Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-04-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,652 Times in 4,009 Posts
Default willie parker perspective

so far, id take him over kevin jones, steven davis (duh, i meant steven jackson), or julius jones.

oh wait. the steelers already did. remember 2 years ago when the debate was whether the steelers should draft jones or steven to replace bettis? instead they picked up w. parker as an undrafted f.a.

the steelers essentially traded one of these backs for big ben, bettis, and 1200 yd free agent back, willie parker.

willie did just as well as the top 3 backs chosen in last years draft too.

in his 1st year starting willie has outpreformed any season from the top 6 rb's in the last 2 drafts; this while sharing time and td's with a legend.

reggie bush and lendale white definitely look good but lets not lose sight of what weve got. especially for the absolute minimum ($230,000) per year. willie has already earned any payraise he will be getting. (and will still be underpaid compared to some of these other's contracts)

how far would k. jones and t. maddox gotten us to this point?

Last edited by tony hipchest; 04-04-2006 at 10:52 AM.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:07 AM   #2
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: willie parker perspective

These are all excellent points. And I think that Willie will only get better now that he has a full year of starting under his belt. If he develops some patience, look out. Hopefully he won't let everything go to his head, and will keep in mind that the Steelers are the reason he's in the NFL. I'd like to see him stay in Pittsburgh for a long time.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,192 Times in 599 Posts

him and Lendale white would be the perfect compliments to each other. It would also prolong their careers....
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:02 AM   #4
ExtonSteelFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1867

I'm a little skeptical of Willie. He has excellent speed and sure he can break a long one, but I just hope that he can stay consistent this year. I would also think he's going to pack on a few pounds during the off-season because that's one of my concerns, he's not a power back who can pound the ball like bettis could. I have confidence in him though!

btw, this is my first post here but I've been reading the forums for a while now
ExtonSteelFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Avoid Lloyd
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtonSteelFan
I'm a little skeptical of Willie. He has excellent speed and sure he can break a long one, but I just hope that he can stay consistent this year. I would also think he's going to pack on a few pounds during the off-season because that's one of my concerns, he's not a power back who can pound the ball like bettis could. I have confidence in him though!

btw, this is my first post here but I've been reading the forums for a while now
Welcome to the boards!

However, I've gotta disagree with your post

If Willie packs on some weight he's going to lose his amazing speed, which is his #1 attribute. He doesn't need to be a power back, we can always get another of those. Finding a RB with Willie Parker speed is rare.
Avoid Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:29 AM   #6
ExtonSteelFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoid Lloyd
Welcome to the boards!

However, I've gotta disagree with your post

If Willie packs on some weight he's going to lose his amazing speed, which is his #1 attribute. He doesn't need to be a power back, we can always get another of those. Finding a RB with Willie Parker speed is rare.
Thanks for the welcome!

You have a point there, but I guess my main problem is that I dont want to see 50% of his rushing yardage come by way of one 70 yd break, ya know? Like MattsMe said above, if he develops some patience he will be pretty dangerous. When he breaks out, not many people can catch him...he just keeps pulling away. I have confidence in him and I hope he goes out there this year and settles all my fears!
ExtonSteelFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

The Steelers were just as surprised at Willie parkers success, as we all were. I dont think they ever thought he would be the starter. I think Jones, Davis, or Jones may have been a huge improvement over Staley, so far anyway
Old 04-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
The Steelers were just as surprised at Willie parkers success, as we all were. I dont think they ever thought he would be the starter. I think Jones, Davis, or Jones may have been a huge improvement over Staley, so far anyway
The point Tony makes I agree with 100%. The price is incredibly low. The potential is there yet still hard for me to put a finger on. Can he go 16 games AND be there in the post-season? All the talk about bringing in new back (i.e White) isn't a knock on Parker. When it comes to putting quality tailbacks in the stable GREED is GOOD!

Were you really surprised that a non-starter from a mediocre North Carolina college football program now has the longest rush from the line of scrimmage in the Super Bowl...as a Steeler??????
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:13 PM   #9
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

If we got White at 32.. that would still be a steal IMO. Willie was a definate steal as far as how we got him and what he provided to us. We have had some success of guys over the years that have done well for us in the later rounds (or not drafted)
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
The point Tony makes I agree with 100%. The price is incredibly low. The potential is there yet still hard for me to put a finger on. Can he go 16 games AND be there in the post-season? All the talk about bringing in new back (i.e White) isn't a knock on Parker. When it comes to putting quality tailbacks in the stable GREED is GOOD!

Were you really surprised that a non-starter from a mediocre North Carolina college football program now has the longest rush from the line of scrimmage in the Super Bowl...as a Steeler??????
Thats what I said," The Steelers were just as surprised as us"