Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-23-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Harris: Ben, offense finally finding balance

Harris: Ben, offense finally finding balance
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_710543.html
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Call me confused.

Ben Roethlisberger is back. So why were the Steelers in their must-win mode against the Oakland Raiders?

The Steelers offense faced a crossroads in Roethlisberger's sixth game, which surprised me.

When Roethlisberger replaced Charlie Batch, we were told the offense would take off. That combining Ben with a historically strong defense would automatically make the Steelers a team to be feared. And that even if the defense slacked off, Roethlisberger's big-play ability would make the difference.

If Michael Vick can elevate the quarterback position in Philadelphia while also repairing his reputation, Roethlisberger can do the same with the Steelers.

So what gives with all the teeth-gnashing following last week's loss to New England? So what if Tom Brady picked the defense apart? The Steelers have their own Brady in Roethlisberger.

Working with a private quarterback coach during his four-game suspension, Roethlisberger left nothing to chance. He was focused, in the best shape of his career and ready to put the past behind him.

That's why I'm confused. Instead of the offense taking off under Roethlisberger, it was at a standstill before Sunday's impressive 35-3 blowout win at Heinz Field.

It was good to see. But why did it take so long?

It shouldn't have taken six weeks for the offense to dominate while finally blending the pass and run. And not so fast. Even after passing for 275 yards, rushing for 55 more and totaling four touchdowns with no interceptions against the Raiders, Roethlisberger said he wasn't impressed with the effort.

"It's funny, because if you ask me, I felt like we didn't have a good offensive performance," Roethlisberger said. "I felt that we were OK."

Uh-oh. Here we go again.

There's always something with this offense. Either injuries or penalties or flat-out confusion about whether the Steelers are a passing team or a running team.

Compared with the defense, the offense needs a hug from Dr. Phil.

Love it or hate it, you know what you're getting from Dick LeBeau's defense. They're going to play a 3-4, no matter what. They're going to stop the run first and take their chances against the pass. Even when they're missing injured starting defensive ends Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel, they can suck it up and limit Oakland to no touchdowns and 182 total yards.

The Steelers offense has a split personality. Running back Rashard Mendenhall was featured heavily through the first four games. As a result, Mendenhall responded with two 100-yard rushing performances and ranked among the league leaders.

The offense ran to set up the pass the way it did under former coach Bill Cowher. Everyone knew their role.

When Roethlisberger returned, roles changed.

Mendenhall's role was diminished. He hasn't rushed for 100 yards in the past six games.

Clearly, the offense is built around Roethlisberger. The Steelers aren't paying him all that money to hand off to Mendenhall.

Sunday's game was a good start. It was an opportunity to fulfill the lofty expectations set for Roethlisberger -- something to build on for the remainder of the season.

Roethlisberger said last week that he and veteran wide receiver Hines Ward decided to become more vocal leaders. That surprised me. I naively assumed that Roethlisberger's two Super Bowl victories and $102 million contract validated his leadership status. Even though he wasn't voted a team captain this season, money talks.

Mike Tomlin was quick to discuss Roethlisberger's leadership role for one of the few times in his coaching tenure following the Oakland win. Roethlisberger seconded Tomlin's words.

"That's what we need from guys that have been here before," Roethlisberger said about becoming a more vocal leader. "When guys do that, you see the younger guys start to go with it."

The Steelers don't have their full complement of offensive linemen, so that probably means Roethlisberger will have to watch his back when dropping back to pass. He displayed his full arsenal of accurate throws and timely scrambles against the Raiders. It was good to see. The Steelers will need to see even more from their franchise quarterback to be all they can be.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,044 Times in 3,059 Posts
Default Re: Harris: Ben, offense finally finding balance

Quote:
That's why I'm confused. Instead of the offense taking off under Roethlisberger, it was at a standstill before Sunday's impressive 35-3 blowout win at Heinz Field.

It was good to see. But why did it take so long?
john harris is a writer/(reporter?) for 1 of the 2 most popular fishwaraps in pgh.

shouldnt he be asking the coaches this question (and reporting the answers), instead of the fans?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

The only question that should be asked right now is can BA call the same plays the next 10 weeks and not screw things up?
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

The Patriots are not Oakland...

The Patriots are perennial post season contenders like it or not. Oakland was exposed for what they really are a mediocre team in a mediocre division.

The Steelers should be thrashing teams like Oakland just like they did on a weekly basis. Instead its down to the wire games against crap teams. Struggling offense against horrible defenses.

I love them but they just continue to have zero identity or consistent game plan. Brady and Billichek ate them alive. I hope that the coaching staff took notes at that schooling.