Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #21
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: wheres all the whiz lovers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Considering Tomlin is responsible for the likes of Timmons, Woodley, Wallace, Pouncey, and Mendenhall, and still has promising talent in Hood, Worilds, Sanders, and Brown, I wouldn't be too woried about Tomlin's decisions in stocking this team with talent once Cowher's guys have all left.
So in four years of coaching only two of his picks are starting on defense. So the defense is Cowhers players.

And the SuperBowl was won with Cowhers players...Pouncy..Mendy..Wallace..Brown and Sanders had no part in that...All Cowhers players.

I like Tomlin. I also think Whiz would have faired as well as Tomlin has.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #22
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

[QUOTE=thumper;873284]One of the guys who was __NOT__ a Cowher guy is Ben. Cowher wanted
to draft an OT over Ben. Rooney over-ruled him and made them draft Ben.
I think many mistake that the players drafted in Cowher's era were
Cowher picks. As a matter of fact, the draft picks that did seem like they
were Cowher picks tended to not pan out. When Cowher bragged about
drafting players, they often sucked. I believe the good players drafted
in Cowher's era were usually not his choices. I remember Cowher talking
about how he liked the "look in the eyes" of Jeremy Staat. Nice call.[/QUOTE

Cowher would have had atleast 2 more rings with BR7. He had many teams much better than the current team but no QB.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #23
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

I'm fine with Tomlin over Whisenhunt but Whiz was handicapped by having his QB retire, one of his best wideouts being traded, and Karlos Dansby leaving via FA. Now, I think Tomlin is the better coach. The thing that people who wanted Whisenhunt have to realize is that Whisenhunt wasn't going to wait around for a second interview. The Steelers hire their head coaches very carefully and take their time doing so since after all we've had 3 coaches since the merger. I'll give Whisenhunt credit for making hte Cardinals a respectable franchise but I think Tomlin also deserves credit for some of his draft picks as well: Timmons, Woodley, Wallace, Pouncey, and Mendenhall are just five prominent starters that come to mine. He hasn't been perfect but I think he was the right choice after Cowher stepped down.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #24
330steelerguy
Water Boy

Member Number: 17393
Thumbs up Re: wheres all the whiz lovers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
Id love to see whizz back as our OC......he was less predictable than Arians.
X2!!!
330steelerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #25
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
So in four years of coaching only two of his picks are starting on defense. So the defense is Cowhers players.

And the SuperBowl was won with Cowhers players...Pouncy..Mendy..Wallace..Brown and Sanders had no part in that...All Cowhers players.

I like Tomlin. I also think Whiz would have faired as well as Tomlin has.
All this talk about Cowher players, like someone else said players he drafted didn't pan out it was usually players suggested by the owner or gm, possibly even other coaches.

IN my opinion, I don't think that Cowher was that great of a player evaluator, other than linebackers. He was a great motivator and overrall headcoach, but lets face it, he surrounded himself with talented coaches.
When LeBeau left in 1996 the Steelers still had some success with his players but it wasn't long until they had 3 straight seasons without winning 10 games and making the playoffs. Marvin Lewis also left who was the linebackers coach of possibly one of the best linebacking corps in history.
But I guess it's all about the head coach and their coaching tree which Bill has a pretty solid one.

And I'm not in any way denying Whiz's talent as a head coach, just trying to put some consistancy on why Tomlin is a good head coach and not just someone who picked up a good team and ran with it.

Last edited by lionslicer; 12-02-2010 at 04:02 PM.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #26
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

The two situations are not comparable. I have little doubt that Whiz would have found plenty of success running the steelers as Tomlin has.....in fact I would bet we would have more wins with Whiz running the Steelers. Why? Because Arians wouldn't be our OC. Whiz would be calling the offensive plays. Our defense would still be the same. I highly doubt Whiz would have tolerated the total disaster that was our ST's unit for 3 years.

When it comes to picking talent, I guess I'm one of the few who actually believes our FO and scouting dept. have more to do with drafting players then our HC. So I don't think the drafts would have been any different. Maybe instead of taking 2 LB's in this years draft we take an OT in the 2nd round? who knows.

Whiz getting the Cardinals to the SB is 100X more impressive then Tomlin winning a SB. Tomlin had Cowhers players and Whiz's offense to get that ring. Whiz took over one of the worst teams in the NFL. Whiz still has some serious personnel issues but I would think he bought him self a few years with his early success in AZ. If Dick Lebeau leaves with Whiz to Arizona I have a feeling the tables would have been turned.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #27
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgle burgle View Post
i lived in AZ for the 4 yrs. If someone mentioned the bidwells name they used to spit on the ground and cross themselves.
They still do.

As far as wretched Turdnial birds I knew their collapse was coming the moment the Warner retired. Bozo Bidwell and his clan of clowns are some of the worst owners in football. They had years to make plans for Warner's retirement and they did nothing constructive. Bozo Bidwell is to damn cheap to spend the money to keep quality players. They are still millions under the salary cap.

It's also apparent that the team has quit on Whiz. He's lost them and I believe it's only a matter of time before Bozo Bidwell fires him.

Here is a solution , Bozo Bidwell fires Whiz, the Rooney's fire Arians, we hire Whiz back as OC and Bozo Bidwell can hire Arians as head coach. Watching Arians as coach of the Turdnial birds would almost make up for that game in Clown town when he went pass happy. Works for me.

Poor Whiz you can see it in his face that he has now realized that Arizona is where coaches come to die.

Actually it's been high comedy watching the Turdnial birds collapse. Here is what was posted on the Arizona Republic live chat game day blog during the last game.

The AZ State Police are cracking down on speeders in Phoenix.

For the first offense, they give you 2 Cardinal tickets.
If you get stopped a second time, they make you use them.

Q. What's the difference between the Cardinals and a dollar bill?
A. You can still get four quarters out of a dollar bill

Q. How many cardinals does it take to win a Super Bowl?
A. Nobody knows

Q. What do the Cardinals and Billy Graham have in common?
A. They both can make 70,000 people stand up and yell "Oh My God".

Q. What do the Cardinals and a possum have in common?
A. Both play dead at home and get killed on the road
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #28
Hayeksheroes
Banned

Member Number: 15387

If Dick Lebeau retired, where would Tomlin be?
Hayeksheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #29
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayeksheroes View Post
If Dick Lebeau retired, where would Tomlin be?
He would pry Casey Bradley away from the Seahawks
Old 12-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #30
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
He would pry Casey Bradley away from the Seahawks
Or Tom Bradley from PSU's staff.
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote