Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,557 Times in 2,365 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Our current success will depend on... this year's draft class?

- Pouncey definitely has been a difference maker since the beginning, and is progressing into a very solid player much quicker than I expected. I don't think we could have had a better pick in rd. 1.

- Sanders and Brown have stepped up, but if they could do this consistently, watch out. I like how tomlin is giving them BOTH playing time in favor of leaving the ineffective randle el in the game. The more these kids gets playing experience NOW the quicker they will be bigger playmakers in the future (ie, this season). Brown is also very dangerous in the return game which gives us a scoring threat from ST. Sanders has had some drops in crucial situations, but he's always came back to redeem himself by grabbing key 1st downs. He'd be great if he could limit those drops.

- Special teams coverage has always been our achilles heel, but stevenson sylvester is a freakin beast. I really like this pickup. Surprisingly, emmanuel sanders is also effective in kick coverage too.

- Worilds is showing a lot of promise, but I don't count on him to start. Though it's always a possibility if say, Harrison gets suspended which is likely considering Adolf Goodell is running the show.

I just wish we could have worked crezdon butler into the mix here and there. I guess he hasn't learned lebeau's playbook in swahili yet
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
Default Re: Our current success will depend on... this year's draft class?

Agree on Pouncey and being a Gator fan, he was my pick as Haden was not dropping that far. Now get his brother next year and anchor us for 12 years together.

Promising draft class, solidifid us at WR where we do not need to draft there for the next few years.
LB we are set woth Worilds and Sly
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
WeegiesWarriors
Banned

Member Number: 13183

Sanders is now a STEELER wide receiver. You see that block on Redmen's TD? After Redmen breaks that tackle you see 88 bulldozing a Ratbird DB completely out of the frame. Pushed him about 10 yards, and without that block that DB probably torpedos Redmen's legs short of the goal line.

Steeler WRs MUST block downfield and while I was excited from what I had seen of Sanders from the pass catching standpoint (even with some of his drops), I doubted his desire to block; but that block makes me think he will be a complete Steeler wide receiver. I'm excited about this draft class.
WeegiesWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

i agree guys, but I'm talking this year. They need to come up big now, and our success for this season will be dependent on how well these guys can step up (mostly pouncey, sanders, and brown)

brown and sanders have a big opportunity here. let's be real, after wallace there's nobody that puts fear into opposing db's, and teams have caught on to him and have started treating him like our #1 wr. sanders/brown will give people fits if they win the 1on1 situations they are put in (which they have the talent to do easily).

i just feel this year is much different than the past years, where we were counting on veteran players to do their thing. this year, it seems like we're counting on the young players to step up and contribute.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
#1LambertFan
Starter

Member Number: 5489

I want Mike Pouncy BAD this year! And for god sakes we need more in the secondary. Ike may have 5 years at best left in him and I wanna see a ball hawking corner paired with polamalu and our pass rush.
#1LambertFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegiesWarriors View Post
Sanders is now a STEELER wide receiver. You see that block on Redmen's TD? After Redmen breaks that tackle you see 88 bulldozing a Ratbird DB completely out of the frame. Pushed him about 10 yards, and without that block that DB probably torpedos Redmen's legs short of the goal line.

Steeler WRs MUST block downfield and while I was excited from what I had seen of Sanders from the pass catching standpoint (even with some of his drops), I doubted his desire to block; but that block makes me think he will be a complete Steeler wide receiver. I'm excited about this draft class.
Well he is learning from the best blocking WR you can ask for in Ward.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

^ Watch highlights of Sanders in college. Dude was laying out linebackers and db's on blocks and is a very physical blocker. Not saying hines ward won't make him better, but he was already that kind of player. Sanders was drafted as the eventual replacement for hines ward, not santonio. That's wallace's job
Old 12-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegiesWarriors View Post
Yep. I was going to post a thread about Sanders being the unsung hero of the night, and deserving of a game ball because of not only his catches, but that block, and then immediately following the extra point, the tackle on the kickoff. David Reed had been avering 27-30 yards a return it seemed like, and always seemed like a threat to break one on each of them. That tackle Sanders made forcing them to start at the 18 as opposed to the 30-35 like they had off the other kickoffs made all the difference in the world. 6 more yards, and Baltimore would have been in field goal range.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
^ Watch highlights of Sanders in college. Dude was laying out linebackers and db's on blocks and is a very physical blocker. Not saying hines ward won't make him better, but he was already that kind of player. Sanders was drafted as the eventual replacement for hines ward, not santonio. That's wallace's job
Oh I am not shocked at all to hear he was a fine blocker in college but it never helps to have a mentor like Ward. I am excited though about our young receiving corps. Wallace is something special and I Think both Sanders and Brown can be too. And if Sweed comes back healthy, watch out.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU Steeler View Post
Oh I am not shocked at all to hear he was a fine blocker in college but it never helps to have a mentor like Ward. I am excited though about our young receiving corps. Wallace is something special and I Think both Sanders and Brown can be too. And if Sweed comes back healthy, watch out.

Sweed? Sweed? He's history.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote