Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Free Agency Look

Looking ahead again, now I feel:

1. We MUST keep Woodley. He has become part of the character of the Steelers D. At this point he is just as important as Harrison. Now that Thadius Gibson is gone, there is no guilt that a lot of young talent is being wasted. They can continue to develop Worilds as a real back up such that they wouldn't have to move Timons.

2.We must keep Timmons. he is becoming a staple of the Steelers D. At this point, I'm not sure Patrick Willis was a better deal. I'm just as happy with Timmons.

3. We must resign Troy...no brainer.

4. We must resign Ike. He has shown he can hold on to the ball now. (One of his picks was nullified). He is our best cover corner. Gay and BMac just don't cut it. It would be a huge loss to lose him. We can still go after CB talent but not to replace Ike. We would suffer a lot without him.

5. The drama of the kicker is gone...so this leaves a franchise tag for one of the above players if necessary. They could do it as a tribute to Woodley if they want. He would understand because he could get some serious coin and bypass the 30% rule. Meanwhile they could work on a long term deal.

6. Woodley and Ike must be taken care of right away (as soon as the season ends) while the others have the whole summer to work out a deal.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,200 Times in 504 Posts
Default Re: Free Agency Look

Sorry man, but my mind isn't thinking about the off-season! Lets worry about that after we land the #1-2 seed and our flight home from Dallas hoisting another Lombardi!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
StillerzFreak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15955

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
Looking ahead again, now I feel:

1. We MUST keep Woodley. He has become part of the character of the Steelers D. At this point he is just as important as Harrison. Now that Thadius Gibson is gone, there is no guilt that a lot of young talent is being wasted. They can continue to develop Worilds as a real back up such that they wouldn't have to move Timons.

2.We must keep Timmons. he is becoming a staple of the Steelers D. At this point, I'm not sure Patrick Willis was a better deal. I'm just as happy with Timmons.

3. We must resign Troy...no brainer.

4. We must resign Ike. He has shown he can hold on to the ball now. (One of his picks was nullified). He is our best cover corner. Gay and BMac just don't cut it. It would be a huge loss to lose him. We can still go after CB talent but not to replace Ike. We would suffer a lot without him.

5. The drama of the kicker is gone...so this leaves a franchise tag for one of the above players if necessary. They could do it as a tribute to Woodley if they want. He would understand because he could get some serious coin and bypass the 30% rule. Meanwhile they could work on a long term deal.

6. Woodley and Ike must be taken care of right away (as soon as the season ends) while the others have the whole summer to work out a deal.

I agree 100%
StillerzFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Sorry man, but my mind isn't thinking about the off-season! Lets worry about that after we land the #1-2 seed and our flight home from Dallas hoisting another Lombardi!
LOL What made me think of it is people keep saying Ike is expendable. After seeing the CB play last night, I think not.

Also...I must admit, I thought Woodley might be replaceable ...but I have now changed my mind. I don't blame them for wanting money either. For the past 2 seasons Woodley has played like a superstar but hasn't been paid like one. The contract will likely reflect back-pay.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Woodley is in the last year. CBA will dictate if we can get a deal done or not.

Timmons has a longer contract if I recall 5 years as he was the 1st round pick? So he is safe for another year, and I dont think he will go anywhere as farrior/foote will be done at that time, and a younger cheaper guy there leaving more money for Timmons.

Troy has still another year, and I doubt he is going anywhere.

Taylor, hopefully we get a hometown discount. But i think last time the negotiations werent exactly nice nice.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

We have many many needs...This is probably our last stand with the age of this Defense...We need to get faster!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Woodley is in the last year. CBA will dictate if we can get a deal done or not.

Timmons has a longer contract if I recall 5 years as he was the 1st round pick? So he is safe for another year, and I dont think he will go anywhere as farrior/foote will be done at that time, and a younger cheaper guy there leaving more money for Timmons.

Troy has still another year, and I doubt he is going anywhere.

Taylor, hopefully we get a hometown discount. But i think last time the negotiations werent exactly nice nice.
I mentioned Troy and Timmons because we usually negotiate with 1 year left. That will be next summer.

Taylor and Woodley will be emergent as they will hit free agency as soon as the season finishes. Franchise on either would be really pricey.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
We have many many needs...This is probably our last stand with the age of this Defense...We need to get faster!
Yeah...for the 2013 season I think the whole D line and both CBs may be new. I think Farrior will be gone but something tells me Harrison will still be around.

Troy -should give us 4 more years after this
Clark-should give us 3 more years after this
Woodley-should give us 6 more years after this
Timmons-should give us 6 more years after this
Old 12-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Yeah...for the 2013 season I think the whole D line and both CBs may be new. I think Farrior will be gone but something tells me Harrison will still be around.

Troy -should give us 4 more years after this
Clark-should give us 3 more years after this
Woodley-should give us 6 more years after this
Timmons-should give us 6 more years after this
Not sure about the Clark years...He has declined alot. He is 31 now.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
I mentioned Troy and Timmons because we usually negotiate with 1 year left. That will be next summer.

Taylor and Woodley will be emergent as they will hit free agency as soon as the season finishes. Franchise on either would be really pricey.
Franchise tag gives the avergae of the top 5 salaries at the position, correct? Between Asomugha and Revis, franchising a CB is a VERY bad idea...
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote