Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448
Default wheres all the whiz lovers?

A lotta folks were claiming whisenhunt was the better coach, he got paid more when the cardinals gave him his extension, took a lesser team and crafted a team capable of getting to the superbowl. Lots of ppl were dissing the front office for going with tomlin after failing to make the playoffs last year. Well take a look at the cards. They are in a weak division and have essentially given up, absolutely no effort being given, team is just going through the motions. We are 8-3 w/o our star QB for 4 games, players playing hard 10 out of the 11 games played (pats being he exception) and they still play like a team out to earn respect. Which is what tomlin preaches. Thanks rooneys for picking the right guy
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: wheres all the whiz lovers?

This is actually a good discussion I'd like to see both sides on... I was happy to see some new blood from outside of the organization. A little shake-up isn't a bad thing from time to time.
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Do you really think Whiz would not have taken Cowhers Team and been succesful? Tomlin has been fine. The real challenge will be when Cowhers guys are gone and see how he does. This team will be completely different in the next 2 -3 years.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

I think the Steelers made a good choice with Tomlin, but I really liked Whiz, but IMO the man that deserves a hell of a lot more credit for our offense before Tomlin and the guy who should get most of the crdit with the Cards in '08 is Grimm. I would love to see him back here.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

I can't really say this is Cowher's team, remember this is the same team that went 2-6 after the superbowl victory and only went 6-2 after that because of the weak schedule. Tomlin came in and his work ethic with the team really got them in superbowl fasion again, his first year kind of hit a flat line because he practiced them too hard, but he lightened up a little and taught players to block on interception returns and bam you have a superbowl team in his 2nd year.
Add in all the new starters, the terrible OC, a lot of new coaches, a lot of new young players, Harrison who Cowher didn't see much potential other than a back up, its a new-ish team that I think Tomlin can have some credit for, good or bad.

I really don't know how Whiz would have done in Pittsburgh, I think the offense would be a lot better, but could he actually motivate players? He wasn't a sideline coach, he was usually in the booth, didn't have much interaction with players during the game. Could he have won a superbowl here? Probably, would it have been as soon as Tomlin did it? I doubt it.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15474

The Cards were left in a real tough spot when Kurt Warner retired and Boldin left town. I'm not at all convinced Whiz should be blamed for the Cards problems this year. Having said that, comparing Whiz to Tomlin at this point in their respective careers is apples to oranges. Whiz took the the reins of a fledgling organization while Tomlin took the reins of the best-run franchise in the NFL with a front office many teams would kill for. Not praising Whiz or bashing Tomlin but it is what it is.
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYoi View Post
The Cards were left in a real tough spot when Kurt Warner retired and Boldin left town. I'm not at all convinced Whiz should be blamed for the Cards problems this year. Having said that, comparing Whiz to Tomlin at this point in their respective careers is apples to oranges. Whiz took the the reins of a fledgling organization while Tomlin took the reins of the best-run franchise in the NFL with a front office many teams would kill for. Not praising Whiz or bashing Tomlin but it is what it is.
This
Old 12-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

Whiz lost his entire team in the offseason. Either by free agency or retirement and he was given Derek Anderson as a replacement. You could put Belicrap, Parcells and Cowher on that Cards team and it wouldnt make a difference.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYoi View Post
agree with this, but you can't deny that it appears his team has totally quit on him.
Even in our 5 game skid last year, the team never quit. Every one of those losses was a 1 score game and the team did rebound to win their last 3. The Cards look like they have just given up after a 3-2 start, they've lost 6 straight. If Whiz can get them to play for him the rest of the year then fine, but if they remain uncompetitive against below average teams like the 49ers then that reflects highly on the coach.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

how about comparing the draft classes of each coach? Their first drafts were in 2007. i am not too familiar with the Cardinals, but I see a lot of studs and some potential studs on the Steelers' side.

Cardinals -
http://www.databasefootball.com/draf...?tm=chc&lg=nfl

Steelers -
http://www.databasefootball.com/draf...?tm=PIT&lg=NFL
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote