Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,561 Times in 3,985 Posts
Default James and teammates pissed/confused about enforcement of "rules"

the steelers are screwed. they are defiant and speaking out en masse.

does goodell have the power to suspend the whole team? i guess we will find out....

http://www.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/Index

Quote:
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers LB James Harrison found himself at a vexing loss after Sunday's 35-3 throttling of the Oakland Raiders.

The 2008 Defensive Player of the Year still doesn't know what is and isn't a legal hit after being called for his fifth personal foul this season when Harrison planted Raiders QB Jason Campbell in the Heinz Field turf as Campbell threw a third-quarter pass.

Not only did the ensuing 15-yard roughing-the-passer penalty wipe out cornerback Ike Taylor's apparent 16-yard, third-quarter INT return for a TD, it left Harrison's teammates feeling concern for him.

Harrison finished with five tackles, two sacks, an INT, a forced fumble and a cloud of doubt still hovering over him.

"The call on James was an unfortunate call that took back a TD on defense. I really don't think it was a bad hit,'' LB James Farrior said. "No doubt about it, James Harrison is more confused than ever. I don't know what's going through his mind right now.

"It seems like he can't do anything right. It's getting bad."

Harrison insisted his hit on Campbell was within the rules -- a legal wrap-up form tackle. He also insisted commissioner Roger Goodell should have more former players reviewing hits and determining fines with more recent playing experience than ex-San Francisco 49ers safety Merton Hanks (who retired after the 1999 season)

"I'm playing within the rules of the game as far as I'm concerned,'' Harrison said. "I don't think there's enough of them (former players who review and determine illegal hits) up there that have played the game. They say they have guys up here in New York that have played the game.

"They have Merton Hanks. The game's a lot faster now then it was when he played. I play linebacker. Things happen a lot faster when you're closer to the line of scrimmage than when you're a safety like he was.

Harrison drew one of six personal foul penalties -- out of 14 total penalties -- whistled against the Steelers.

"We were playing the way we play 'Steelers ball.' That's fast and hard,'' Harrison said.

"I'm just going to play the game the way I've been taught to play and let the cards fall where they may.''

"You hope it all balances out,'' defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said when asked about the personal foul called against Harrison. "We're trying to get them to lower their target zone. That's what we're trying to emphasize.''

Said Polamalu: "I can't imagine us changing our style. We have to leave it up to them (the officials). When I'm playing, I'm not thinking whether it's a fine or not a fine.

"Other players might be."
Old 11-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Re: James and teammates pissed/confused about enforcement of "rules"

After wathcing today's game, I'm completely confused as to what's a legal and an illegal hit. Harrison's hit was timely ( a split second after release of ball), in the desired target (thigh pads to chest seems the only place you can now hit a QB), and a form wrap tackle instead of a hit. So the refs says he landed on the QB with his full weight. How in the hell is he suppossed to land? With half his weight (we're not in outerspace with zero gravity). If the defender is moving forward and the QB is stationary the defender is going to land on the QB. It's a matter of physics. I'm at a loss on this one. On second view it even looked like James may have rolled a little to his right upon landing as to not land squarely on him.

signed,

frustrated and confused.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
HAWK
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12888

I'll be looking forward to the the NFL says about this week's game. Several of these calls need some explaining.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
California-Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11917

"No one is bigger than the game". Rollerball quote from the original movie. Check out the movie. One of my favorites for its time. Harrison..Harrison..
Old 11-22-2010, 01:24 AM   #5
fred
Water Boy

Member Number: 7127

Totally unfair ......... all these personal foul penalties! "Pulling a player from the pile"?! was one of the penalties.........................what the h---- is that?! And how many times have you seen the "other" players
tackle "helmet first" and nothing is called! @ least be fair and consistant to BOTH teams.......
fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #6
vindrow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13150
My Mood: Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
I'll be looking forward to the the NFL says about this week's game. Several of these calls need some explaining.
Come on now, do you actually think Godell will actually explain anything....even if he did it would just be confusing like what a legal tackle is.
vindrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:14 AM   #7
CaliStillersFan
Starter

Member Number: 11604

I think the NFL is retaliating against the Steelers because Troy and James spoke out publicly against Fuhrer Goodell and insane enforcement of the rules. The players aren't going to win a pissing match with the league, this is something that needs to be addressed during next years CBA negotiations.

I have to give the defensive players credit, instead of getting frustrated and blowing the game, they focused their frustrations on Oakland, I hope to see more of that. It was good to see Lebeau keep the heat up for the entire game for once. Hopefully he remembers that when you have your foot on your enemies throat, you never take it off or they could come back to bite you.

Can someone from the NFL answer why a Pittsburgh native was officiating that Pgh/Miami game and now an Oakland native was officiating an Oakland game today? Something is going on with the NFL and their officials, I smell a huge scandal in the NFL's future.
CaliStillersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:39 AM   #8
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

The NFL has about as much credibility as the WWF IMO.

It won't be much longer before Goodeal runs all true football fans out of the park. It appears as though he's more interested in attracting the same demographics as an American Idol episode.......sad.

Born and raised in the Burgh...been watching since I was old enough to pay attention. At 51 I've just about had enough of this bullsh!t. Thanks for ruining the game I love.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:27 AM   #9
Goat27
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16471

I love the call on ryan clark, the helmet to back personal foul. the ref said it was helmet to helmet.
Goat27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:12 AM   #10
SouthTexasSteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 12193

The NFL is turning into just another pathetic social engineering program. SIX personal fouls called on the Steelers, 14 total penalties for a total of 163 yards. Are you serious?? Evidently, when you sack a QB with a form tackle and you land completely on top of him, it's a PF. Roger Goodell and his band of little monkeys with yellow flags have turned the NFL into a JOKE!!!

Next thing you know we'll start seeing counselors on the sidelines to counsel a QB that was sacked, or help a CB with low self-esteem because he just got burned for a touchdown. And maybe Uncle Rog might just throw in a whistleblower program so that distraught players can leave anonymous tips when their coach yells at them at halftime. I know, lets make sure that ALL football players are suited up with the latest bomb disposal suits with 4 levels of ballistic protection. They are only $17,000 dollars each but would provide the type of protection Uncle Rog would be proud of. All of this might just make the NFL a much more super de duper place to work. Flag football, here we come!!
SouthTexasSteel is offline   Reply With Quote