Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Lebeau's test

Lebeau has been a great defensive coordinator ...but still...he is not God.

Some teams have him figured out. It is unclear at this point whether the deficiency in the pass defense lies in the talent, scheme and play calling or execution.

It seems to me that we have a very talented bunch so I would guess that a bunch of the problems are in the the play calling. In this game of chess, we are getting beat.

I truly respect all Lebeau has contributed to the game but now I believe it is time to show he can adapt. It is time for him to show he can out think the other team. It is time to show that he has studied the other team and has ways to stop them.

I'll be watching tonight.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
SteelKnight
Team President

Default Re: Lebeau's test

And i'll just point out that whenever he retires, Keith Butler (if he is here) will probably do just fine. The Ravens have still been good without Rex Ryan. The Saints had a good offense that went to the Superbowl after losing their OC. Part of it is developing the plays and philosophy. So long as the new coach keeps that, it can still work. In addition he might have some fixes for the porous pass defense.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Injuries couldn't have anything to do with it
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
Lebeau has been a great defensive coordinator ...but still...he is not God.

Some teams have him figured out. It is unclear at this point whether the deficiency in the pass defense lies in the talent, scheme and play calling or execution.

It seems to me that we have a very talented bunch so I would guess that a bunch of the problems are in the the play calling. In this game of chess, we are getting beat..
Cornerback play has been spotty. As far as talent goes there is a reason a horrible Cardinals team let McFadden go and we all know how Willie Gay turned out as a starter last season as well as Gay's performance in the New England game this season

Consider the possibility the front seven covers the deficiencies in the secondary which are exposed when there is not sufficient pressure - exhibit A is Flacco's game winning TD pass in week 4 when LeBeau dialed up a blitz with Polamalu and a LB that could not get to Flacco and resulted in McFadden being beaten soundly. If we see the weak link rest assured LeBeau does and is attempting to scheme around it
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post

Injuries couldn't have anything to do with it
What did Tomlin say "No excuses. No explanation". I don't think we can blame the horrible pass defense on Smith and Keisel being hurt. Their pass D was not very good with both in there.

So either these guys are not in the right spots or Lebeau is being outsmarted. This is chess and he needs to game plan.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Cornerback play has been spotty. As far as talent goes there is a reason a horrible Cardinals team let McFadden go and we all know how Willie Gay turned out as a starter last season as well as Gay's performance in the New England game this season

Consider the possibility the front seven covers the deficiencies in the secondary which are exposed when there is not sufficient pressure - exhibit A is Flacco's game winning TD pass in week 4 when LeBeau dialed up a blitz with Polamalu and a LB that could not get to Flacco and resulted in McFadden being beaten soundly. If we see the weak link rest assured LeBeau does and is attempting to scheme around it
I hope you are right. We will see tonight. Last I checked, teams were completing greater than 2/3rd of their passes on us.

I agree the pass rush has an effect and yes, Smith being gone hurts the pass rush somewhat...but there are tons of holes in the zones...namely the out flats and certain holes in the middle left and middle right.

Let's watch tonight. I'm not saying he's not a great mind...but that he is not adapting well enough. Next time we play the Pats, he better rework something.

We'll see tonight.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
What did Tomlin say "No excuses. No explanation". I don't think we can blame the horrible pass defense on Smith and Keisel being hurt. Their pass D was not very good with both in there.

So either these guys are not in the right spots or Lebeau is being outsmarted. This is chess and he needs to game plan.
It seems to me we are one of the worst second half teams in the league, the coaching staff from top to bottom could probably do a better job with halftime adjustments. There are far too many times that we start blowing it on both sides of the ball in the 3rd and 4th quarter.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,113 Times in 533 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

I think it can be blamed on a little bit of everything. The secondary looks anemic at tackling sometimes but the fact that we rely on zone so much and have them line up like 8-10 yards off the receiver sometimes doesnt help stop the short passing game either. Sometimes Im sitting there just screaming at my tv (particularly I remmeber this in the Pats game) because it's like 3rd and 5 and I can see the conversion coming from a mile away because Ike and Bryant are playing way too far off their men.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
It seems to me we are one of the worst second half teams in the league, the coaching staff from top to bottom could probably do a better job with halftime adjustments. There are far too many times that we start blowing it on both sides of the ball in the 3rd and 4th quarter.
With a lower third of the league offense this team will live on the edge

In 2008 there were a number of wins that went down to the last minute or OT (both Baltimore regular season games, Dallas, San Diego regular season)

Last season those close wins turned into last minute losses

So far this season there has been 1 last minute loss (Baltimore) and three games (Cincinnati, Miami, Buffalo) where the Steelers just as easily could have lost - so this season has not ben the train wreck of 2009

That better continue since I believe 11-5 will be required to get a wild card
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
With a lower third of the league offense this team will live on the edge

In 2008 there were a number of wins that went down to the last minute or OT (both Baltimore regular season games, Dallas, San Diego regular season)

Last season those close wins turned into last minute losses

So far this season there has been 1 last minute loss (Baltimore) and three games (Cincinnati, Miami, Buffalo) where the Steelers just as easily could have lost - so this season has not ben the train wreck of 2009

That better continue since I believe 11-5 will be required to get a wild card
Agreed, those 3 wins you mentioned could have easily and in a couple cases probably should have been loses, imagine the furor on this board if we were 5-6 instead of 8-3. It's an unsettling trend in the Tomlin era that we can not slam the door shut on games we are winning in the 4th quarter. I think we all got spoiled with the way Cowher could slam the door shut, but some of these comebacks are ridiculous (Oakland last year Cincinatti this year).
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote