Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
drucifer
Draft Prospect
 
drucifer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: KY USA
Posts: 70
Gender: Male
Member Number: 9518
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Mike Tolbert

Is he Bettis Jr., or what??
drucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
lionslicer
Team President
 
lionslicer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,371
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12850
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Mike Tolbert

There's a Bettis Jr. on the Steelers practice squad named Frank Summers, but god forbid they actually have a FB on their roster.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
ricardisimo
Administrator
 
ricardisimo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lalaland
Posts: 5,420
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15369
Thanks: 312
Thanked 859 Times in 411 Posts
Default Re: Mike Tolbert

Sorry, but Summers is no Bettis Jr. He has a cool, vehicularly-based nickname, and that's where the similarities end. I have one as well, for whatever it's worth.
- Ric "Segway" Isimo
__________________
Why does God hate amputees?
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
lionslicer
Team President
 
lionslicer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,371
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12850
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Mike Tolbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Sorry, but Summers is no Bettis Jr. He has a cool, vehicularly-based nickname, and that's where the similarities end. I have one as well, for whatever it's worth.
- Ric "Segway" Isimo
Did you even watch any thing on him? He pretty much resembled what Bettis looked like in college.

regardless, fullbacks are bruising runners, they are 240+ pounds on low to the ground frames and are usually stronger than offensive linemen. The reason they don't get the ball much is because they have a tendency to break their necks, it's rare to find a fullback that can run without tweeking his neck in a game yet alone get 20 plus carries. Atleast in modern day football. Obviously Jim Brown, Franko Harris and many 70's and earlier fullbacks ran it a lot, but they also only carried around 220 pound bodies and were about 6'2 or bigger so they weren't so compact. Bettis was lucky to even get the chance to play running back, but he also had good genes, out of 13 seasons in the NFL, I don't remember him ever having a neck injury nor complaining about neck pain.

Summer could be a great short yardage back, but we'll probably release him, and he'll go off and have really good seasons with other teams.

Last edited by lionslicer; 11-23-2010 at 08:25 PM.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
cloppbeast
Team Captain
 
cloppbeast's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Waynesboro
Posts: 868
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Mike Tolbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Did you even watch any thing on him? He pretty much resembled what Bettis looked like in college.
I love when people say this. As if two people can't watch the same thing and form two different opinions.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
lionslicer
Team President
 
lionslicer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,371
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12850
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Mike Tolbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
I love when people say this. As if two people can't watch the same thing and form two different opinions.
Didn't really mean to impose anything, but if you litterally look at summer's highlights and then bettis's highlights you'll litterally see the exact same type of runs... but I'm somewhat crazy.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
ricardisimo
Administrator
 
ricardisimo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lalaland
Posts: 5,420
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15369
Thanks: 312
Thanked 859 Times in 411 Posts
Default Re: Mike Tolbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Summer could be a great short yardage back, but we'll probably release him, and he'll go off and have really good seasons with other teams.
Or he won't do anything of consequence with any team. I'd love to think that all of our draft picks will always pan out, but quite honestly, Summers looks like a bust.

Exactly where did you get this neck injury theory? I'm sorry to say it, but at this point in your Steelersfever career, pretty much anything that you say with that degree of authority sets off my BS detector. That, and I can't think of more than one or two fullbacks with a history of neck problems.
__________________
Why does God hate amputees?
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #8
lionslicer
Team President
 
lionslicer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,371
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12850
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Mike Tolbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Or he won't do anything of consequence with any team. I'd love to think that all of our draft picks will always pan out, but quite honestly, Summers looks like a bust.

Exactly where did you get this neck injury theory? I'm sorry to say it, but at this point in your Steelersfever career, pretty much anything that you say with that degree of authority sets off my BS detector. That, and I can't think of more than one or two fullbacks with a history of neck problems.
I actually got it from interviews i've seen with numerous big backs like mike alstott, mack strong. If you look through college injuries you can find a lot of fullbacks/powerbacks with neck injuries.
It's even documented in the book Sports Injuries that fullbacks tend to suffer from neck injuries.

Full backs in general are big guys, they aren't going to make moves, they run straight a head, and if you had common sense you'd know you don't just run straight up into the face of 300 pound linemen and into the arms of a 250 pound middle linebacker, you'll put your head down and hope for the best.

And it's not just fullbacks, its big backs like Bettis, but in general bigger backs are usually full backs or started out as full backs like Peyton Hillis who already has complained about neck pain in the past with the Broncos.


I'm really tired of people questioning me, I'm not in a good mood, and then you come in like "your'e a ****ing lying sack of shit, no one can trust you"
You know, why don't you research something yourself, its called google.
Like if Bill Cowher were to tell you the same stuff you wouldn't question him, you'd say "well he's a professional, he knows" But he could be dead wrong and you'd never know. 90% of the people on the internet are full of shit, and if I have to write a wall of text just to prove a point, **** it I will.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:34 AM   #9
ricardisimo
Administrator
 
ricardisimo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lalaland
Posts: 5,420
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15369
Thanks: 312
Thanked 859 Times in 411 Posts
Default Re: Mike Tolbert



I'm sorry you're not in a good mood. For the record, I don't believe a word that comes out of anyone... period. That certainly includes Bill Cowher. ( ) It's just the anarchist in me.

That being said, your record here is kind of spotty when it comes to researching your claims. Maybe it's mean of me to point that out, and maybe I could simply ask you "Why do you say that?" and leave it at that. Maybe.

I certainly never called you a "lying sack of shit", and I doubt that anyone else here has. If you're bothered by people "questioning" you, then I'm not really sure what to tell you... you need to stay off of internet message boards.

I can Google with the best of them, and sure enough Mack Strong and Mike Alstott pop up... and that's about it for full backs. From what I can tell glancing over the results, most of them get knee and lower back problems - which makes perfect sense when you think I about it. Peyton Hillis, by the way, has had recurring quad problems, and that's the long and the short of it.
__________________
Why does God hate amputees?
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
lionslicer
Team President
 
lionslicer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,371
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12850
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Mike Tolbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post


I'm sorry you're not in a good mood. For the record, I don't believe a word that comes out of anyone... period. That certainly includes Bill Cowher. ( ) It's just the anarchist in me.

That being said, your record here is kind of spotty when it comes to researching your claims. Maybe it's mean of me to point that out, and maybe I could simply ask you "Why do you say that?" and leave it at that. Maybe.

I certainly never called you a "lying sack of shit", and I doubt that anyone else here has. If you're bothered by people "questioning" you, then I'm not really sure what to tell you... you need to stay off of internet message boards.

I can Google with the best of them, and sure enough Mack Strong and Mike Alstott pop up... and that's about it for full backs. From what I can tell glancing over the results, most of them get knee and lower back problems - which makes perfect sense when you think I about it. Peyton Hillis, by the way, has had recurring quad problems, and that's the long and the short of it.

You really have to look for something about his neck. I remember it happening either last year or the year before it, but I found it on some forum archive about fans talking about him not taking as many reps in a game because of reacurring neck pain for a couple weeks.
Like I'm not gonna take what I say back because in general its how they are and why some fullbacks can averave 4-5 yards a carry but only get the ball 10-40 times a season.
But really I'm speculating at the pro-level, in highschool my coaches talked about it a lot and actually had a fullback wear a neck pad and I know former players in college talk about it also. But its not like I can record our conversations and put it on the internet like as proof.
Maybe if I ever talk to someone who's played in the pro's i'll record the conversation, just for you.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts