Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447
Default Re: Terry Bradshaw: Top 10 QBs under 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-Still-Rules-14 View Post
He's 33. Anyways, Ben should be #1. He's one of only 2 guys on this list with a ring, let alone 2 of them. I would also make the case that Rivers has a lot more weapons. Ben has way better feet and more playmaking ability as well. Rivers is very mediocre (if even that) in the playoffs....58.5% completion, 8 TD, 9 INTs with a 3-4 starting record. Ben, on the other hand has 61.9% completion, 15 TD, 12 INTs with an 8-2 starting record.
Good thing Michael Vick just turned 30 otherwise he'd smoke them all. He's having a heck of a year, so far.
106.0 QB rating
13TDs - 1 INT - >63% completion
1941 yds in 8 games played
419 yds rushing - 5TDs

How could Ben have an 8-2 starting record when he missed 4 games? His starting record is 5-2.

As for his 2 rings, we won't hold his pathetic 22.6 QB rating during SB XL against him, ok? We'll just keep the good and forget the awful.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,749 Posts

Until Phillip Rivers makes some noise in the playoffs he will be Peyton Manning pre-2006 - throws a pretty pass but something always going wrong in January unless it involves playing the Colts - his performance against the Jets last season was a bust

I agree Rivers is a talent, as does Bill Cowher, who would have drafted Rivers iof given the chance in 2004. But this is not the BCS or Heisman Trophy balloting - all of these QBs are wealthy beyond their wildest dreams and are measured by how they perform in the post-season
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I'm fairly shocked he has Ben at 2, to be honest. And, seriously, yes, Ben won
two rings, but Marino never won a ring. I think just watching them play, I can
make an argument for Rivers. There is a lot more to winning a ring than JUST
the QB play alone - i.e. entire rest of the team, over all talent, intangibles, coach
staff, etc. An argument can be made that if Rivers didn't have garbage head
coach, he would have won some rings by now. It's been proven 1000 times over,
if you don't have a legit head coach, you can't win the big one. Norv is a good guy,
good OC, but has never appeared to be a legit head coach.
A great QB usually makes the HC rather than the other way around (e.g. - Shanahan never won boo without Elway and Belichick did not light it up in Cleveland without Brady). If Rivers is that great he shoudl be able to overcome Marty and Norv. Only multiple Lombardis winner who overcame mediocre QB talent was Joe Gibbs (Joe Theismann, Doug Williams, Mark Rypien).

As for being pulled down by what you have around you, hard to say Roethlisberger has benefited by having a great offensive line and the superior intellect of Bruce Arians dialing up the play calls.

Bottom line is this is not the 1970s when a QB such as Bradshaw played with 8 other Hall of Famers - every team has weaknesses these days - Chargers have been relatively loaded with talent since Rivers took the wheel
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

that's ok, i'll still take Ben over Rivers.

Yeah, Vick is not under 30 so he's not on there but whats up with him this year? Looks like the second coming of Joe Montana.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #15
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,878 Times in 1,122 Posts

I can't deny that. Philip Rivers is an absolute monster. Maybe Ben is being held back by Arians.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #16
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Good thing Michael Vick just turned 30 otherwise he'd smoke them all. He's having a heck of a year, so far.
106.0 QB rating
13TDs - 1 INT - >63% completion
1941 yds in 8 games played
419 yds rushing - 5TDs

How could Ben have an 8-2 starting record when he missed 4 games? His starting record is 5-2.

As for his 2 rings, we won't hold his pathetic 22.6 QB rating during SB XL against him, ok? We'll just keep the good and forget the awful.
He said that Ben's career record in the playoffs is 8-2 man not his record this year. Yeah he was awful in Super Bowl XL no doubt but he was great in the games leading up to it as he was in the games leading up to and including the last SUper Bowl win. I'll take Ben over Rivers for the playoff abiltiies alone.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #17
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

I'll take Ben over Rivers. Rivers is very good if not great but he hasn't shown anything in the playoffs. For that reason I can't list him ahead of Ben.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #18
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU Steeler View Post
He said that Ben's career record in the playoffs is 8-2 man not his record this year. Yeah he was awful in Super Bowl XL no doubt but he was great in the games leading up to it as he was in the games leading up to and including the last SUper Bowl win. I'll take Ben over Rivers for the playoff abiltiies alone.
Oh, I got it now. It's playoffs record, not season record.
I'm fine with Ben although I wouldn't mind less sacks. I'm essentially frustrated with what Arians asks him to do.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #19
Set-Man
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12795

If I am looking at overall skill and competence, then I would take Rodgers in a heartbeat. But as a fit to our team (ie: no offensive line), Ben is the best. I just wish he would learn to throw the football away once in a while.
Set-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #20
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Ben was lucky enough to be drafted by the Steelers and won 2 Super Bowls with them. Otherwise, he would probably be like 5th on this list.

I'm not saying the man's not good, he's just not the second best on this list. I'd put him behind Rivers, Rodgers, and Matty Ice at least.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote