Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-29-2006, 07:36 PM   #11
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580
Default Re: QB cannot be "forcibly" Hit Below Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by boLT fan
I think that one was his fault. I didn't really mean look down right away after you throw (like when Ben got hit, that has innoviodable) I mean like the Palmer one. He had already thrown and followed threw, yet he was still watching the ball fly when he got hit. He could've moved.
So this is another earnest question. If you were coaching a QB, would you say that the QB should follow the ball for a moment or two and then look around to see who is comming at him. Or should the QB immediately back peddle after the throw to move out of the bullseye?
Old 03-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #12
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

You said "Look down", and I took that literally.

If you mean look downfield, then, yeah, as a QB, I was taught to spin the ball down so that my forefinger, after releasing the ball clock wise, ended up facing my receiver, and down towards the ground.

I had to "Unlearn" my natural spin which was counter clock-wise.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #13
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
You said "Look down", and I took that literally.

If you mean look downfield, then, yeah, as a QB, I was taught to spin the ball down so that my forefinger, after releasing the ball clock wise, ended up facing my receiver, and down towards the ground.

I had to "Unlearn" my natural spin which was counter clock-wise.
I was commenting on the following quote, which seems to represent the view held by most Steeler fans:
Quote:
Here's a good way for all QB's to avoid injuries:

QUIT WATCHING THE F**KING BALL AND MOVE OUT OF THE WAY.

If you watch, just about every below hit could be avoided by the QB if he would actually look down after he throws.
So I am asking if QBs are trained to keep an eye on the ball once it is thrown or should they immediately take evasive actions for any potential hit? If they should get evasive, how are they supposed to do that?

BTW Suit, how the heck did you get in the habit of releasing the ball with a counter clockwise spin? (I am assuming you are right handed.) I am having trouble imaging how to do that.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:46 PM   #14
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
I was commenting on the following quote, which seems to represent the view held by most Steeler fans:

So I am asking if QBs are trained to keep an eye on the ball once it is thrown or should they immediately take evasive actions for any potential hit? If they should get evasive, how are they supposed to do that?

BTW Suit, how the heck did you get in the habit of releasing the ball with a counter clockwise spin? (I am assuming you are right handed.) I am having trouble imaging how to do that.
I just did what my QB coach told me to do, and it helped a lot.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:00 PM   #15
pucho58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1737

Quote:

If you watch, just about every below hit could be avoided by the QB if he would actually look down after he throws.
Good Point.
pucho58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #16
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:

Easier said than done, my friend. It's like a jump shot in basketball, you have to follow through...if you're so concerned with avoiding a defender, chances are your accuracy will be affected. The split second between the throw and the hit goes by a lot quicker when you're on the field. Hindsight's 20/20.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:13 PM   #17
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

Once the ball is away from your hand, you can't do ANYTHING to afect the outcome. That needs to be a conscious thing to train QBs to act on.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:52 PM   #18
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

When you do a jump shot in basketball though some players fade away so that whether they miss or make the shot they are ready to be on the other end of the court to do defense. It would seem that even if a QB was done with a throw (past approx 2 seconds for that follow through action) he could look around or possibly even back peddle slightly to get out of the way of the still moving line. This idea might sound dumb as hell and if it does don't mock me...but arguing that doing such a thing would only put the QB in more danger of trippin backwards over a person behind would falter because in most passin plays the QB is first in a pocket but in most cases by the time the ball is released the QB has faded back towards the back of the pocket and has no one behind him that could hit him....if he just back peddled a few steps that would put him out of range of being hit by another player...Dlinemen are smart enough to see whether the QB would still have the ball or not by that time. I don't know just a suggestion.

As far as all these dumb rules it just seems that the more they open the officiating to subjective calls the more chance of bad calls and bias influence on the game.

BuFu
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:44 AM   #19
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031

Well Hell lets just put in a rule that says you can't rush the QB....I've said this before no matter what they do to protect the QB's injuries are going to happen....lets just say for arguement sake the QB quickly looks away from the ball after he throws it...where does he go or look first for someone? to the right? what if someone is coming from the left....to the left? what if someone is coming from the right? Why doesn't every team hire a QB spotter like in Nascar and he can yell through the helmet radio "clear left" "clear right"

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:24 AM   #20
hmmmmmmmm
Banned

Member Number: 679

I can understand this rule cause QBs are the most vulnerable and losing a QB will end your season. They gotta loosen up on all the other roughing the passer crap though.....cause I cant understand bein flagged 15 yards for tapping a QB in the helmet with your hand or barely touching them after a throw and they fall.
hmmmmmmmm is offline   Reply With Quote