Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 04-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #11
Ironman
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 320
Default Re: Steelers Draft Review.......

Northwestern offensive lineman Trai Essex flashes good initial pop on the field, but is sloppy. His technique is so bad that he's back problems waiting to happen. The only saving grace is that the Steelers have offensive line coach Russ Grimm to groom him. Essex graded as a late-round pick around the league.

Temple linebacker Rian Wallace is one of the worst point of attack players that I've ever evaluated on film through the years.

Brian DeLucia, OURLADS

I love this draft but hate the same two picks as this guy from Ourlads. I can deal with the throwaway 5th rounder, but the 3rd round on Essex stings.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:03 PM   #12
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Ironman is right, Essex I don`t know, I`m even wonderng about Fred Gibson, word is his hands suck, I mean you can teach a player alot of things but your hands are your hands, I`ve played enough football to know you can show him a few things but he`s played major college football, if he is having problems holding on, then I don`t know?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:44 PM   #13
HinesWard4Life8682
Starter

Member Number: 323

yeah the essex pick is a dumb pick

better available picks: Scott Young (OG), Elton Brown, Chris Komeoatu (we were still able to get him) and about 5 others.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:49 PM   #14
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

I am sure if you asked Grimm........He would have nothing but good thing to say about Essex. I value our coaches opinions more than Brian Delucia. However, in Rian Wallace's video, he does look ugly when he Tackles.........I was waiting for a big hit, but they were just sloppy arm tackles or trips.

As far as Fred Gibson........It is true, he does not have the best hands. It is not like he has stone hands........it is more like butterfingers. He has got good hands in the sense that he will make great catches, amazing achrobatic catches, one-handers. I think sometimes he loses focus, or hears footsteps, or maybe just chokes and drops the ball....... Unfortunately it has often been in big games or on a big play.

I can live with a reciever who does not have "Wardlike" hands. Plax did not have the best hands. Infact, you will see that Fred Gibson is more coordinated than Plax(Gibson played BB for Georgia)and is an all-around athelete, and probably has better hands than Plax. He had a higher vertical, and they ran the about the same in the 40 yard dash. Gibson was a little bit faster and is said to run much faster on the field than he times. All we need Gibson to do is "go deep" he will catch a few of those, and the rest of the time he will open it up for Ward underneath.

Last edited by BB2W; 04-25-2005 at 04:17 PM.
BB2W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:29 PM   #15
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

You`ll never hear me say that Plax had great hands, and he was a 1st rounder so I guess a 4th we will wait and see
Old 04-27-2005, 12:54 PM   #16
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Quotes from Gibson's coaches at Georgia

"They got a steal ... they stole him on the fourth round," Harrick said of the Steelers. "When they put him back to run kickoffs, there's no one better. And down the field, no one can stop him. He's similar to Randy Moss. He can run, he can jump and he can catch.

"He has a knack to adjust to the deep ball and accelerate to the deep ball," said John Eason, Gibson's receivers coach at Georgia. "Deep balls, balls over his head, balls to the outside shoulder, he'll track the ball. He has great hand-eye coordination."

"He was the quickest guy I ever coached, maybe tied with Tyus Edney," Harrick, the former Georgia basketball coach, said yesterday from his home in Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. "But Ty would have to take two steps to Fred's one."

"Fred probably could have played NBA basketball if he didn't opt to play football," Harrick said. "He's just spectacular at running and jumping. It's hard for me to believe there's a better athlete in the draft than Fred Gibson."

The Steelers selected Gibson (6 feet 4, 202 pounds) with the 131st overall pick because they were looking to increase their depth at wide receiver. But they also got a player who is similar in stature to Plaxico Burress, who left in free agency, though Burress is nearly 30 pounds heavier.

Gibson is faster, has a higher vertical, and is better at gaining yards after the catch than Burress.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:57 PM   #17
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Lets hold Harrick to that statement< we`ll tar and feather him if he is a flop. If he is right about Gibson, and Miller is healthy, look out, I`ll take Big Ben in the fantasy draft
Old 04-27-2005, 03:00 PM   #18
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

I saw this on NFL.com, thought it was great...
Cincinnati: ESPN commentators praised Bengals' first-round pick David Pollack for having a 36-inch vertical jump despite weighing 261 pounds. Yours truly is 52 years old, and let's just say carries a significant fraction of Pollack's weight; the other day I did a 31-inch vertical jump. Shouldn't an NFL first draft choice jump substantially higher than a 52-year-old columnist?
Yeah, I'm not worried about his hands, just as long as they are better than mine. Oh yeah, and if you catch it, don't drop it/spike it until after the whistle.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #19
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

NFL.COm

Pittsburgh Steelers
Best pick: Second-round pick Bryant McFadden will be a starter at some point this year. He is a talented cover player who will be perfect for the Steelers defense.

Questionable move: Once again, it's tough to find a questionable move by a good-drafting team. Some may think taking Heath Miller in the first is risky with him coming off a hernia injury, but he's a player.

Steal: Fred Gibson was considered a potential first-round pick a couple of years ago. Getting him in the fourth round is a nice move for the Steelers.

Overall grade: B They had a solid, uneventful draft. That's what the Steelers do. They know how to find players.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:52 AM   #20
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Gil Brandt the former vice president of player personnel for Dallas Cowboys really likes the Steelers draft.......

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_329090.html