Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323
Default Re: willie parker perspective

Jerome Bettis brought out the absolute best in Willie Parker. I wonder if he CAN be the same type of threat when he has nobody to talk to for direction/encouragement. Bettis really held his hand last season.

He's earned a raise, no doubt about that, but he's lacking professional maturity at this point, IMHO.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #12
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Good points Tony...
Old 04-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #13
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Willie is a great back, but hes gonna need some help, his success was largely due because Bettis would come in on short yardage. Willie is not going to pick up 3rd and 3 like bettis did.......We need to pick up a back that will complement willie in the backfield. Staley is not going to stay healthy (although i wish he would, 2yrs ago he had over 700yards in the first 5-6 games?) anyway, Lendale White would be a huge pick for the Steelers but i dont know what we would have to give up for him.

Are there any BIG backs comming out of college next year???
Old 04-05-2006, 03:46 AM   #14
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIIOwheelz
Jerome Bettis brought out the absolute best in Willie Parker. I wonder if he CAN be the same type of threat when he has nobody to talk to for direction/encouragement. Bettis really held his hand last season.

He's earned a raise, no doubt about that, but he's lacking professional maturity at this point, IMHO.

I couldn't agree more. Even though Duce will be stepping into the Mentor role, as well as Verron Haynes, I do not think they have the caring, nurturing attitude that Jerome had.

And I agree with the other post in that I do not think Duce will make it the entire season without injury and missing games. That will hurt us...even though Verron will definitely be stepping up for 3rd downs, it still isn't the same as the Red Zone Mudder that we had in Jerome.

I sure am gonna miss him.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #15
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,369 Times in 4,305 Posts

someone on steelers.com did their homework and had a good response to this knock on w. parker:

And in contrast, a big back could have broken a lot of the runs that Parker got stuffed on.

"Here's my issue with Parker. How can a team have somebody who has to be sidelined in the second half when the team has a lead because he can't move the ball consistently enough to grind out the clock, as their feature back ?

Yet another misconception about Parker. The Steelers had 11 games last year (including playoffs) when they had second half leads and needed to grind out the clock. Here are those games:

vs Tenn - Parker's last carry came at 4:18 left in the 3rd with the score 27-7. Haynes took over to 'grind the game out.'

vs. Hou - Parker's last carry came at 4:22 left in the 4th with the score 27-7. Again Haynes took over to grind it out.

vs Cin - Parker's last carry came at 9:38 left in the 4th with the score 27-6. Again it was Haynes in mop up duty.

vs Chi - Parker's last carry came at 7:44 left in the 3rd with the score 14-3 (21-3 4 plays later). Bettis came in to grind it out.

vs Min - Parker left with 8:31 left in the game. Score = 18-3. Again it was Haynes to mop up.

vs Cle - Parker left with 9:13 left in the game with the score 27-0 (after his 80 yard run). Haynes/Bettis mopped up.

vs Det - Parker left with 4:13 left in the game with the Steelers up 35-21. Haynes came into wrap it up

Playoffs:

vs Cin - Parker left with 7:37 left in the 4th with the Steelers up by 14. Bettis and Haynes wrapped it up.

vs Den - Parker left at 6:51 left in the 3rd up 24-3. Bettis grinded it out.

vs Indy - Parker left with 7:14 in 4th up 21-10. Bettis came in up 21-18 (we all know what happened).

vs Sea - Parker left with 10:46 left up 21-10. Bettis grinded out the SB win!

For the most part, Parker wasn't yanked in these games because ''Cowher didn't trust him with a lead.'' He was yanked because the leads were so huge that it didn't matter who was in there. There were only 2 games where the outcome was even remotely in doubt: vs Indy and vs Sea. And Parker played into the 4th quarter in both of those games before being pulled for Bettis with the Steelers up by 11. That's just good roster management and not necessarily a knock on Parker. Of course, that strategy almost cost us the Indy game.

IMO, the whole ''we need a big back to grind out leads'' is completely overblown. In the past, the Steelers needed a grinder to protect mediocre to bad QBs. That's not the case anymore."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i still think we need a big grind it out back but not because of limitations on parker. it is what the steelers do. notice how fresh "old man" bettis was at the end of the season? willie and haynes too. people like ben, hines, heath, willie and jerome will always have smaller numbers than some of the elite fantasy players but that is more because of the philosophy and system, than the lack of capabilities and talent of the aformentionned players.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #16
MichiSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 959

I'd take Steven Jackson over Willie Parker. Hes a great, young talented all around back

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me."- Jack Lambert

Go Buckeyes and Spartans!
MichiSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:02 PM   #17
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

There are alot of running backs in the league that may be better than Willie overall, it is what it is. But Willie is on our team so i dont even think about somoene else from a different team being better. Alot of a running backs success ( maybe two i can think of that it didnt matter in Payton and sanders) but Willie will definately benifit from our O Line as any running back would and that is the most important part of our team. We should be making sure that our O line will be intact for years to come because for ben or our running backs to have sucees, that is where it always starts.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:18 PM   #18
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

If Staley stays healthy, Willie will be more productive than last season
Old 04-17-2006, 02:13 AM   #19
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightwriter1
There are alot of running backs in the league that may be better than Willie overall, it is what it is. But Willie is on our team so i dont even think about somoene else from a different team being better. Alot of a running backs success ( maybe two i can think of that it didnt matter in Payton and sanders) but Willie will definately benifit from our O Line as any running back would and that is the most important part of our team. We should be making sure that our O line will be intact for years to come because for ben or our running backs to have sucees, that is where it always starts.

The only passages I have ever read that are more true....were true Gospel.

You nailed that one!
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:38 AM   #20
Busforever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1065

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
For the most part, Parker wasn't yanked in these games because ''Cowher didn't trust him with a lead.'' He was yanked because the leads were so huge that it didn't matter who was in there. There were only 2 games where the outcome was even remotely in doubt: vs Indy and vs Sea. And Parker played into the 4th quarter in both of those games before being pulled for Bettis with the Steelers up by 11. That's just good roster management and not necessarily a knock on Parker.
I totally agree with that. Tomlinson would be sidelined in the same case just to prevent injuries. If we have depth at RB like we had last year, we have to use it.