Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447
Default Hey Goodell, fine the Rooneys!

For the crappy field at Heinz Field. It'd be much more deserved than fining Harrison.
If the field gave us an (unfair) advantage, I could understand, but the Pats slaughtered us on it last week.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
CaliStillersFan
Starter

Member Number: 11604
Default Re: Hey Goodell, fine the Rooneys!

I second that. Heinz Field has been opened for 10 years and they still haven't gotten that field right. They need to build Pitt their own stadium and get them out of there and cut those high school games.
CaliStillersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

HEY ROONEY'S, FINE GOODELL!!
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliStillersFan View Post
I second that. Heinz Field has been opened for 10 years and they still haven't gotten that field right. They need to build Pitt their own stadium and get them out of there and cut those high school games.
No, Pitt and the HS games aren't the problem. Pitt played on the road last Saturday and the High School games are this coming weekend.
The Rooneys need to get rid of natural grass and install state of the art artificial turf. Pittsburgh ain't' Phoenix or Miami. The field's been a joke since day 1.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9669

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
No, Pitt and the HS games aren't the problem. Pitt played on the road last Saturday and the High School games are this coming weekend.
The Rooneys need to get rid of natural grass and install state of the art artificial turf. Pittsburgh ain't' Phoenix or Miami. The field's been a joke since day 1.
NO!!!! I hope that never happens. Natrual grass is always better than that artificial crap. Green Bay isn't Phoenix or Miami either, but seems to work fine there. The current field is actually a natural/artificial mix...I agree it needs to improve but I hope they don't ever go 100% artificial.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

I like the field...
Old 11-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

The field is an annual disaster - the only season in which I recall it was in decent shape after Halloween was in 2008 when an early cold winter apparently froze the field by mid-November- the low point was the Monday night game against Miami (in 2007?) when a punted football got stuck in the bog like a lawn dart

What amazes me is that even New England was ordered by Goodell to replace its rotten natural turf field while the Rooneys continue to get away with maintaining that joke of a field at Heinz

I guess it will take a career ending injury when a front line star such as Roethlisberger, Mendenhall, Timmons or Wallace tears up a knee on that cow pasture before the Rooneys quit being stubborn about ditching that field
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity1974 View Post
NO!!!! I hope that never happens. Natrual grass is always better than that artificial crap. Green Bay isn't Phoenix or Miami either, but seems to work fine there. The current field is actually a natural/artificial mix...I agree it needs to improve but I hope they don't ever go 100% artificial.
Works fine at Lambeau Field? Not proven yet and look what it takes.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgaze...eau-Field-turf

The Steelers have been working and spending $$$ on this friggin' field for 10 years and it's still not anywhere near where it should be. Like I said, if I least, it provided an advantage to the Steelers but our players don't have better footing than the visiting players and they're not less injured either. It'd be much better if it worked but obviously it doesn't.
What's even harder to understand is that the practice field on the South Side is 100% artificial (FieldTurf). WTF?
Yes the field at Heinz Field is a mix of natural/artificial but it seems to hold better in other places so I don't know what the problem is here. It's getting old.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
CargoJon
Starter

Member Number: 4796

I don't understand why high schools around here have state of the art field turf and the ketchup bottle has to have messy mud hole turf...
CargoJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Works fine at Lambeau Field? Not proven yet and look what it takes.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgaze...eau-Field-turf
That's pretty good research! Unfortunately, the grass growing season ends in early Oct and does not pick back up until mid to late March. So as you destroy the turf on the field (because you have several tons of beef banging against this grass), it will not naturally repair itself until spring time. The Steelers us a heating system under the field to help the process in the cold months, however, sunlight is probably more than 50% of the critical factors for plant growth. Unfortunately, the cold months are also the months that have the least amount of sunshine. The sun in the winter is oriented in the southern hemisphere and therefore, behind Mt. Washington for a few additional hours ... keeping the turf in good condition at Heinz field from mid to late football season is almost a mission impossible.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote