Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-17-2006, 09:04 AM   #21
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: willie parker perspective

I don't think that if Willie were to pick up about 15lbs he would lose his speed. As long as he does it smartly and puts on muscle. I think Parker can actually grind it out, as long as he is more patient this year. If Bettis got hit at the LOS he wasnt going forward. He was able to gain short yardage because he was patient (now once he got going he would crush poor secondary in his path) and that patience to let the hole develop was the reason he was able to pick up most of the yardage he got. Once Willie gets into that type of groove, he will be scary. Once he gets into the backfield he is a homerun just waiting to happen. The nice thing for him is that we have Ben who can stop people from stacking the LOS with his game management skills and that will help Willie out tremendously. I think a tall receiver to compliment Ward possesions skills will be the most beneficial thing our running game can get this year.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #22
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

Even though I am a huge fan of Willie Parker, I thin the jury is still out there. Lets see what he does this season.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:08 PM   #23
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

I think Willie be will just fine, All of our line is back, no serious injurys.. we have a couple decent reserves in Okobi, Essex, Kemo .. all of our younger players notched up another year of experience including Willie... I can see Willie and Duce running for 1000 this year with Ben tipping the 4000 yard scale.

I say this because i am ( hoping ) our defense wil be better in another year under ****ie L. Our secondary is fairly young and i am expecting that Taylor, McFadden, Colclough, Troy, will be a lil better in pass coverage with one more year under their belt and we make some of those 3rd down stops on passing plays in which we were close to dead last in league on. We should have the ball more offensively and so everyones numbers should be a little better.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:33 AM   #24
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightwriter1
I think Willie be will just fine, All of our line is back, no serious injurys.. we have a couple decent reserves in Okobi, Essex, Kemo .. all of our younger players notched up another year of experience including Willie... I can see Willie and Duce running for 1000 this year with Ben tipping the 4000 yard scale.

I say this because i am ( hoping ) our defense wil be better in another year under ****ie L. Our secondary is fairly young and i am expecting that Taylor, McFadden, Colclough, Troy, will be a lil better in pass coverage with one more year under their belt and we make some of those 3rd down stops on passing plays in which we were close to dead last in league on. We should have the ball more offensively and so everyones numbers should be a little better.
I couldn't of said it better! Tweak the secondary. That was my fear all of last year...work the oppositions offense down to 3rd....then a short pass and we'd have to do it all over again 'cuz they made the 1st down. We MUST improve that part of our game!
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:16 AM   #25
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Cool Re: willie parker perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busforever
I totally agree with that. Tomlinson would be sidelined in the same case just to prevent injuries. If we have depth at RB like we had last year, we have to use it.

True Dat! I remember watching the old Houston Oilers run old Earl Campbell into the ground. If you want someone to last a while, you hafta rest them...you cannot run Daytona without oil!
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:43 AM   #26
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightwriter1

Your right, If Willie ever figures out which hole is supposed to hit he could be one of the best next season. Would have be neat to hire The Bus as a rb coach!

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #27
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtonSteelFan
I'm a little skeptical of Willie. He has excellent speed and sure he can break a long one, but I just hope that he can stay consistent this year. I would also think he's going to pack on a few pounds during the off-season because that's one of my concerns, he's not a power back who can pound the ball like bettis could. I have confidence in him though!

btw, this is my first post here but I've been reading the forums for a while now
The Steelers dont really on a 1 back attack anymore like they used to with Barry Foster.. He was an exception on the field in his prime. willie will continue to be the starter, he's earned that right to be penciled in as such but when it comes to 3rd and 1 or 4th and goal, u better believe Duce or whoever we get in the draft will be getting the call. Our running game has evolved into a 2 back attack, and while we may not have the NFL's leading rusher on our team any more, or even come close to it, we'll still be as effective as ever. Willie does run hard and tough for his size but we'll never be without some type of power back to compliment him.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:53 PM   #28
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL
Your right, If Willie ever figures out which hole is supposed to hit he could be one of the best next season. Would have be neat to hire The Bus as a rb coach!
Sometimes I think Willie is there before the hole develops, these linemen are usually waiting for a Bettis to hit the hole, Willie sometimes out runs his blocks, not always a bad problem to Have
Old 04-25-2006, 07:33 AM   #29
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Sometimes I think Willie is there before the hole develops, these linemen are usually waiting for a Bettis to hit the hole, Willie sometimes out runs his blocks, not always a bad problem to Have

Didnt think about it that way but you sure could be right.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:06 AM   #30
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL
Didnt think about it that way but you sure could be right.
? Hell I dont know if I`m right either, but we need a fourth back anyway, whether or not Willie is ready to take the full load, I say he is ready, he might be smaller, but damn if he doesnt play bigger, he looks strong as hell