Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Tailgate Party

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
TailgateMel
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8498
Default Just a small gripe (for those looking for a tailgate)

I guess I should have expected this to happen sometime, and I guess that I should have known... but....

I have extended (and Dom routinely does, way more than me) an invite to my tailgate for various Steelers games on here.. I see the posts quite often..

"I am coming in from xxxx with some friends.. can I join in a tailgate"

Usually this ends pretty well, it ended especially well for the Browns game with several folks from out of state coming by my tailgate, fitting in, and chipping in for food/beer.. whatnot.

Unfortunetly, for the Patriots game, there was a guy on here that said he would trade a parking pass (it was in the Green 6 lot or something way far away from where I tailgate) to come to a tailgate for free.... okay, well.. usually I just ask people to chip in for the tailgate, but a parking pass in exchange would be okay anyways.. even though I didn't know if it I would be able to sell it.

So.. we exchanged PM's.. I gave him my email, cell #.. everything was fine, he even had his g/f friend me on facebook so that they were clear on where the tailgate would be.. who to look for etc.... at that point, I figured that I would use the parking pass to possibly barter with scalpers to get some $ off tickets to the game (which I didn't have).

The guy calls me on my cell the day before to confirm.... texts me that morning... asks me to pick him up some club soda at the store (which I do). We get to the tailgate.... I text him and let him know where we are at.

He and his friends never show.

What I am guessing is that they met someone at the hotel or along the way and went there.. so.. whatever.. cool... but I had figured him and his friends (there were 4 of them) in for food, and I had figrued I'd be getting that pass... he never texted or called me the whole time either.

And BELIEVE ME.. my tailgates are NOT a money making venture... my friends always look at me funny when I introduce them to someone at my tailgate who I said "I know them from the internet - Steelersfever"... but, I've met a few cool people.. and that is great.

So.. that is my story, and why I won't make any extra effort any longer for internet forum fans.... I guess I should have not got so involved, and just should have figured they wouldn't have showed.. and it wasn't like I was *really* out anything (I had so much food it was sickening)... but it just really dug under my skin some... and it took me weeks to finally post something.

It was their crappy luck though.. I later saw his g/f posted on facebook prior to the game "tailgating in the rain".... my tailgate was nice & dry undercover with a nice toasty burn barrell

So.. bottom line... I'll be in Blue 7g with the Steelers Fan Van for the last 3 home games.. if I see ya.. cool.. stop by and say hi.. if I have extra food and beer.. and you can chip in for it.. cool. We always have a good time, so does Dom, he has a kickarse tailgate too, minus a van + a cool shot board....

Mel

100% Certified Grade-A SteelerChick
TailgateMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
ranger295
Water Boy

Member Number: 14737
Default Re: Just a small gripe (for those looking for a tailgate)

Sorry to hear about your story. My wife and I were lucky enough to join Dom and others at their tailgate last year. It was a great time, and I realize that they don't have to put an invite out there.

I guess I want to put a thank you out there for people like you and Dom that open their tailgates to people they don't know. I hate that that happened to you. We will be out there for the Cincy game, and as always we are looking for a fun tailgate.

For those of us that are looking for tailgates lets follow through with what we set up with those offering their tailgates to us. I personally am an Eagles fan and I attend several Eagles games a year, so I get to enjoy Eagles tailgates and fans several hours before the games, so it isn't a big deal for me. My wife however is a Steelers fan, and I like to give her the chance to enjoy a Steelers tailgate with Steelers fans. We were in Buffalo last week, and were lucky enough to tailgate Buffalo style with family.

If people continue to do things like this those of us from out of town will not be able to enjoy a tailgate the way we do now.

Thanks
ranger295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

I don't think you should completely give up on allowing people to join in on your tailgate from the forums, cause it sounds like it was just one bad experience out of a lot of good ones. Just maybe in the future, if you're dealing with someone you've never dealt with before tell them that if they want to join in to bring their own food (or drink, whatever) instead of relying on them to show up with money or a barter item for what you've already paid for.

Sorry you had a bad experience...sounds like you have a lot of fun more often than not though!

I particularly like the karma at the end of your story though. Sucks to be them stuck in the rain!

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
TailgateMel
Starter
Supporter

Yea, I haven't completely given up.. see my quote:

Quote:
So.. bottom line... I'll be in Blue 7g with the Steelers Fan Van for the last 3 home games.. if I see ya.. cool.. stop by and say hi.. if I have extra food and beer.. and you can chip in for it.. cool. We always have a good time, so does Dom, he has a kickarse tailgate too, minus a van + a cool shot board....
I just
a) won't be going out of my way to text people or give people my cell or friend them on facebook or whatever, even if this means that they might have a tough time finding it

b) won't be relying on someone who says they are coming with "x" (insert drink/food/parking pass/other item) to actually show up with it.

c) won't be making any extra food / packing anything special for anyone that says they are coming and I'll just hope we will have enough if they do.

and, just so folks don't think I'm a total b*tch... (though boy, I am coming off as one.. lol)... this isn't the first time someone didn't show up.. it isn't the *not showing up* part..

it was all the extra parts, the parking pass I didn't get.. the extra phone calls I took, the extra texts, the facebook thing.. the getting the club soda thing...

I just really needed to vent..

Thanks for listening and maybe I'll see some of yinz down at the 7g sometime.... look for the fan van and the drunk *almost* 40 year old lady doing keg stands and giving out jello shots and black & gold leis.

Mel

Old 12-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

One bad apple spoils the bunch
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:58 AM   #6
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

I've gone to games for the last few years, and I always look for a banner or some identifier to find my internet friends (her at SF and the Steel City Mafia) and I can never find anyone. You say you have a "Steeler fan bus" but hey- I seen a hundred busses. LOL I got tickets to the Browns game at the end of the year (in Cleveland ugh) but I'd love to drive down to Heinz to meet some of yinz, maybe just to tailgate and eat. :)
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
TailgateMel
Starter
Supporter

Stu,

- I, nor Dom, get any money from SteelersFever.. We are no different than any other regular forum user. So going out and purchasing a banner would be something we would have to do on our own and pay for it... if someone wants to get this for me.. sure.. I'd put up a Steelers Fever Banner at my tailgates I have... but someone from SF would have to get it for me.

- I have a "Steelers Fan Van".... it says that right on the side and front of the Van.. I have even, in the past, put up a picture of it... I realize there are plenty of other vans in various lots (though I doubt hundreds...) but mine is the only one with "Steelers Fan Van" on the side.

- Dom and I always post which lot we will be in.. and the lots we are in, aren't very large....

Here is a picture of one of my tailgates from last year (when I was in red 7c) and you can see the "fan van" on the side of the van.

Now that you know.. maybe I'll see ya someday

Old 12-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,048 Times in 418 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

alright, who was it.........
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
nicenaughty29
Water Boy

Member Number: 17413

I'm so sorry to hear of your experience. However, I'm glad you aren't letting it stop you from meeting other fans on here...because I'm new to the site and I will be at the Jets / Steelers game and would love to know SOMEONE there..ANYONE... LOL...

If you are still willing to welcome new friends (who will bring food / beer ) I will love to join! :) I promise you would love our company :)
nicenaughty29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
TailgateMel
Starter
Supporter

nicenaughty - sure, you are welcome to join in.. Either bring food/beer.. or simply chip in, usually like $10 a person.

I'll be in the Blue 7g lot, we are usually parked on the end right along Federal street across from the Mariott-Springhill Suites

http://www.alcoparking.com/images/No..._Map_LARGE.png

You should have seen the picture of my van earlier in this post..... it should be a big tailgate :)

Mel