Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: wheres all the whiz lovers?

Id love to see whizz back as our OC......he was less predictable than Arians.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15474

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
agree with this, but you can't deny that it appears his team has totally quit on him.
Even in our 5 game skid last year, the team never quit. Every one of those losses was a 1 score game and the team did rebound to win their last 3. The Cards look like they have just given up after a 3-2 start, they've lost 6 straight. If Whiz can get them to play for him the rest of the year then fine, but if they remain uncompetitive against below average teams like the 49ers then that reflects highly on the coach.
I hear you. As a player though, I'd be a lot quicker to quit on a team Quarterbacked by Derek Anderson who's laughing on the sidelines during the closing minutes of a loss than to quit on a team Quarterbacked by a 2-time Super Bowl champion. I think The Steelers had more of a chance with Big Ben, Hines and Santonio than the Cards do with Derek Anderson, Fitz and Breaston. Just my opinion though.
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

I think Tomlin has done a nice job taking an older team that wanted to see whiz or grimm get the job and in one year make enough impact to get them to buy into his system and win a super bowl. That's not an easy feat for any coach. Go ask Wade phillips about inheriting a good team from another coach (parcells) He had an owner who would go get whoever he wanted, a talented young D drafted by parcells, an overall solid team and still could barely get one playoff win out of them. The same could of happened to Tomlin imo, the same scenario that is happening around the league with teams quitting on their coaches...the bengals, cowboys, vikings, and now arizona have all quit. I feel bad for whiz because he is from an x's and o's standpoint a great coach. But like someone else said, maybe his interactions with the players is lacking and he has alienated himself. Who knows. But all phases of that club have given up on him.

We all know he wasn't well liked by Ben, maybe the same thing is happening with his players in zona. Whiz took a team that had several years worth of high draft picks, just no coaching to put it all together. He did what he could with what he had, and really warner was the only reason they were successful at all IMO. When he left so did arizona's chances of competing. The players know it, and now they are disinterested. He's going through the hard realities we had to live with during cowher...a team is only as good as it's QB. The days of trent dilfer riding a #1 defense to super bowl victory are OVER with the new rules in place. It's all about the QB now.
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #14
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,135 Times in 541 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Do you really think Whiz would not have taken Cowhers Team and been succesful? Tomlin has been fine. The real challenge will be when Cowhers guys are gone and see how he does. This team will be completely different in the next 2 -3 years.
Considering Tomlin is responsible for the likes of Timmons, Woodley, Wallace, Pouncey, and Mendenhall, and still has promising talent in Hood, Worilds, Sanders, and Brown, I wouldn't be too woried about Tomlin's decisions in stocking this team with talent once Cowher's guys have all left.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598

I'm indifferent. Liked both coaches, the only thing that sucked is we lost arguably the best O line coach the Steelers ever had in Russ Grimm. I'm still confident in Tomlin, and the fact that number seven will be coming home soon.

I also believe that Tomlin is a better motivator so....
BengalDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #16
NYC_Steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16763

To put it all in perspective, just think of what could've been if Ben had not been in that motorcycle accident. Alot of things would be different right now...
NYC_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #17
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Do you really think Whiz would not have taken Cowhers Team and been succesful? Tomlin has been fine. The real challenge will be when Cowhers guys are gone and see how he does. This team will be completely different in the next 2 -3 years.
One of the guys who was __NOT__ a Cowher guy is Ben. Cowher wanted
to draft an OT over Ben. Rooney over-ruled him and made them draft Ben.
I think many mistake that the players drafted in Cowher's era were
Cowher picks. As a matter of fact, the draft picks that did seem like they
were Cowher picks tended to not pan out. When Cowher bragged about
drafting players, they often sucked. I believe the good players drafted
in Cowher's era were usually not his choices. I remember Cowher talking
about how he liked the "look in the eyes" of Jeremy Staat. Nice call.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #18
urgle burgle
Starter

Member Number: 12834
My Mood: Confused

apples and oranges.

whiz took over a notoriously bad team, with shitty draft picks, and a hideously greedy and inept owner and did something with it.

tomlin took what we have, continued it, won a super bowl, and continues on.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #19
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYoi View Post
The Cards were left in a real tough spot when Kurt Warner retired and Boldin left town. I'm not at all convinced Whiz should be blamed for the Cards problems this year. Having said that, comparing Whiz to Tomlin at this point in their respective careers is apples to oranges. Whiz took the the reins of a fledgling organization while Tomlin took the reins of the best-run franchise in the NFL with a front office many teams would kill for. Not praising Whiz or bashing Tomlin but it is what it is.
Don't forget they lost Dansby also. But who cares, I grew up in Missouri and remember what a bunch of cheap bastards the Bidwells were. Used to get a lot of flack for being a Steelers fan, but like I always told my buddies The Road To The Super Bowl Goes Through Pittsburgh Not St. Louis.
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #20
urgle burgle
Starter

Member Number: 12834
My Mood: Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRick View Post
Don't forget they lost Dansby also. But who cares, I grew up in Missouri and remember what a bunch of cheap bastards the Bidwells were. Used to get a lot of flack for being a Steelers fan, but like I always told my buddies The Road To The Super Bowl Goes Through Pittsburgh Not St. Louis.

i lived in AZ for the 4 yrs. If someone mentioned the bidwells name they used to spit on the ground and cross themselves.