Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-24-2014, 05:01 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,882 Times in 1,627 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 9.23.14

Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon, let's begin

Guest: Do you think having Harrison give us an advantage when we play Cincinnati? He should know a little about their schemes now.

Ed Bouchette: No, I don't think that matters. If the Steelers do not know what schemes the Bengals run by now, they won't learn more by James Harrison telling them.

Love4SilverBack: Ed, with Moats and Spence having a bit more experience and strength than Jones and Shazier, would it be possible that the LB corps might actually be a bit beter, albeit a tad slower, due to better discipline and fewer mental mistakes?

Ed Bouchette: From what I've seen of Arthur Moats, he can handle that job. I don't know if he's going to be better because I think Jarvis Jones was starting to come on over there. What we don't know about Sean Spence is whether he can play day in and day out because he has not done that since his last college season in 2011.
I still think it's possible that we could see Vince Williams at the buck and Lawrence Timmons move back to the mack, although I do believe they will go with Spence at the mack to start out.

Dennis: How long will Ike be out and how will they reshuffle the def backs?

Ed Bouchette: I don't think you will see Ike Taylor for two months, if they can carry him that long on the roster without needing that spot.

Tommy Tuna: We are all aware of James' commitment to fitness and this work ethic but do you have any idea as to his conditioning level since he has been away from the game for several months?

Ed Bouchette: No, which is why Mike Tomlin said he wants to see where he is. I do know that Brett Keisel stepped right in and played at age 36 and Harrison is even more of a workout fanatic.

Love4SilverBack: Will Blake being taking over for Gay next week against TB? He had some good plays, but looked to be outmatched but a much taller Benjamin.

Ed Bouchette: Willie Gay will start and someone -- Antwon Blake or Brice McCain or B.W. Webb -- will join him when they use 3 corners, with Gay moving inside in his usual slot position in that package.

John in DC: Is Will Gay the better options over Taylor at this point anyways? No offensive to Ike, one of the long time rocks of this team, but is this sort of a blessing in disguise?

Ed Bouchette: I really believe if the coaches thought that, they would have been starting Gay.

the Dude: Champ Bailey?

Ed Bouchette: What do you think this is, the Salvation Army?

IdahoSteeler: So now that we brought Harrison back, what happens if, heaven forbid, Arthur Moats goes down?? Please tell me your answer does not include Chris Carter?

Ed Bouchette: Chris Carter plays for the Colts. We can play this game with every position on the roster. they could sign rookie Howard Jones from the practice squad. One thing they prefer not to do is move Lawrence Timmons outside as they did once before because of injuries and lack of depth.

Scott: Ed: What will it cost Harrison to get #92 back? Or will McCullers hand it over ?

Ed Bouchette: Harrison will wear No. 92, as I said in a Tweet earlier. McCullers will wear No. 62. I'm not sure if there was any negotiation that went on other than the Steelers telling McCullers to give it up.

Mike-EE: Ed, How does the defense change tactics to cover up our less than stellar cover corners?

Ed Bouchette: They have to put more pressure on the quarterback. it's the only answer.

JamesinNYC: Does TB's size at WR change who starts? We are going to miss Ike's size if not hands.

Ed Bouchette: No, because their corners are not tall. They could sign rookie Shaq Richardson, who is 6 feet, from their practice squad but I don't see that happening.
It's Tampa Bay, for crying out loud.

The4ngryG4mer: NBC's coverage of the game showed Tomlin kissing Ike on the top of the head on his way off the field. Ike seems to be one of the most respected players from a management and coaching perspective

Ed Bouchette: Saw that. Did not draw nearly the kind of attention Bill Cowher did when he kissed Kordell Stewart.

FloridaSTEELERS: Ed, do you see the Steelers as an undisciplined team that takes too many penalties, or are they flagged just as much as any team these days?

Ed Bouchette: Mike Tomlin addressed that today and did not sound happy with all the penalties. I would hesitate to use the word "undisciplined," though.

Scott: Ed, why are some people so down on Harrison? If they are judging solely by his performance in Cincinnati, shouldn't they consider that 4-3 might not have been a good fit? I thought he played decently well his last year in Pittsburgh.

Ed Bouchette: I agree with you about the Bengals and him being a fish out of water there, but let's also remember he last played for the Steelers two years ago. They signed him because he was the best available option. If they really, really wanted him back, they would have signed him in April. Brett Keisel has worked out well enough early in his return, so everyone should keep an open mind about Harrison.

Mike-EE: Ed, from a medical perspective, can you recover from a dislocated wrist (Jarvis) and fractured forearm (Ike) and play competitive football in less than 12 weeks?

Ed Bouchette: I do not have a medical degree. Doctors I've seen quoted say you can.

Subspace Interference: Newspaper articles, slogs, videos, chats and now we have to read Tweets too?

Ed Bouchette: 2 1/2 years running, baby.

Guest: Do you think Cody Wallace should get an opportunity to compete with Ramon Foster at LG? Understand it was just one game, and one offensive lineman isn't the reason they ran for 250 yards, but shouldn't they at least consider the correlation?

Ed Bouchette: No. He did a nice job while the starter was out, that's all.

The4ngryG4mer: How would you rate Jason Worild's play to this point? I still see alot of inconsistency

Ed Bouchette: I see a lot of average.

John in DC: Ed, true or false; even with the injuries, 4-0 over the next month is not only realistic, but the goal if this team wants to go anywhere this season?

Ed Bouchette: The goal is to win every game they play. I think they would take 3-1.

Arnie: At this point they're going to have to use Harrison at CB with all the injuries, how can a professional team have such lousy depth at such a crucial position?

Ed Bouchette: This ain't the '70s. All teams are spread thin because of free agency and the salary cap.

Randy C: great chat as always Ed, my question is about former players coaching: with the success of Joey Porter and Carnell Lake as positional coaches, do you foresee someone like Kordell coming back to work with QB's?

Ed Bouchette: Not that particular person, no, and that's nothing against Kordell Stewart, just that I don't see him coaching.

Jon from Robinson: If it takes 3 years to learn the Steeler's defense, does that hurt your team in the long run?

Ed Bouchette: It did not seem to hurt them for most of this century, when they've been running the same defense.

Joe: How much money does Harrison have to pay the league this year?

Ed Bouchette: He might want to go a little easier on his criticism of the CEO.

Esther: Saw you mentioned Kordell Stewart in an answer, have not heard hide nor hair of him in years. Is he estranged from the team? Would they welcome him back to retire as a steeler?

Ed Bouchette: He already did "retire" as a Steeler which, I suppose, qualifies him to return to play for them. I believe he still does a radio show in Atlanta.

Wild Bill: Are you suprised or maybe pleasantly suprised at how creative Haley has been to get the ball into playmakers hands? Are they using different plays this year?

Ed Bouchette: Isn't that the job of the offensive coordinator? Maybe he just has more playmakers this year.

Guest: Thoughts on Lance Moore possibly receiving more playing time this week over Justin Brown?

Ed Bouchette: It sounds as though Justin Brown has Mike Tomlin's confidence more than Lance Moore right now.

Jack R: I thought we could trust Decastro not to take a dumb penalty like the one he did Sunday night. I guess not.

Ed Bouchette: Think of it as a pitcher retaliating for one of his star hitters getting plunked.

Rancy C: Follow up question, why does Kordell not get the respect he deserves as a Steeler great?

Ed Bouchette: Another question: Was he a Steeler great?

Love4SilverBack: Do you see Harrison used in only situational pass rushing or more pronounced roles?

Ed Bouchette: I believe Mike Tomlin when he said they will see how things go this week in practice and beyond.

Jack R: Did anyone ask Tomlin about that pass to Wheaton in the endzone and why it wasn't reviewed. We never did get to see a good replay

Ed Bouchette: I saw one. He stepped out of bounds, came back in and caught it. Illegal catch.

Love4SilverBack: Would Harrison be expected to fill-in a special teams spot since Moats and Spence are now starting? Or would they just have double the duties?

Ed Bouchette: Harrison played special teams when he started, why can't they?

Jack R: Ed, when the steeleres are receiveing a punt, what is the point of those gunners racing down the field, not looking at the ball, and invariably getting too close so it can hit them and cause a fumble. Wouldnt it be better to have them wait next to the kick returner and then block?

Ed Bouchette: Because, really, it wasn't smart and I think he would even say that. However, they still managed a FG after that.

Subspace Interference: Does Roger survive this?

Ed Bouchette: I'm told he will. But let's see what the investigation turns up.

Wild Bill: Will Jacksonville and Tampa Bay still be pushovers with their new qB's?

Ed Bouchette: I would say yes.

Steeler Nation (One "S"): James Harrison knows there's only 1 "S" in "Steeler Nation" yet the company he works for continues to disrespect us... Can any of the suitys be trusted to correct this?

Ed Bouchette: Their nickname: Steelers, not Steeler.

Guest: Where you at Ed??

Ed Bouchette: On my chat, brother.

Dude_From_Cali: does FO need to restructure someone's contract to fit Harrison's cap numbers?

Ed Bouchette: No

Steeler Nation (One "S"): NBC failed to show an acceptable angle of M. Wheatons feet after thecall of "out of bounds without reestablishing himself" How does one reestablish himself in that situation... assuming he was out?

Ed Bouchette: He can't be the first to touch the ball after he returns

CuriousGeorge: Ed, NFL question: how bad can this get for the Ravens and Mr. Goodell if they indeed saw the elevator video and attempted to cover it up?

Ed Bouchette: Now if that is shown to be true, all bets are off

Jack R: Ed, are you satisfied with the down field throwing game? IMO, it leaves a lot to be desired. Ben is your best player, let him throw it!!

Ed Bouchette: They explained their game plan was not to go deep against Carolina because the Panthers were good at taking that away. You probably didn't like how their cheerleaders performed on Sunday night either.

Guest: Was Martavis Bryant a healthy scratch Sunday night? And if so can we expect that going forward?

Ed Bouchette: yes and probably yes.

Latrobe Guy: Beware of "pushover" teams. Those have been a major problem for the Steelers in the past few years

Ed Bouchette: Oakland, 3-10, with Bruce Gradkowski in 2009, 27-24 Raiders. At home. Ed Bouchette: Thanks for another great chat. See you next Tuesday for our End of September chat special.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201409230204
Old 09-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 9.23.14

Randy C: great chat as always Ed, my question is about former players coaching: with the success of Joey Porter and Carnell Lake as positional coaches, do you foresee someone like Kordell coming back to work with QB's?

Ed Bouchette: Not that particular person, no, and that's nothing against Kordell Stewart, just that I don't see him coaching.

This guy has got to be kidding. Why would you want Kordell Stewart teaching someone how to play QB? He never learned how to do it when he was playing.

Guest: Do you think Cody Wallace should get an opportunity to compete with Ramon Foster at LG? Understand it was just one game, and one offensive lineman isn't the reason they ran for 250 yards, but shouldn't they at least consider the correlation?

Good job? Seriously? Looked like a great job to me looking at those huge holes that were not there prior to that game. Foster shouldn't see the field again if he can't block like Wallace was doing. I don't think we would have had 2 100+ yard RBs with Foster in there.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,759 Times in 1,069 Posts
Default Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 9.23.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post

This guy has got to be kidding. Why would you want Kordell Stewart teaching someone how to play QB? He never learned how to do it when he was playing.

Good job? Seriously? Looked like a great job to me looking at those huge holes that were not there prior to that game. Foster shouldn't see the field again if he can't block like Wallace was doing. I don't think we would have had 2 100+ yard RBs with Foster in there.
Wallace's pass blocking is pretty poor. Look at Roethlisberger's pump fake TD. If Ben hadn't executed that perfect pump fake then it would've been a clear sack by Wallace's man.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (09-24-2014), SteelerJT (09-24-2014)