Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483
Default Re: Starkey: Anti-Steelers conspiracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayeksheroes View Post
NY Jets Superbowl win. I really think the NFL tries to influence who wins the title each year. They don't pick winners and losers. But I think they do try to get a handful of teams to win that will drive more revenue to the league.

The Saints win last year was a huge revenue boost because of the players like Brees and New Orleans story.

The Jets are a big market team with a new stadium being built and will host the superbowl in 2014. The NFL needs to boost the NY market. There is nothing better than a SB.
I like your angel..

What better way to neutralize two AFC North teams then to take away "hard hitting".
Without having a clean cut definition of the rule it allows officails to pull a flag at any point of the game.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayeksheroes View Post
NY Jets Superbowl win. I really think the NFL tries to influence who wins the title each year. They don't pick winners and losers. But I think they do try to get a handful of teams to win that will drive more revenue to the league.

The Saints win last year was a huge revenue boost because of the players like Brees and New Orleans story.

The Jets are a big market team with a new stadium being built and will host the superbowl in 2014. The NFL needs to boost the NY market. There is nothing better than a SB.
Very true! Remember how one of the NFL's golden boys and his team rolled over for the Jets last year. No way they should have made the playoffs.
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,298 Times in 506 Posts

What can the NFL gain from all these fines?

Well I'll tell you. It all comes down to the 18 game season. They are trying to promote safety and trying to validate their 18 game season to prove to skeptics that they are promoting safety and an 18 game season wouldn't be all that bad. So they go after the most physical team in the NFL. Sure Harrison does have a lot of borderline hits so the refs are trained to do that. If you're unsure then throw the flag. It all just comes down to money, not the game itself.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #14
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

actually i've seen the Jets get screwed on hitting calls a number of times. so i don't buy the NFL helping the Jets. they are trying to take the defensive-minded, physical teams out of it.. the NFL wants to do nothing but increase offense. over the past decade all they've done is create rules to increase offense.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
actually i've seen the Jets get screwed on hitting calls a number of times. so i don't buy the NFL helping the Jets. they are trying to take the defensive-minded, physical teams out of it.. the NFL wants to do nothing but increase offense. over the past decade all they've done is create rules to increase offense.
Actually ever since the 70's. You can watch Mel Blount complain how the NFL wants to get rid of the Steeler's unprecedented defense.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #16
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Until the NFL wants to look at the spearing and head first shots offensive players give out then they are what Hines has said HYPOCRITICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #17
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
Actually ever since the 70's. You can watch Mel Blount complain how the NFL wants to get rid of the Steeler's unprecedented defense.
true.. but this decade especially the rules have spiraled out of control against defenses.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #18
Pala_Maul_U
Water Boy

Member Number: 17409

How is it that every single week we get bad call by the refs. Also Harrison is fined all the time for hits that aren't even that bad, but yet there is an all out brawl in the middle of the field after a play and basically they got a slap on the wrist. It doesn't make sense to me. Not to mention Harrison is held every single play!
Pala_Maul_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #19
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pala_Maul_U View Post
How is it that every single week we get bad call by the refs. Also Harrison is fined all the time for hits that aren't even that bad, but yet there is an all out brawl in the middle of the field after a play and basically they got a slap on the wrist. It doesn't make sense to me. Not to mention Harrison is held every single play!
Every single ****ing play, I mean seriously wtf. Sure he's a smaller guy, but really I think the refs can clearly see him getting held.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #20
shovelnose
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3241

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post

And F Goodell...you know you're a special kind of evil when you make Gary Bettman look like a half decent pro sports commissioner.
Amen! And I have basically stopped watching hockey since the lockout year. Take note Goodell. I may no longer watch football if there is a lockout. While the rest of us struggle to make ends meet, these people argue over millions.

I especially will not be watching flag football. But apparently Goodell thinks that's what the general population wants to watch. Let me know how that works out for you.

And Hines is spot on with the 18 game season and player safety. Which as a fan I wouldn't mind but as a player I would not. The good news is Harrison is playing against the Ravens so he may not be targeted as badly. Well one can hope.
shovelnose is offline   Reply With Quote