Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #21
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745
Default Re: Flacco on fines: Steelers’ Harrison is doing his job

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez09231 View Post
T-Sizzle

You got off easy this time, but don't let me catch you talking like that again.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #22
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post

You got off easy this time, but don't let me catch you talking like that again.
LMAO....
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #23
iceman000123
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13147

Truthfully I think the only fines Harrison truly deserved were the hits had landed in the Browns game. Those were pretty savage hits leading with the helmet. I'd like to know why the ref was pulling out his flag in the bills game before Harrison even made contact with the QB.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #24
bobby jr
Banned

Member Number: 15696

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
100% false in so many ways.

What does vicious head shots have to do with Harrison's fines anyway? The Massaquoi hit was the only one that was considered a "head shot". The other 3 are all on QBs and have zero to do with head shots.

You better take some people's (and Flacco's) words to heart here soon. Goodell is doing whatever he can to handicap defenses. There will never be a defense like the '00 Ravens or '08 Steelers ever again. It's unfortunate that you seem more concerned with taking shots at the Steelers and fans every chance you get rather than actually discuss what is going on in the league. Say bye bye to our legendary defenses.

Meanwhile, we can all go out to our local Best Buy or go online to the NFL shop and purchase any number of NFL registered videos like "Moment of Impact" or "NFL's Hardest Hits" that glorify vicious, injury causing hits. Go figure.
I disagree. Just take the man Goodell at his word until proven otherwise. The NFL does not want to handicap defenses to run up scores. They want to protect players.
There was a lot of bad publicity prior to this season (Front page SI article as I recall)
about concussions in football and the adverse long term affects of head injuries from vicious hits.

You can have a hard hitting and good defense without these attempts to damage or intimidate players by helmet shots to the head. I recall that vicious shot Willis MacGahee took in the AFC champiionship game a couple of years ago against the steelers. He was carted off the field. If that happened to day that would be a penalty and a fine and possibly a suspension for that hit against Willie, and well it should be.
bobby jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #25
iceman000123
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13147

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby jr View Post
I disagree. Just take the man Goodell at his word until proven otherwise. The NFL does not want to handicap defenses to run up scores. They want to protect players.
There was a lot of bad publicity prior to this season (Front page SI article as I recall)
about concussions in football and the adverse long term affects of head injuries from vicious hits.

You can have a hard hitting and good defense without these attempts to damage or intimidate players by helmet shots to the head. I recall that vicious shot Willis MacGahee took in the AFC champiionship game a couple of years ago against the steelers. He was carted off the field. If that happened to day that would be a penalty and a fine and possibly a suspension for that hit against Willie, and well it should be.
There's no problem fining for helmet to helmet hits. I'm fine with that and I think many people are also fine with that. However Harrison has only made helmet to helmet shots in the Browns game this year. He's being fine for what? Hitting hard. Maybe we should fine receivers for running to fast or quarterbacks for throwing to far. And after that, we have fights breaking out and players punching QB's in the face AFTER the play is over and they get the same fine as Harrison. So what their saying is a hard hit DURING the play equals a fight or punch AFTER the play.....
Old 12-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #26
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

It's funny, I'm starting to like the actual Ravens' players for having the class to come out and support their toughest rivals over this issue.

If only thier fans weren't such a bunch of douchebags...
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #27
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
I would take Goodell at his word if it seemed like he actually meant it. They want to protect certain players. High end QBs specifically. Their bread and butter. If they were really interested in protecting all players, they would hold off on extending the season by 2 games and make it mandatory to wear the safest gear.

If you watched the Bills game, then you know this play...where Ben is tackled and twisted up by 2 different Bills players. Be honest with yourself...really honest...if that were Brady or Manning, do you think something would be called on the field. Do you think there would only be a 25k fine for punching someone in the throat if that someone were Brady or Manning? The standards are far from equal in this league. And this has nothing to do with a conspiracy against the Steelers...because I don't think there is one. This has everything to do with the NFL being consistent, and it is not. Flacco and Suggs coming out and saying as much this week isn't the first time a Ravens player has publicly spoken about this either. I know Ray Lewis and others have as well.

No flag for this? It's just not consistent IMO.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh...sack-7-yd-loss

Quote:
I agree with you. There definitely needs to be protection against head shots. That's barely what we're dealing with here in this discussion though. Harrison has been fined for one head shot this year.

You've got to be a little realistic as well. Football is a fast game with a lot of guys trying to hit each other. Shits always going to happen, no matter what. I applaud some of their efforts to make it as safe as they possibly can, but I also want it consistent. I really won't believe they want to be consistent until I see some proof of it.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #28
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
I understand a 17 year old wouldn't remember a lot of football games.

But, I for one remember Suggs knocking Ben out of his cleets. As Steeler fans we've seen more games and are use to an agressive style. Know that I have an understanding where your coming from I don't take offense to your Dundalk ways. Most if not all the Raven fans I know would say the league is inconsistant and thought Ward was right when he spoke about the league.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #29
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,276 Times in 2,880 Posts

The backlash builds

New York Times columnist William Rhoden has a column up on this farce - excerpts below

The rash of fines for dangerous hits this season reflects the league’s conundrum as it attempts to make a violent game safer — without removing the violence. Increasingly, players who have remained silent and played the role of good soldiers are calling out the league for what they see as its hypocrisy. ...

Harrison has become the lightning rod for resistance. On Thursday, after being fined $25,000 for his hit on Buffalo Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, he said that he would not be moved. He told the Steelers’ Web site: “The way I play, there is nothing wrong with it. I am not playing dirty. I am not doing anything that is outside of the lines.”

Finally, a player making a stand
. ...

Harrison should not shed his intimidating style, and the Steelers should pay his fines.

And Rhoden nails this point

The league’s quandary is that this brand of violence is what makes the N.F.L. unique. Millions of fans embrace it. The N.F.L.’s games are the ultimate cathartic experience: large, fast people colliding with one another every 40 seconds. Removing the blood and guts from its product, the N.F.L. is opening the door for another sport, say soccer, to reign supreme in the United States someday soon.

Far-fetched? Who would have thought that boxing and horse racing, which once defined the American character, would one day be barely relevant to the sports landscape. Who would have thought in the 1950s that pro football would replace baseball in popularity

The N.F.L. can fine him all they want, but Harrison has become the symbol of the N.F.L.’s hard decisions going forward.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/04/sp...tml?ref=sports
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #30
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,951 Times in 3,010 Posts

i really wish some coherent HOF'ers, players like butkus, lott, bruce smith, would take a stand and speak up.

its gotta sicken them to see what is going on with a game i know they love as much as us fans.