Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default The Sky is Falling...

Relax, folks.

I can't believe some of the stuff I am reading from fellow Steelers fans around here. I hope the Steelers themselves don't come out on the field with the same "whipped dog" mentality that is prevalent around here this morning.

We aren't as bad off in the injury department as everyone is making it sound. Our major weakness on the Oline right now is unfortunately, Jonathan Scott at LT. He IS getting better though and will continue to as the season rolls on. Right now, Kemo is getting healthy (which is good for our run game), Pouncey is still chuggin, and Ramon Foster is taking the RG position, which was a huge improvement over the season starter, Trai Essex. The Hotel seems to have grown into his role as well. We found some guys we can run behind finally.

On our defensive line, we are expecting Kiesel Diesel back, and while I was critical of Ziggy Hood to start the season, he is starting to bring some consistency and descent run stoppage (no, not at Smith's level, but not many guys can manage that, but at least the big run plays have been taken away). He is also our best pass-rushing defensive end, and he opens things up for Woodley.

Folks keep fixating on the Bills game and the fact we only won by 3 points in overtime. Whoopee. Not many teams have flat-out crushed the Bills this season, and they are a lot better than their record says, even NE struggled to beat them and so did the Ravens (37-34). We knew that was going to be a tough game, those guys have played even the best teams this year down to the wire. But look at the stats, besides some gaudy, but mostly ineffective passing yards by Ryan Fitzpatrick, we TROUNCED the Bills in nearly every category. A 63% success rate on 3rd down? That's huge for us....

Why did we only win by 3 points? A big reason?

Bills - 4 penalties for 20 yards.
Steelers - 10 penalties for 107 yards.

Not only that, but at least a couple of those penalties were potential game-changers (like sacks that turn into 15 yard gains for roughing the passer) that completely altered the flow of the game.

Keep in mind who we play this weekend. The Ravens will be just as susceptible to outrageous penalties as us-- they play the same breed of defense.

Despite all the rah-rah for Unibrow Flacco, he is not exactly elite or lighting it up this season. They only beat us by 3 points last time, without Big Dummy behind center.

If the injury to his foot did not affect Ben's play against the Bills much, it won't be a factor a week later while wearing a protective boot. You can bet that Tomlin and company are just playing a litle smoke and mirrors, and probably trying to be cautious in their predictions for Ben's health. We all know that as much as we love the Big Guy #7, he IS a bit of a drama queen.....he will be fine tomorrow.

I have seen something different from the Steelers the last two weeks than some of you-- you see a team struggling with injuries, I see a team starting to hit their stride and starting to BELIEVE again, like they did back in 2008. The only thing we have struggled with the last two weeks has been the yokels in the black and white stripes (with a certain monkey wearing a suit and sitting in an office in NYC pulling their respective strings).

If the Steelers take this one tomorrow, we are on our way and seeing the beginning of another Steelers playoff run....my biggest wish-- that we ride all the way to SEVEN, via Foxboro (although I would admit it is an easier ride if the road to the SB went through Heinz).

Keep your heads up and don't lose confidence in this team. Tomlin hasn't, the team hasn't, the fans should not either.

GO STEELERS!!!!

On the Stairway to Seven
Old 12-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Default Re: The Sky is Falling...

Hopeless optimism? I'd rather be wrong than pick against the Steelers....
Old 12-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

By the way, not calling anybody out or anything....we are all frustrated with some of the crap that has been going on this season, and it is easy to become pesimistic and downtrodden. I have been there too this year.

Have faith in the guys.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

You make some good points and I hope you're right, but you always have to come down to earth. I think the offense is just has great, and I mean GREAT, potential, but Arians is holding them back. The best way to win this game is just be consistent. Just control the game for the full 60 even if it's 3-0 at the end.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,006 Times in 405 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

post of the year .....
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
iceman000123
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13147

That's what I'm talking about! Never back down! Not a whole lot of things get me as excited as a rivalry game between the Steelers and Ravens! I'm confident we got this and looking forward to waving the terrible towel all game!
Old 12-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Like ur optimism. I'm still going to be optimistic even if we lose. We still got a lot of football left.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Relax, folks.

I can't believe some of the stuff I am reading from fellow Steelers fans around here. I hope the Steelers themselves don't come out on the field with the same "whipped dog" mentality that is prevalent around here this morning.

We aren't as bad off in the injury department as everyone is making it sound. Our major weakness on the Oline right now is unfortunately, Jonathan Scott at LT. He IS getting better though and will continue to as the season rolls on. Right now, Kemo is getting healthy (which is good for our run game), Pouncey is still chuggin, and Ramon Foster is taking the RG position, which was a huge improvement over the season starter, Trai Essex. The Hotel seems to have grown into his role as well. We found some guys we can run behind finally.

On our defensive line, we are expecting Kiesel Diesel back, and while I was critical of Ziggy Hood to start the season, he is starting to bring some consistency and descent run stoppage (no, not at Smith's level, but not many guys can manage that, but at least the big run plays have been taken away). He is also our best pass-rushing defensive end, and he opens things up for Woodley.

Folks keep fixating on the Bills game and the fact we only won by 3 points in overtime. Whoopee. Not many teams have flat-out crushed the Bills this season, and they are a lot better than their record says, even NE struggled to beat them and so did the Ravens (37-34). We knew that was going to be a tough game, those guys have played even the best teams this year down to the wire. But look at the stats, besides some gaudy, but mostly ineffective passing yards by Ryan Fitzpatrick, we TROUNCED the Bills in nearly every category. A 63% success rate on 3rd down? That's huge for us....

Why did we only win by 3 points? A big reason?

Bills - 4 penalties for 20 yards.
Steelers - 10 penalties for 107 yards.

Not only that, but at least a couple of those penalties were potential game-changers (like sacks that turn into 15 yard gains for roughing the passer) that completely altered the flow of the game.

Keep in mind who we play this weekend. The Ravens will be just as susceptible to outrageous penalties as us-- they play the same breed of defense.

Despite all the rah-rah for Unibrow Flacco, he is not exactly elite or lighting it up this season. They only beat us by 3 points last time, without Big Dummy behind center.

If the injury to his foot did not affect Ben's play against the Bills much, it won't be a factor a week later while wearing a protective boot. You can bet that Tomlin and company are just playing a litle smoke and mirrors, and probably trying to be cautious in their predictions for Ben's health. We all know that as much as we love the Big Guy #7, he IS a bit of a drama queen.....he will be fine tomorrow.

I have seen something different from the Steelers the last two weeks than some of you-- you see a team struggling with injuries, I see a team starting to hit their stride and starting to BELIEVE again, like they did back in 2008. The only thing we have struggled with the last two weeks has been the yokels in the black and white stripes (with a certain monkey wearing a suit and sitting in an office in NYC pulling their respective strings).

If the Steelers take this one tomorrow, we are on our way and seeing the beginning of another Steelers playoff run....my biggest wish-- that we ride all the way to SEVEN, via Foxboro (although I would admit it is an easier ride if the road to the SB went through Heinz).

Keep your heads up and don't lose confidence in this team. Tomlin hasn't, the team hasn't, the fans should not either.

GO STEELERS!!!!

On the Stairway to Seven

Trust me dude, I've watched this team for a LONG time and as a FAN, do nothing but embrace this game that we are all going to be witnessing (AGAIN!) It's a beautiful scenario and these are games that has DEFINED Pittsburgh Steelers football.

Still, it doesn't exclude the fact that this ONE game, against a division rival that's been back and forth since 2000, determines the 1&2 seeds in the playoffs, versus the loser's 5&6 seeds or possibly NO seeds in the hunt! There is a LOT riding in ONE WEEKS notice. I am as confident as a virgin thinking of his first f*ck, but at the same time, realizing it can go to shit when it's all said and done! I say BRING-IT-ON!

HERE WE GO!

Last edited by StainlessStill; 12-04-2010 at 09:31 PM.
StainlessStill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

hey, even if we lose to the Ravens it's not like we've never finished the last 8 possible games 8-0 and with another Superbowl...
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

By the way, did I mention that I hope the road to SB XLV is through Foxboro, and that we finally end Marsha's 25-game home winning streak? Did I mention that I hate the Patriots too?

If the Steelers can give ME anything for Christmas, I want to see Troy eat up one of Brady's passes for a pick 6 and spike the ball IN THEIR ENDZONE-- IN THEIR FACES this time around.

I don't think I have ever wished actual harm on any players, but Tom Brady brought me as close to that as ever when he spiked that ball in our faces that night.

We ended their 21-game win streak in 2004, time to end another one of their streaks...