Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-05-2006, 05:15 PM   #21
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Fan throws syringe at Bonds

Whether we like or not, little kids that play sports look up to athletes and they do look at them as heroes. It has always been that way and it will always be that way.

There is a reason why kids want autographs, to meet the players or that cool Hines Ward jersey. There is a reason why kids point before they set their feet at the plate, to immitate Babe Ruth. There is a reason why kids give an arm pump after they score a goal in a hockey game, to immitate Mario Lemieux. Why do they do this? Because they look up to those athletes and want to be like them.

While I'm not stating athletes should come into our homes and raise our children, they do need to realize that children look up to them and always will.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-05-2006 at 05:25 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #22
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
They're our soldiers in Iraq. They're our police and firemen protecting us. They are your parents putting a roof over your head and food on your plate.

Athletes aren't and should never be considered heroes.

Back on topic though, while I hate Bonds, throwing the syringe was in bad taste. Don't stoop to his level. He's an *******, everyone knows it, don't be like him.
The soldiers and firemen I agree wit. The problem is that these heroes are not so much in the spotlight that professional sports players are. You don't go sit in a stadium to watch firemen extinguish a blaze or soldiers protect our country. ESPN Sportscenter don't cover the highlights of the latest battle. Like it or not pro players are most easily recognized as role models. Their on TV during the games, on the game highlights on either the news or sportscenter, and now on commercials advertisin almost anythin you can imagine. That's why it becomes so sad when those players start actin more immature and spoiled than the kids that look up to them. Peace.

BuFu
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #23
BBC
Team Captain

Member Number: 2109

Quote:
Originally Posted by HburgXL06
The soldiers and firemen I agree wit. The problem is that these heroes are not so much in the spotlight that professional sports players are. You don't go sit in a stadium to watch firemen extinguish a blaze or soldiers protect our country. ESPN Sportscenter don't cover the highlights of the latest battle. Like it or not pro players are most easily recognized as role models. Their on TV during the games, on the game highlights on either the news or sportscenter, and now on commercials advertisin almost anythin you can imagine. That's why it becomes so sad when those players start actin more immature and spoiled than the kids that look up to them. Peace.

BuFu
And that is what is wrong with this world.
BBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:31 PM   #24
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
Yeah, one of many. What can you do? A great numbers of kids grow up playing sports. They don't grow up putting out fires or dodging a bullet from a terrorist. Something tells me a kid would rather watch a ball game than a full scale battle on CNN or non-stop footage of firefighters going into the WTC buildings only to meet death. Personally, I would have no problem if my kid (if I had one) looked up to Hines Ward or Jerome Bettis.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-05-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #25
BBC
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Yeah, one of many. What can you do?
Not much, just sit back and hope that something changes.

Don't hold your breath though...
Old 04-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #26
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
Not much, just sit back and hope that something changes.

Don't hold your breath though...
I'm not. Personally, I have no problem with it to begin with. If I were to have kids I would show them the difference between Hines Ward and Barry Bonds. It would be nice though to see athletes act more mature these days. Instead of blaming everybody but themselves, getting arrested for drugs, beating family members and acting like complete dopes.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-05-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #27
BBC
Team Captain

Quote:
I'm not. If I were to have kids I would show them the difference between Hines Ward and Barry Bonds. It would be nice though to see athletes act more mature these days. Instead of blaming everybody but themselves, getting arrested for drugs, beating family members and acting like complete dopes.
Yeah, it would be nice for the people our kids look up to look more like adults and idols than thugs and idiots.

Again, don't hold your breath. ;)
Old 04-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #28
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Yeah, I guess it's much like holding your breath on that all of a sudden children will stop looking up to athletes. Not that I see anything wrong with that to begin with as long as it's the right athlete.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #29
BBC
Team Captain

Quote:
Not that I see anything wrong with that to begin with as long as it's the right athlete.
Right, people like Hines, Jerome, and Tillman I wouldn't have a problem with my kids looking up to (obviously I'd much rather it be a war vet - much like Tillman). Much better than T.O. or Bonds.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #30
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
I completely agree wit you on that.

Quote:
Yeah, one of many. What can you do? A great numbers of kids grow up playing sports. They don't grow up putting out fires or dodging a bullet from a terrorist. Something tells me a kid would rather watch a ball game than a full scale battle on CNN or non-stop footage of firefighters going into the WTC buildings only to meet death. Personally, I would have no problem if my kid (if I had one) looked up to Hines Ward or Jerome Bettis.
If/when I have kids I hope there are still men like Bettis and Ward for them to look up to.

BuFu
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote