Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-24-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Steelers Draft Review.......

By BB2W

1. Heath Miller TE Virginia 6'5" 260
Fantastic hands, he makes every catch and has the range to really help his quarterback out. Runs well and knows how to get open. A complete tight end, does everything you could ask of him, including block. Gets open between 10 and 20 yards downfield with ease. Plows over DBs trying to tackle him one-on-one. Great combination of size and speed for the TE position. Catches everything thrown near him. Great run blocker- sticks with his blocks and moves well to the second level to help spring a big run. The number 1 Tight-end in the country. 3 year statistics of nearly 140 receptions, 1600 yards and 20 TDs (all ACC records)Was nearly unstoppable against FSU this year with 9 catches for 110 yards.

2. Bryant McFadden CB Florida State 5'11" 195
An excellent athlete...Has good size...Has a lot of experience...Is a good tackler...Hasn't maxed out yet and seems to get better and improve with each passing season. Physically he has the tools to make it at the next level...Could be a surprise if a team can get him to play up to his potential. "He's a guy that plays a tough, physical game," Perry said. "He's the type of corner that we look for in the type of system that we play. He's going to cover, he's going to tackle and he plays with good technique. He's a sound football player."

3.Trai Essex OT/OG Northwestern 6'4" 325
A three-year starter for the Wildcats, Essex is very quick for an interior lineman. He moves and slides well and at times plays with a mean streak. The scouting report says Essex is a long-range prospect whose quickness and raw athletic ability makes his a intriguing player. Extremely quick feet...Has a burst when getting into his blocks in the running game...Could move inside to guard at the next level...Still has loads of upside.

4. Fred Gibson WR Georgia 6'4" 200
A big wide receiver with incredible break away speed. Excellent pure athletic ability...Tall with a lanky frame and long arms...Good ball skills...plays faster than he times...Explosive and a big play waiting to happen...has a lot of potential. Also played basketball for the Bulldogs...Has all the talent in the world...Could develop into a star at the next level. Wonderful athlete with awesome leaping ability. Very agile player has good hand eye coordination and balance. Solid hands and is an improving route runner as well. Good size at 6-4 196 and is a receiver that can go get the ball

5. Rian Wallace LB Temple 6'4" 245
This guy is crazy! Wallace played inside linebacker for the Owls and was all-Big East in 2004. But he also was suspended for their game against Pitt because he was involved in a fight in his own locker room. Has great size...Strong and tough...Has good speed and the quickness to make plays sideline-to-sideline...Has a fiery demeanor on the field...Very instinctive.. Motor never stops...A playmaker and very productive...Versatile and could project to either outside or middle linebacker at the next level. His nickname is "Goo"...Unheralded player who didn't get the attention he deserves because he played for a bad team his entire career...One of the best prospects Temple has produced in a long time.

6. Uikelotu "Chris" Kemoeatu OG Utah 6'4" 345
Kemoeatu is a good athlete with above-average quickness, agility and body control for a player his size. He played left offensive guard during his first two years before shifting to the right side. He has natural strength and mass and can simply decleat defenders that get in his way, using his size with great effectiveness to gain advantage. Kemoeatu is not a typical big man who will lean into a defender and occupy space. He comes off the snap at a good pad level and shows very good knee bend and hip flexibility, considering the frame he is carrying. This guy is a mean blocker, and has been accused of being a dirty player. He was ejected from two games (San Diego State, Nevada-Las Vegas), resulting in a one-game suspension and was ordered to seek anger management counseling from head coach Urban Meyer, which was endorsed by the Mountain West Conference office.

7a. Shaun Nua DE BYU 6'5" 275
Shaun Nua of BYU played extremely well at Defensive End. His speed pass rush made it difficult for the East QB?s to get into a rhythm with their receivers. Nua?s speed rush from the outside enabled the interior defensive lineman to get into passing lanes and cause problems for the offensive line. Nua also played Tight End where he showed NFL scouts his offensive capabilities. At 6?5 270, Nua playing at Tight End could be a definite asset to any NFL team.

7b. Noah Herron RB/FB Northwestern 5'11" 225
Good-sized ballcarrier with solid running intangibles. Keeps driving forward displaying strength in his lower body and a punishing runner between tackles who picks up yardage off initial contact. Works to finish runs and always giving top effort. Also patient, waits for blocks to develop and immediately finds the running lanes. Solid receiver out of the backfield, extending his hands to catch the ball away from his frame. Lacks speed and agility around the corner. Not an elusive runner who can immediately change direction or make defenders miss as a ballcarrier or pass catcher, Herron's ultimate NFL position could be at fullback. Has potential as a triple-threat player, yet must quickly improve all of his blocking skills as well as intensity.

BB2W's draft garde: B-
Old 04-24-2005, 06:23 PM   #2
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Default Re: Steelers Draft Review.......

I think C&C did pretty well, alot of players we targeted were taken just a few spots before us. Things could have turned out differently, but I am happy. They got who they could and addressed all the areas of concern.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Very nice review BigBen2Ward. I think they did well this draft. Sure there were other decisions or roads we could have taken, but we picked good players in areas we needed. I am very excited to see how all this guys will play out, but mostly Heath Miller, Fred Gibson, and Bryant McFadden. Heath Miller if used to his fullest ability should add something new to the offense. Fred Gibson will add a tall fast WR to the mix which we lost when Plax left. Bryant McFadden looks like a very aggresive cornerback who looks like he could bring a good bit to the table. Overall I'm very happy with this draft.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:08 PM   #4
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

BigBen2Ward

great job! I agree with the B- 1st two picks I have NO problem with. Then 3 maybe a little??? But I like 4 alot, the rest we`ll see
Old 04-24-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

The third pick was a little surprising to me. I guess I expected them to take a WR there.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:43 PM   #6
HinesWard4Life8682
Starter

Member Number: 323

i think they did great considering the 30th pick we did better than teams like the chiefs who had top 20 picks
Old 04-24-2005, 10:57 PM   #7
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

We were able to get a player who was rated the best at his postition with the 30th pick.
When you think about it there is only 12 players (minus K,P), that can say they are ranked #1. That is a steal at pick #30........

They usually rank NCAA players by general positions.
QB, RB, WR, TE, T, G, C, DE, DT, LB, S, CB
Old 04-25-2005, 12:47 AM   #8
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

The good:
1)Never really reached for a player. Never jumped the gun, never packaged up picks to move up, just took what was available
2)Addressed depth. Dallas was defense heavy. We spread it all around TE, CB, OL, WR, LB, OL, DL, FB. That helps.
3)IF those eight don't pan out at current position, most have some chance to move into other roles. Takle/guard DE or massive TE, etc. If you can play, we can find you a spot
Solid but not front page fantastic so I agree but say B+, just cause we were patient. I thought instead of getting two from Northwestern we should try to move and get Canty, but we just waited. Nice job C&C.
Other notes:
1)Trai Essex...gotta wonder about a third round pick that makes people look for bio sheets and pics and highlight video. Nothing big, but this pick caused some hicccups.
2)It wasnt Oshiomogho Atogwe, but Uikelotu Kemoeatu is another in fun gameday name for us as of late. No wonder Myron is getting tired. After Fu, Troy, Ben and now "Chris" our broadcast team is just hoping Cowher doesn't have a trick play where after a Int by Troy, Ben passes to eligible "Chris".
Old 04-25-2005, 05:31 AM   #9
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Essex might have been a reach, we could have waited at least one more round, I would think
Old 04-25-2005, 06:30 AM   #10
geran42o
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcitychef
The good:
1)Never really reached for a player. Never jumped the gun, never packaged up picks to move up, just took what was available
2)Addressed depth. Dallas was defense heavy. We spread it all around TE, CB, OL, WR, LB, OL, DL, FB. That helps.
3)IF those eight don't pan out at current position, most have some chance to move into other roles. Takle/guard DE or massive TE, etc. If you can play, we can find you a spot
Solid but not front page fantastic so I agree but say B+, just cause we were patient. I thought instead of getting two from Northwestern we should try to move and get Canty, but we just waited. Nice job C&C.
Other notes:
1)Trai Essex...gotta wonder about a third round pick that makes people look for bio sheets and pics and highlight video. Nothing big, but this pick caused some hicccups.
2)It wasnt Oshiomogho Atogwe, but Uikelotu Kemoeatu is another in fun gameday name for us as of late. No wonder Myron is getting tired. After Fu, Troy, Ben and now "Chris" our broadcast team is just hoping Cowher doesn't have a trick play where after a Int by Troy, Ben passes to eligible "Chris".
I agree with you here ICC. I graded it a little higher though, High B+ , A-. Overall I think we did pretty well considering that we didn't really need anyone, most are for depth(except for maybe Miller and McFadden)

geran42o is offline   Reply With Quote