Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,365 Times in 566 Posts
Default Re: Perfect week for a different approach?

Quote:
I can't even remember the last time we faked a punt tbh
Exactly.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #12
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

I dont think the Steelers get to fancy with the ravens...Its usualy a smashmouth game. Heck, Steelers aint been fancy since the 05 playoff game against the Bunholes!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:33 AM   #13
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Not to defend Bruce Arians, but, he would get really confused reading NFL message boards.

For two years, Steelers fans balked at his pass-first offense, and how we never run the ball. And when we did run the ball, Arians "got cute" and would design overly elaborate running plays that inevitably get blown up in the backfield bfore they can launch.

Now, that we are trying to "pound the rock" and play Cowher-ball, everyone is bagging on him for running the ball up the gut on 1st downs.

I think Arians' situational playcalling is terrible, but seriously, some fans just can't be pleased, no matter what.
It's not running vs. passing. It's his how and why. If every game we played were in howling, freezing winds like last years' Cleveland debacle, he'd call 60 pass plays. No doubt. If, on the other hand, we're playing a team with a depleted secondary... pound the rock.

Arians is just so goddamn clever. Whatever a "normal" OC would do, he'll do the exact opposite. It's not enough to be predictably awful week-in and week-out. No, the piece de resistance is telegraphing most of your plays to the defense well ahead of time, running half or two-thirds of your plays without a back behind Ben ("Gee, I wonder what they're going to do?") He's gonna fake everyone out one of these days. You just wait and see. It'll be a doozy.

That said, I will temper this a bit by saying that I think he's a decent coach in terms of preparing the boys leading up to game time, and I think he's a mite better at play-calling this season than last. That's not really saying much, because he sucked donkey dicks last year.

This week presents a real conundrum for Bruce: Baltimore is equally good against the pass as it is against the run. How will he pick which one to screw up? That very confusion may be what saves the game.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:07 AM   #14
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

We definatly need to stop being so preditable against the Ravens. Hell that's why we lost to them 2 months ago. We had that game and all we needed was a 1st down to run the clock and we call 3 straight rushing plays when Baltimore has the box stacked. The Ravens even stated after the game that they knew all they had to do was stop the run 3 times and that would give Flacco a chance to put the game away.

Were just so predictable when we play Baltimore anymore. They know were going to start the game with 2 runs then a pass. We should start with a pitch to Randel el then let him air it out to Wallace. We also need slot of short to intermediate passes because Ben won't have more then 3 seconds before he's swarmed by Lewis and company.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #15
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Fake punts, trick plays etc are all well and good. Predictability has killed the offense more than anything and Arians has a hard time adjusting to other teams defenses. You have to set the "gimmick" plays up, with this team they just try them without setting the Defense up. Reverses, flea flickers and the cutesy Randle El reverse pass don't work unless the D is being over aggressive and biting on the fakes. Since the Cowher years teams expect that from us especially between the 40's, so they coach the players up to maintain the responsibilities. That makes it harder for the play to work and often turns into a loss.

That all being said, the RAVENS are not the team to get cute with, we have to line up and smash them in the mouth.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #16
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

The one thing that I would like to see most with our offense is some 3 step drops and get the ball out by Ben. I know that I havent seen it much but it works for other teams that have offensive line troubles. I really dont know that I have ever seen Ben drop back and get rid of the ball after 3 steps and when he has he is not very consistent with them. Its gonna be a rough game either way thats for sure.