Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,486 Times in 3,332 Posts
Default Are The Steelers Being Targeted?

The question is out there

The general feeling inside the Steelers' locker room is that it's possible they're being made an example of almost on a weekly basis.

In the new-age NFL where playing punishing defense is becoming increasingly frowned upon, the Steelers (7-3) are the team that most exemplifies that style. The NFL and its most successful franchise have butted heads all season as the league continues to try to pull back the Steel Curtain in the form of heavy fines and penalties.

It was never more clear than Sunday as Pittsburgh pounded the Raiders into submission. A blowout win was clouded by the enormous number of flags showering Heinz Field. Whether it was linebacker James Harrison getting a roughing-the-passer call on a clean play, or safety Ryan Clark wrongfully called for a helmet-to-helmet blow when Clark made contact with the receiver's back, there was no flow to an ugly game dominated by officiating.

In what has become virtually another weekly routine, it's time for the Steelers to await word on possible fines.

"We'll see what happens with those once Wednesday gets here," said Harrison, who has been at the center of the NFL's increased attention to big hits. "The way I see it, I don't think it was a callable flag -- a good, clean hit. I don't know, I guess he felt different.

"We're going to play together no matter what. And when there are a lot of penalties that are going against you, that's going to bring you closer together and you are going to play harder."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

After watching that travesty today, i actually think the team is liberated - the refs have been told to call anything so just play it as you always have
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Are The Steelers Being Targeted?

Yes. Plain and simple.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

YES!!! we are being targeted.. Dan Rooney needs to board a plane from Ireland and meet that douche-bag Goodell face-to-face and tell him he's running the league into the ground.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
Steelerindc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15880

This is the can of worms Roger Goodell has opened. The officiating was horrible today, the Referee should get fined for his performance once who ever governs them watch this footage.

Let's not forget that Bullshit pass interference against Ike Taylor, something has to give.
Steelerindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Something that has never been mentioned.... the steelers are the cause of this entire crackdown by the NFL. The Mike Webster suit against the NFL set a precedent that sent shock waves through the league. The out come of that suit has actually changed the game it self. The judge/jury said the NFL is liable for the long term well being of players....the NFL now has to pay disability to players who suffered head injuries while playing. I remember when this verdict came down it was said to have cost the NFL billions long term because of this verdict. Future suits are sure to follow if the NFL does not show they are out to protect players from head trauma.

We are now seeing those effects. The Rooney's supported Mike Webster and from what I hear they were not happy about the NFL's stance on his mental health. So it shouldn't shock anyone to see the league making an example out of the steelers. Was it coincidence that the first move made by the new commissioner was to break up the Rooney's ownership of the steelers? Then last season Goodall suspends Ben for 4 games...even though he was never charged with any crime? Seems to me that Goodall has been after the steelers / Rooney's since he took over.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,327 Times in 515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
Something that has never been mentioned.... the steelers are the cause of this entire crackdown by the NFL. The Mike Webster suit against the NFL set a precedent that sent shock waves through the league. The out come of that suit has actually changed the game it self. The judge/jury said the NFL is liable for the long term well being of players....the NFL now has to pay disability to players who suffered head injuries while playing. I remember when this verdict came down it was said to have cost the NFL billions long term because of this verdict. Future suits are sure to follow if the NFL does not show they are out to protect players from head trauma.

We are now seeing those effects. The Rooney's supported Mike Webster and from what I hear they were not happy about the NFL's stance on his mental health. So it shouldn't shock anyone to see the league making an example out of the steelers. Was it coincidence that the first move made by the new commissioner was to break up the Rooney's ownership of the steelers? Then last season Goodall suspends Ben for 4 games...even though he was never charged with any crime? Seems to me that Goodall has been after the steelers / Rooney's since he took over.
There's a difference between protecting the player, and BS calls

Harrison's hits on the receivers did deserve the flag but not the penalty because the receiver was ready for the hit. The hit on the Campbell was absolutely BS and didn't deserve to be flagged.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9669

Yes, no question about it. Any unbiased person who watched today's game would conclude the steelers were targets. How do they call all those penalties on us...but they miss very simple calls like that D holding on the raiders on that 3rd down pass to sanders. Or when Hines was tackled in the end zone on the pass to wallace. Today was a joke...what's really unbelieveable is how we overcame it all to not only win...but to win 35-3...amazing. I hope the steelers play with a chip on their shoulder the rest of the season and force that dick goodell to hand them a 7th...and have that other dick j.jones sit there with a plastic look on his face while we win one in his building.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post

Understood. But the Webster thing really doesn't fall with "the Steelers". Thats football in general.
It appears the rumor that Goodell is a Patriots fan seems to be more and more true. No excuse for the Pats player last week to not have been fined.
The problem with the NFL office taking out against Pittsburgh is that its ridicously blatant and its starting to be exposed by everyone. it's unsustainable.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,486 Times in 3,332 Posts

Gregg Doyel with CBS Sportsline chimes in

This was a physical game, and don't let the awful officiating confuse the issue. The box score shows that Pittsburgh was penalized 14 times for a franchise-record 163 yards, compared to seven penalties for 55 yards against the Raiders, but that's misleading. The referees were terrible. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but the officiating was so one-sided -- some of the calls against Pittsburgh so mystifying -- that I researched the background of referee Tony Corrente. Just out of curiosity.

Me, I'm curious about Goodell's reaction to Seymour -- and the officiating

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...lers-smackdown

I have always laughed at anyone who claims the refs are targeting a team - after today i am calling into question my assumption for the last 4 decades as a fan that the refs play it straight
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9669

Watching NBC football night and dungy said harrison will hear from the front office about his personal foul today. What??? It better be an apology..and maybe a rebate check to account for the bad calls. Even Dan Fouts calling the game said that was a terrible call. Come on dungy!