Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15474
Default Hines Ward Rant

Hines went on a rant today on the South Side. He'll definitely get some kind of fine but what he said is 100% correct and I applaud him for speaking his mind. Here are some of the talking poings he hit:

1) The NFL doesn't care about the safety of it's players. An 18-game season wouldn't be a consideration if they did. Good example is DeSean Jackson using a helmet brand other than a Riddell because it's safer but the NFL made him remove the label since Riddell pays them to use/promote their product.

2) The NFL is run by hypocrites. They frown upon gambling but there are betting lines. They frown upon drinking but their main sponsors are beer companies.

I apologize for not having the transcript but I couldn't find it online yet. Please post a link if you find it before I do. Hines is 100% correct in everything he said and I'd love to see more players speak their mind instead of delivering one-line cliches that fall within the mold of what the NFL wants them to say.
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: Hines Ward Rant

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_711761.html
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

I get nervous when I see stuff like this. I agree with Hines, but if the NFL wants to get us they can and will. All it takes is a holding call on a 3rd and 3 during a big drive that turn it into a 3rd and 13 and eventual punt instead of points. If they do that once or twice a game it will hardly be noticed. It may not cost you every game if you can over come it, but it will cost you one sooner or later. They are out to get us right now, don't give them even more reason.
steelerchad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

Hines - major sponsor now is Bud Light rather than the Silver Bullet

The hypocrisy on the betting is hysterical - Hank Goldberg gives his picks on ESPN at 10:45 on Sunday morning becuase gambling cannot be discussed on the pregame show starting at 11.

Everyone knows gambling drives the ratings - I recall a blowout Monday night game where Al Michaels said at some point after midniight during the 4th quarter "for those of you still watching good luck with your over/under bets." That of course was why I was still watching.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Thanked 1,103 Times in 462 Posts

I get so so so worried sometimes that the Steelers will miraculously find a way into the Super Bowl and then with the Black and Gold up late, the flags start flying.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

Everyone who's not a Steeler fan hates the Steelers! Other teams want to be like us, other fans wish their team was like us, the league wishes they could contain us and make us more to their liking...offense orientated...All we have to do is win 3 or 4 straight SB titles...The NFL would probably close down. Tell me I'm wrong Lord Goodell?
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,265 Times in 620 Posts

F***ing A man....F***ing A!!

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I love that Hines said this because NOBODY ELSE REALLY is! Tomlin is taking some weird angle about the fine money and finally a Steeler is calling it what it is. I'm glad that some of the national media seem to be seeing it as well but c'mon man! These flags, not fines by the way, are ridiculous. Bottom line: guy makes enough money to pay the fines but the yards will cost us a game. Just my opinion.

Hines is completely right by the way. These players are commodities to the NFL, plain and simplea nd it is all about the money. The 18 game schedule and the fact that they can't wear the safest possible helmets prove it. They are only concerned with the lawsuits that NOT focusing on the issue now will certainly follow.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

Lengthier article here from ESPN.com - some excerpts - Steelers definitely are in "us against the world" mode

The league doesn't care about us anyway," said Ward, a 13-year veteran and the leading receiver in Steelers history. "They don't care about the safety of the game. If the league was so concerned about the safety, why are you adding two more games on? You talk about you don't want players to drink ... and all you see is beer commercials. You don't want us to gamble, but then there are [NFL-endorsed lottery scratch-off games]."...

"It almost seems like the more flags we throw, the more fines we dish out, we can say we're protecting the game," safety Ryan Clark said, reflecting his opinion of the league's stance. "Now, we can have 18 games because look how we're protecting [the players]."...

Ward also predicted a team will lose a game -- possibly in the playoffs -- because an official makes an incorrect call out of fear of being disciplined by the league for not adhering to its new policy.

"It's going to change the outcome; somebody's going to lose a game because of it," Ward said. "It's going to be a huge play in a playoff game, somebody's going to hit a quarterback or do something and the referee is going to be too scared to call it. So he's going to call it anyway so he can save his tail. [The player] may not even get fined or not, but it will come down to the outcome of a ballgame.

Ward's comments reflect the growing anger among the players on one of the NFL's showcase franchises. The Steelers are becoming increasingly upset over the near-weekly fines levied Harrison, a perceived lack of protection for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and hits that are fined and penalized one week, but aren't subject to any penalty a week later....

Steelers linebacker James Farrior said the league has quickly become "the wild, wild west. We're on our own right now. There's no type of [predictable] regulation going on."

Farrior also said NFLPA chief DeMaurice Smith hasn't properly supported NFL players on the issue.

Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs took the unusual stance of agreeing with the rival Steelers during a conference call with Pittsburgh reporters.

"The league has their favorites," Suggs said Wednesday. "One being in Indy [Manning] and one being with that team up north [Brady]. Besides those two, everybody is fair game. Like I always said, [the Bengals'] Carson Palmer got his knee hurt in 2005, but there was no rule made. Then Tom Brady got hit in the knee and all of a sudden there is rule and possible suspensions, excessive fines. It's just getting ridiculous."

Roethlisberger, asked about Suggs' co
mments, said, "He seems to know some things about the game of football."
]

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5871501

Wow!
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
bobby jr
Banned

Member Number: 15696

He should be suspended. This rant shows disrespect for the league officials and is almost slanderous. One should show a certain amount of decorum and respect for their employer.
bobby jr is offline   Reply With Quote