Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,365 Times in 566 Posts
Default Perfect week for a different approach?

With our offensive woes and the issues we have on our line, and now.. at the QB position, could this be the perfect week for Arians (if he's smart enough) to tinker with the playbook and hit Baltimore with some things they could never see coming? Could this be our week that we see the Steelers pull a "Cleveland" and do what they did against the Saints and Patriots & hit them with trick play upon trick play to their advantage? Could this be the game we hit the Ravens with something they haven't seen, kind of like what the Dolphins did to the Patriots some years ago with the Wild-Cat?

I sure hope so. Looking at our history with this team and how each of us play the same kind of ball since our existence & judging by the problems we now face with not only matchups, but injuries, I hope we can gain some kind of an edge and change our priorities, only it's just for one game to SOMEHOW get out of Baltimore with a MUCH needed "W."

EVERY game is a big game in this league. This happens to be H-U-G-E.

Thoughts?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
DoctorCAD
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10385
Default Re: Perfect week for a different approach?

Nope, we will still see

Run directly into the center of the line for no gain
Run directly into the line for a 2 yard gain
Pass 5 yards
Punt

We all know it, every defense in the history of the NFL knows it and the Cub Scout flag football team knows it.

Ariens is incapable of change.
DoctorCAD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
iceman000123
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13147

I'll doubt we'll see change. Although I do think we need to get Heath Miller back into the offense. He used to be one of Ben's main targets and defense had to adjust to him opening up other receivers. But now.....Well You know...
Old 12-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman000123 View Post
I'll doubt we'll see change. Although I do think we need to get Heath Miller back into the offense. He used to be one of Ben's main targets and defense had to adjust to him opening up other receivers. But now.....Well You know...
I agree. Unfortunate thing is, is that Heath is too valuable and he is needed more-so for support right now VS option in the passing game. Our O-line is so banged up at the moment that Ben needs all the protection he needs and Heath is the man off the edge that gives us our best option at edge protection since he's a big body and a nice blocker as well.

Hopefully come playoff time (knock on wood) Heath will see more touches. If we can somehow manage to draw up a game-plan and give Ben time, then Heath will let loose. Until then, he will be used as a extra blocker in a scheme so desperate for protection of our quarterback.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
Nope, we will still see

Run directly into the center of the line for no gain
Run directly into the line for a 2 yard gain
Pass 5 yards
Punt

We all know it, every defense in the history of the NFL knows it and the Cub Scout flag football team knows it.

Ariens is incapable of change.
Not to defend Bruce Arians, but, he would get really confused reading NFL message boards.

For two years, Steelers fans balked at his pass-first offense, and how we never run the ball. And when we did run the ball, Arians "got cute" and would design overly elaborate running plays that inevitably get blown up in the backfield bfore they can launch.

Now, that we are trying to "pound the rock" and play Cowher-ball, everyone is bagging on him for running the ball up the gut on 1st downs.

I think Arians' situational playcalling is terrible, but seriously, some fans just can't be pleased, no matter what.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Not to defend Bruce Arians, but, he would get really confused reading NFL message boards.

For two years, Steelers fans balked at his pass-first offense, and how we never run the ball. And when we did run the ball, Arians "got cute" and would design overly elaborate running plays that inevitably get blown up in the backfield bfore they can launch.

Now, that we are trying to "pound the rock" and play Cowher-ball, everyone is bagging on him for running the ball up the gut on 1st downs.

I think Arians' situational playcalling is terrible, but seriously, some fans just can't be pleased, no matter what.
I can agree with this. It's not necc "running the ball more" or "passing on this down and running on this down" certain percentages (we've been VERY balanced this season) of field position and the flow of the game determine EVERY play call but I agree that it's more SITUATIONAL play calling than the play calling itself. Like a reverse play on your own 19 yard line on a short field or 3 straight running plays up the middle (when it got stuffed twice for negative yardage) with your fullback on the INCH line when you have possibly the biggest and strongest QB in the game to lunge forward.

He called a HELLUVA game against Oakland, probably the best I've seen since his tenure here. Lets hope he's on top of his game this Sunday Night (even though that's not saying too much.)
Old 12-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
iceman000123
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13147

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
I agree. Unfortunate thing is, is that Heath is too valuable and he is needed more-so for support right now VS option in the passing game. Our O-line is so banged up at the moment that Ben needs all the protection he needs and Heath is the man off the edge that gives us our best option at edge protection since he's a big body and a nice blocker as well.

Hopefully come playoff time (knock on wood) Heath will see more touches. If we can somehow manage to draw up a game-plan and give Ben time, then Heath will let loose. Until then, he will be used as a extra blocker in a scheme so desperate for protection of our quarterback.
Yea that is true. I can't believe how much damage our line has taken this year. I'm glad Ben is used to getting hit otherwise I'd a hella lot more worried. But we always find ways to win games which separates us from a lot of football teams out there. Like the bills, no offense to them they a highly competitive football team, but they tend to always find ways to lose. Which is why despite all the problems we might be having right now I like our chances this year.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

There's two sides of the coin to those "trick plays." If we fake a punt in our territory and it backfires it could prove to be detrimental. What did that Browns/Saints game and Dolphins/Pats game have in common? Both the Browns and Dolphins were heavy underdogs - they had nothing to lose by trying those trick plays. With Pitt/Baltimore games, it's pretty much a coin toss on who will win, so not that I'm against it, but I don't think there's a need to risk a trick-play backfiring.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
There's two sides of the coin to those "trick plays." If we fake a punt in our territory and it backfires it could prove to be detrimental. What did that Browns/Saints game and Dolphins/Pats game have in common? Both the Browns and Dolphins were heavy underdogs - they had nothing to lose by trying those trick plays. With Pitt/Baltimore games, it's pretty much a coin toss on who will win, so not that I'm against it, but I don't think there's a need to risk a trick-play backfiring.
Meh, I don't necc buy into the under-dog thing. The Pats saw the Browns take it to the World Champion Saints a week earlier so they knew they were capable.

The Steelers and Ravens have played the same style of game and have played it more than a decade now. It might not change, but since both teams play almost identical to one another, I think this is the perfect scenario to try it.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

I can't even remember the last time we faked a punt tbh