While I'm still looking forward to attending, it's kind of lame they are not going to celebrate this ring to the fullest on opening day. Oh well.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031

CLASS ACT!!!!! They will definitely act like its not the first time they've won the SB.....

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:59 AM   #5
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520

pretty much what I expected. the guys will be focused on starting this season off right, not dwelling on the past year (as great as it was..)
Old 03-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
Ward86MVP
Water Boy

Member Number: 1998

I think they need to celebrate this with the fans at Heinz Field. There is nothing outlandish or unsportsmanlike about celebrating the distribution of the rings or the hanging of a championship banner. The Patriots won their titles and celebrated accordingly. Was anybody offended? The guys on the field earned that championship, and all of us fans, who pay lots of money each year to follow this team, earned the right to enjoy this to the fullest. It may be another 26 years before another title. Life is unpredictable.

I love the Rooney family's humility and sportsmanship, earned over the course of almost 75 years in football. However, they will not be questioned nor will they lose respect for celebrating a hard-earned, long awaited Super Bowl win in their own stadium.
Ward86MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward86MVP
and all of us fans, who pay lots of money each year to follow this team, earned the right to enjoy this to the fullest. It may be another 26 years before another title.
Right on.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward86MVP
I think they need to celebrate this with the fans at Heinz Field. There is nothing outlandish or unsportsmanlike about celebrating the distribution of the rings or the hanging of a championship banner. The Patriots won their titles and celebrated accordingly. Was anybody offended? The guys on the field earned that championship, and all of us fans, who pay lots of money each year to follow this team, earned the right to enjoy this to the fullest. It may be another 26 years before another title. Life is unpredictable.

I love the Rooney family's humility and sportsmanship, earned over the course of almost 75 years in football. However, they will not be questioned nor will they lose respect for celebrating a hard-earned, long awaited Super Bowl win in their own stadium.
Very well said!!

I'm all for "The Rooney-Steeler Way" of how they conduct business but I don't think hoisting a championship flag or banner at Heinz Field would be arrogant or out of line.
I plan on being at the season/home opener game and like a couple of others who plan on being there as well have stated...part of that night was hoping to see some sort of celebration.

C'mon Mr. Rooney loosen up a little.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #9
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Remember when we were discussing this awhile back? I think there will still be a nice, understated and classy celebration, they are just looking to avoid the gaint kitsch-fest that took place at Gillette last year with streamers and fireworks and U2 playing in the top of a tiny football helmets and whatnot.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

Surely there will be something, as you said.. just nothing over the top
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote